Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Has anyone ever lived in a camper van?

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
That's the problem with wanting to spend winter in Europe. If you go on 1st January you will have to return by 31st March, and then can't return until September. It's 90 days in any 180 days rolling.

Not quite true although you’re right that it’s not as straightforward as it was and should still be.
Just go to a non-Shengen country
Plenty of options. I toured the Balkans and had some time in North Africa

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Not quite true although you’re right there hat it’s not as straightforward as it was and should still be.
Just go to a non-shengen country
Plenty of options. I toured the Balkans and had some time in North Africa

You'd have to go to one of these:

Albania,
Armenia,
Azerbaijan,
Belarus,
Bosnia & Herzegovina,
Macedonia,
Moldova,
Montenegro,
Serbia,
Ukraine.

But each will have VISA requirements to enter.

nonschengencountries_0.jpg

Or Africa, as you say for the period outside of Europe.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Thank you. I have seen those clapped out vans that seem to be permanently at the top of Wilsons avenue :lolol: I don't intend to be like that.

Do people actually live in those or are they just parked/dumped there?

East Staffs Gull

Jan 16, 2004
Birmingham and Austria

Albania,
Armenia,
Azerbaijan,
Belarus,
Bosnia & Herzegovina,
Macedonia,
Moldova,
Montenegro,
Serbia,
Ukraine.

View attachment 142011

Or get a six month Schengen visa for €150.

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
I assume he has a European passport then, I'd imagine popping back to the UK after 90 days would mess things up.

I don't actually know, though he was already in Europe, especially France, more than the UK pre-Brexit so perhaps there's a settled status kind of thing he was able to get if he hasn't got a passport.

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I don't actually know, though he was already in Europe, especially France, more than the UK pre-Brexit so perhaps there's a settled status kind of thing he was able to get if he hasn't got a passport.

Lucky chap.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Yes. Had a Mazda Bongo V6 for 12 years and had annual trips up to 3 months long. Morocco, Turkey were good trips but getting the ferry from Denmark for 2 months in Iceland was probably the best.
Now have a self converted 3.4L V6 Japanese ambulance. Due to Covid just had one long trip through Poland, Czech, Hungary, Romania, Bulgaria and home through Italy. Other trips are Uk and Ireland due to restrictions. Don’t use campsites or hotels. Find rivers/lakes to swim/wash or a sponge and bowl of hot water in the van.
Recent problem is countries prohibiting campervanners from dossing on their streets, beaches and countryside. Iceland and Portugal have both brought in heavy fines.

CCE82BEE-4A7B-46BC-B157-DB2D9755DC6C.jpeg

Last edited:

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
Arundel is also a popular site for people to live in a van, with the road before Swanbourne Lake free to camp on.

Swanbourne Lake, Arundel would be the address i want if i turned to Van life.

Unfortunately with a 1 year old and 5 year old it's unlikely to happen soon.
[MENTION=41057]m@goo[/MENTION] sounds great in Summer and harder in winter. Maybe 6 month on and 6 months rent?

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
Only recently heard about people living on canal boats in London. You can moor somewhere for 2 weeks max (I think) if you don't have a permanent mooring and then have to move on. So they just keep moving and have a cheap(-ish) central London accommodation.

My sister in law does this. Boat costs around £50k to buy and then a few hundred a year for a ‘moving mooring’. She’s been doing it for years, but it’s started to get very popular now, which makes finding the moorings in decent locations a bit harder. If you can cope with the lack of space it’s surprisingly cosy in winter with a log fire, and of course great in summer. But I couldn’t be doing with all the water/toilet stuff.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove

Albania,
Armenia,
Azerbaijan,
Belarus,
Bosnia & Herzegovina,
Macedonia,
Moldova,
Montenegro,
Serbia,
Ukraine.

View attachment 142011

No Visa needed for Ukraine. It's 90 days allowed in every 180 with a UK passport.

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Yes. Had a Mazda Bongo V6 for 12 years and had annual trips up to 3 months long. Morocco, Turkey we’re good trips but getting the ferry from Denmark for 2 months in Iceland was probably the best.
Now have a self converted 3.4L V6 Japanese ambulance. Due to Covid just had one long trip through Poland, Czech, Hungary, Romania, Bulgaria and home through Italy. Other trips are Uk and Ireland due to restrictions. Don’t use campsites or hotels. Find rivers/lakes to swim/wash or a sponge and bowl of hot water in the van.
Recent problem is countries prohibiting campervanners from dossing on their streets, beaches and countryside. Iceland and Portugal have both brought in heavy fines.

View attachment 142028

Some of the conversions I've seen based upon American Ambulances are amazing, given they come with loads of storage compartments already in place, and a lot of internal wiring etc

Plus they tend to have the overcab area that converts easily into a double bed, like a Luton box van.

The only downside seems to the the awful fuel economy.

I must admit to being jealous that you have been able to travel so widely, I was lucky enough that my parents had a series of campers and motorhomes when I was a kid, and we holidayed in Ireland, Scotland, France, Spain and all the way to Denmark.

One thing I have always wanted to do was make the necessary ferry trips to get to Iceland, as that must be magical to tour round in a campervan.

I would also like to try Morocco or even the Canary Islands which are accessible by Ferry from Spain.

boik

We used to go for a 5week trip to Scotland every year in our Toyota Alphard (think vw size but much nicer) and loved it. Seems that last year lots of new people have gone up there and trashed the beauty spots. The poor locals were not happy and there are lots more "no overnight" signs everywhere.

I'll be glad when these people get back to their foreign beach holidays, even though I want people to cut down on flying. I'm such a hypocrite!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here