Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Has an Albion goalkeeper ever scored a goal?

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
Be interesting to know how many clubs' keepers have scored for them. Only ever used to be the classic hoof forward that catches the wind and sails over the opponent's head. Now you get the occasional last-ditch going-up-for-a-corner routines. I can't imagine Gordon Banks ever fancied that.

Steve Ogrizovic definitely scored a punt for Coventry. Paul Robinson scored twice for Leeds I think. Pretty sure Kasper Schmeichel has one for Leicester, and his old man did the same for Man United. Jimmy Glass, memorably, for Carlisle to keep them in the league. And there's been one at Stevenage this season, though I can't recall if it was for or against them.

Can't ever remember seeing one in an Albion match though, either for or against us. Boooooooooo.

Pedantic but didn't he score for one for Leeds, one for Spurs?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Football is a messed up game

Could not believe this on MOTD last night. Absolutely SHOCKING bit of work from the linesman. Benteke receives the ball very, very obviously offside - there is only ONE Leicester player in that HALF ffs!

(Obviously not at all surprised that Alan Shearer et al, didn't comment on it)

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Not aware of any of our goalkeepers scoring when playing in goal, but two of our players who have played in goal have scored when not playing in goal - Gary Chivers and, some time ago, Jim Sutherland.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
But Shirley a punt up field goes against the grain of out tippy-tappy keep-ball style?

We don't do route one? or zero ...

I don't care. If Stockdale's effort yesterday had gone in, I'd have been dancing around like I'd just witnessed the classic Brazil 1970 goal.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I cannot remember it ever happening. When 1 sub was allowed we were very illness and injury stricken for 1 game and named the reserve keeper as our sub and the plan was if an outfield player was injured he was going to come on in goal and Brian Powney go out on the field.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
I seem to remember Kevin Bremner playing in goal for us once - was it when Digweed had his painful experience?

Bremner did take over from Digweed when he got that injury.

Didn't Gary Chivers start in goal for us once when the keeper was injured in the pre match warm up and we were allowed to change the team so we had a keeper on the bench and he came on after a few mins. Think that may have involved Beeney or Keeley and Digweed, possibly against Millwall?

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Didn't Gary Chivers start in goal for us once when the keeper was injured in the pre match warm up and we were allowed to change the team so we had a keeper on the bench and he came on after a few mins. Think that may have involved Beeney or Keeley and Digweed, possibly against Millwall?

I rather miss the days when outfield players used to go in goal after a red card or injury to the regular keeper. There was always a sense of great anticipation around the ground when you got some eager little midfielder pulling on a shirt three sizes too big for him (he'd always leave it untucked too, that was the rule).

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury

See 53 seconds in.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEDLAXdOIVM

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Could not believe this on MOTD last night. Absolutely SHOCKING bit of work from the linesman. Benteke receives the ball very, very obviously offside - there is only ONE Leicester player in that HALF ffs!

They did mention it.

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS

Erm they did comment on it?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Remember John Keeley scoring a great half volley in a friendly at Southwick although he was playing as an outfielder at the time!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here