Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Harveys is the Guv'nor

Dandyman

In London village.
The champion beers of Britain have just been announced at this year's GBBF and I am delighted to say that the Pride of Lewes has won best Best Bitter.

2006 Champion Beer of Britain

Gold Crouch Vale Brewers Gold
Silver Harveys Sussex Best Bitter
Bronze Triple FFF Moon Dance

Milds
Gold Mighty Oak's Oscar Wilde Mild
Silver Elgood's Black Dog
Bronze Grainstore Rutland Panther

Bitters
Gold Elgood's Cambridge Bitter
Silver Acorn Barnsley Bitter
Joint Bronze Sharp's Doombar Bitter & Woodforde's Wherry

Best Bitters
Gold Harveys Sussex Best Bitter
Silver Triple FFF Moon Dance
Joint Bronze Kelburn Red Smiddy & Surrey Hills Shere Drop

Strong Bitters
Gold York Centurions Ghost Ale
Silver Thornbridge Jaipur IPA
Bronze Weetwood Oasthouse Gold

Speciality Beers
Gold Cairngorm Trade Winds
Silver Wolf Straw Dog
Bronze William Brothers Fraoch Heather Ale

Golden Ales
Gold Crouch Vale Brewers Gold
Silver Hop Back Summer Lightning
Bronze Holden's Golden Glow

Guardian/CAMRA Bottle-conditioned Beers
Gold White Shield Brewery White Shield
Silver Greene King Hens Tooth
Bronze Titanic Stout

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
:clap2: Great stuff - it's the best bitter in the WORLD, bar none.:drink: :drink: :drink:

Didn't it win something last year as well?

Stinky Kat

Tripping
Oct 27, 2004
Catsfield
The Auditor said:
will be at the GBBF friday...will be some great beers...nice to see a local brew doing so well

You are an evil pisspot.

Dandyman

In London village.
Man of Harveys said:
:clap2: Great stuff - it's the best bitter in the WORLD, bar none.:drink: :drink: :drink:

Didn't it win something last year as well?

I think it won the same prize last year, which must be a compliment to the brewing team.

:clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Excuse my ignorance but can anyone explain the brewing difference between a Bitter and a Best bitter?

Dandyman

In London village.
Lokki 7 said:
:clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Excuse my ignorance but can anyone explain the brewing difference between a Bitter and a Best bitter?

According to those nice CAMRA people " Best is a stronger version of Bitter but there is considerable crossover. Bitter falls into the 3.4% to 3.9% band, with Best Bitter 4% upwards but a number of brewers label their ordinary Bitters ‘Best’. A further development of Bitter comes in the shape of Extra or Special Strong Bitters of 5% or more: familiar examples of this style include Fuller’s ESB and Greene King Abbot. With ordinary Bitter, look for a spicy, peppery and grassy hop character, a powerful bitterness, tangy fruit and juicy and nutty malt. With Best and Strong Bitters, malt and fruit character will tend to dominate but hop aroma and bitterness are still crucial to the style, often achieved by ‘late hopping’ in the brewery or adding hops to casks as they leave for pubs."

So, there you are.
:drink:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I was at the GBBF yesterday and actually stayed away from the Harveys (I already know how good that is).

Had some of that Triple F Moondance though - and very nice it was too.

Dandyman

In London village.
Gwylan said:
I was at the GBBF yesterday and actually stayed away from the Harveys (I already know how good that is).

Had some of that Triple F Moondance though - and very nice it was too.

Marvelous scenes (or are we not allowed to say that any more). I'm going tomorrow.

How does Earls Court compare to Olympia ?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Dandyman said:
Marvelous scenes (or are we not allowed to say that any more). I'm going tomorrow.

How does Earls Court compare to Olympia ?

I think I prefer Olympia; the place where you buy beers seems really cramped yet there's lot more space to walk around, it seems that they're not making the best use of the area. And there's still not enough seating, or more accurately, not enough tables, so it's hard to drink and eat at the same time.

I had some marvellous beers though.

One bit of advice: take cash with you, there's no cashpoint on the route from Earl's Court station to the venue and there's only one ATM inside - with a very long queue.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Did you put Perry in your mouth?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here