Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Harveys Brewery defies the market to increase turnover

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
Nothing to do with Duty, Harvey's may pay slightly more duty on their products than Long Man because they are a larger brewery (but still pretty small in the grand scheme of things) but not enough to account for a 50% price hike. Last time I looked at prices for various Sussex breweries Harvey's was the most expensive by a considerable margin. Harvey's Best is the most expensive 4.0% Best Bitter on the market, as far as I know. Many of it's direct competitors London Pride, Adnams Southwold; Young's Best and Doom Bar are considerably cheaper. Landlords cannot get away with just charging £5 a pint for Harvey's though.

As to Wetherspoons that is simple economies of scale. They will buy an entire months worth of production off those smaller breweries. Why is Wetherspoons cheaper than a standard pub? Why is Tesco cheaper than your local corner shop?

Can't talk about Wetherspoon but I do know that DrinkInBrighton used to stock Harvey's until they jacked the prices up to an unaffordable rate (thinking they were irreplaceable in Sussex). To combat it they set up the North Laine Brewery and did their own Best Bitter for considerably less cost whilst still charging similar.

btw theres a wine merchant in Hailsham that sells most the range, along with many other locals. £2.10 for Old, £2.40 for Armada, £2.60 for Tom Paine iirc. give Tescos is now £1.80-2 for ales, not too bad (avoiding the Tom Paine, priced to %abv). theres a bottle deposit as well, 10p?, which is overlooked (same applies to their Lewes shop).

Village Stores in Rotherfield also stock bottled Harveys if you are in that neck of the woods.

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
The Cork & Keg in Crowborough do the entire Harveys range of bottles and cans. Please support a fellow Seagull !!!

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
We are promoting 28 different Sussex Beers at Savannah base of Mid Sussex Seagulls including Harveys image.jpg
£3 a pint

smeariestbat

May 5, 2012
Harveys for years know they charge more for their products than others due to customer loyalty. Many local landlords would chuck it out given the chance but know it will p1ss off customers. Harveys have landlords over a barrel in that regard.

I see what you did there :thumbsup:

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
Yes Harveys are more exspesive I think they pay more tax than the small breweries and have larger overheads but they have surported the smaller breweries by sponsoring beer festivals in Sussex. However I love trying different beers but some guys are stuck in there ways.

The Cork & Keg in Crowborough do the entire Harveys range of bottles and cans. Please support a fellow Seagull !!!

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

..If only you could sell it from the barrel :( - then again probably better for my long term health that you don't!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Many local landlords would chuck it out given the chance but know it will p1ss off customers.
That sounds a bit dumb. If the customers like to buy it, why would then landlords want to stop selling it?

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
OK, I am in Sussex and just back from a Heathfield pub.
Because of this thread I thought I would ask the landlord.
He agreed, Harvey's charge him so much more than any other ale he has but he buys it because of the locals but would prefer to get rid if he could.
He can by a barrel of Harvey's cheaper from Molson-Coors than he can from Harvey's and that includes all the transport and mark up.
I had a quick taste and yes, it was like dishwater, stuck to London Pride, much nicer.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here