Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Harty's column tonight about Boxing Day

E Block Ernie

Jul 5, 2003
Jenny's Star Bar
For once Harty puts something sensible in his column about having the Boxing Day game kick off at Midday instead of 3pm.
In other years we have always kicked off early and as he says it makes it easier for those with families etc to be able to attend the game.

As it happens, I don't agree. Mid-day holiday matches work for local derbies. But not when there's a deal of travelling involved.

My idea of a good Boxing Day is a morning spent lazing around eating a hearty breakfast and recovering from the excesses of the previous day. Then a gradual stepping up of the pace as the arse gets into gear, just in time to get to a 3 o'clock kick-off. A decent match. Then home to cold turkey.

"Family life" with small children is, in my experience, quite difficult to reconcile with the the full-on Albion supporting experience that precedes it - or returns when they are old enough to be doing their own thing.

E Block Ernie

Jul 5, 2003
Jenny's Star Bar
Lord Bracknell said:
As it happens, I don't agree. Mid-day holiday matches work for local derbies. But not when there's a deal of travelling involved.

My idea of a good Boxing Day is a morning spent lazing around eating a hearty breakfast and recovering from the excesses of the previous day. Then a gradual stepping up of the pace as the arse gets into gear, just in time to get to a 3 o'clock kick-off. A decent match. Then home to cold turkey.

"Family life" with small children is, in my experience, quite difficult to reconcile with the the full-on Albion supporting experience that precedes it - or returns when they are old enough to be doing their own thing.

Who asked you :salute:

oapdodge

Jul 15, 2003
3pm suits me fine,keeps me away from the in laws even longer.
Late getting up,breakfast,beer,pub,footie,home,then in laws only for the evening.Wouldn't get away with all that if we kick off at 11
:drink: :drink: :drink: :drink:

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Living in Guildford-a 12:00 start is a right pain in the butt.

Stick to 3 o/c please MP. Think also of the people who trek up from places like Plimuff, Bridgend, Zomerzet, Barnsley and Brizzle to name a few-midday kick offs are a nightmare for them. Screw the police and what they want-the fans should come first.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
3pm for me.

Christmas day is family day. Boxing day is football day. Not to be confused. Ever.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
3pm. Gives me time to get up have breakfast and shift my hangover on to a train down to Brighton.

Remember that 12.00 kick-off against Southend on new year's day? What was that about? The entire crowd seemed to be half awake and half hungover.

alan partridge

Jul 7, 2003
Linton Travel Tavern
its a bit e-block ernie lite this thread

what happened to the good old days? can we expect a splinter 'the real' e-block ernie member soon?

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
No way - give me a mid day start. I need to get to Rustington to spend the afternoon with the family. I'm going to be very unpopular if its 3pm.

Besides, get the game out of the way early and then you have the rest of the 'family' day ahead of you.

Come on Martin - 12.00pm k/o

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Not really fussed what time bank holiday games are played. If it's 12 then I hope to be there, if it's 3 then I also hope to be there.

Gary Nelson

Jul 25, 2003
Hove
Lord Bracknell said:

Spot on.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here