[TV] Harry’s Heroes

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
I purchased the attached picture from you that night for £600. Another reason not to drink too much alcohol.

But can you put a price on the enjoyment it gives you each time you look at it?

I remember saying this to Mrs Hart in 2016 when I came back from the Hove Boxing Club show at the Metropole with not only a signed Pele shirt but a Gordon Banks one in the same frame.:smile: (£800 lighter than when I went out the door)

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Vinnie Jones has arrived!

He's got a cracking sense of humour. Two memories of him in his playing days - first, was scoring the winner for Leeds United at West Ham in 1989 with a back flick that he couldn't repeat if he tried 100 times. He and the Leeds supporters at the time (the season of that riot down at Bournemouth on the final day) scared the shit out of most of the West Ham team and a lot of their fans! Secondly, he tackled Eric Cantona with a dirty challenge in around 1994 for Wimbledon against Manchester United in the FA Cup. Cantona got up immediately and was ready to have a go at Vinnie Jones. Quickly he realised his reputation and thought "Oh F**k. It doesn't matter!"

Hammering the San Marino team as usual. :rolleyes:

Wasn't it Vinnie who wound up Cantona by folding his shirt collar down when marking him for a set piece?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Despite the football bits, I’m finding it quite sad. ITV rightly stopped the ‘Victorian freak show’ of the awful and inept X Factor auditions being aired due to mental health issues, it appears we’ve now moved on to Footballers down on their luck, or worse.
We’ve sadly seen Kenny Sansom’s dirty linen washed courtesy of Jeremy Kyle, clearly for money, and now we’ve got much of the same from a number of former household names on this show.
Clearly they are getting paid, but they’ve all got families who have to watch the wider public learning some very personal stuff.
Is this really entertainment?

I’d rather the UK’s richest Union the PFA did a bit more for these guys off air, or maybe they do, and in true NSC tradition I will be corrected 👍

Well it was Hendrie next to spill his guts on TV.......again, looked pretty genuine to me and I found it quite difficult to watch (same with Harry recalling that horrific accident that killed his pal, and almost him too). If Hendrie and Ruddock can get some help as a result of all this then it'll have been worthwhile. I'd rate the chances of that much higher with Hendrie than Ruddock though.

Nice tweet from Hendrie this morning. Good luck to him.

https://twitter.com/leehendrie77/status/1263028640259997696?s=20

Worthing exile

May 12, 2009
Well it was Hendrie next to spill his guts on TV.......again, looked pretty genuine to me and I found it quite difficult to watch (same with Harry recalling that horrific accident that killed his pal, and almost him too). If Hendrie and Ruddock can get some help as a result of all this then it'll have been worthwhile. I'd rate the chances of that much higher with Hendrie than Ruddock though.

I had forgotten he had played for us. Bad fan :(

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
If anyone is mystified how and why England under-achieved with The Golden Generation they just have to watch this show. We're just not very bright and are easily distracted.

However, it is compelling. Outwardly it's a light-hearted 'lads on tour' romp but peel back the veneer and it's really a study of the mental angst of a retired fotballer. The bravado masks a whole load of psychological shit.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
If anyone is mystified how and why England under-achieved with The Golden Generation they just have to watch this show. We're just not very bright and are easily distracted.

However, it is compelling. Outwardly it's a light-hearted 'lads on tour' romp but peel back the veneer and it's really a study of the mental angst of a retired fotballer. The bravado masks a whole load of psychological shit.

In fairness, its only Seaman and Owen who have featured from that "golden generation" in this show, and I don't think you could ever question their professionalism - that was not why the teams of 1998-2006 failed. More a lack of bottle, buckling under pressure, and stubborn managers just not harnessing or getting the best out of such a talented group of players.

I watched the England v Argentina game the other week from 2002, when we beat them 1-0, and we played some fantastic football in that game against a proper heavyweight of the tournament. Ashley Cole, Owen, Beckham, Scholes, Rio, Campbell, all in their prime. They should have gone on to achieve so much more.

The pisshead crew in this show couldn't hold a candle to the generation of footballers that followed them.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
In fairness, its only Seaman and Owen who have featured from that "golden generation" in this show, and I don't think you could ever question their professionalism - that was not why the teams of 1998-2006 failed. More a lack of bottle, buckling under pressure, and stubborn managers just not harnessing or getting the best out of such a talented group of players.

I watched the England v Argentina game the other week from 2002, when we beat them 1-0, and we played some fantastic football in that game against a proper heavyweight of the tournament. Ashley Cole, Owen, Beckham, Scholes, Rio, Campbell, all in their prime. They should have gone on to achieve so much more.

The pisshead crew in this show couldn't hold a candle to the generation of footballers that followed them.

I know most of the players are different but it's the culture of the clubs they all played for, e.g Cole and Campbell shared a dressing room with Parlour, Merson and Seaman, a young Michael Owen would have seen a Liverpool side with the likes of Ruddock, Wright and the Spice Boy generation.

Is it any coincidence that our younger England players have had success at Under 17 to 21 level at a time when the boozing and gambling culture has largely been removed from our top sides, and that an all-seeing social media will publicise any antics so nothing gets brushed under the carpet?

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
I remember Jones warming up before the game in front of the North Stand the afternoon Leeds came down and we scraped that corking 2-2 (classic Chappers own goal). Anyway, as he was warming up, some brave bloke behind me shouted out "Oi Jones, you ugly c**t". He looked up into the crowd and shouted back "yeah, but I'm f*cking rich and ugly".

Top bantz.

Missed that bit but oh the agony of Chapper's own goal. If I recall his feet got in a tangle but it might not have had the legs to go in but for the sand bobbled pitch. Was that also the game when Leeds keeper Mervyn's Day got his foot stuck in the goal netting just as the ref blew whistle to kick off?

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
I thought it ended pretty strongly last night. They did come across as a likeable bunch, especially Le Tiss, Wright and Merson, all decent blokes. The final match looked a bit dire (and they were the highlights) but you couldn't accuse them of not taking it seriously especially given the number of injuries.

robinsonsgrin

Mar 16, 2009
LA...wishing it was devon..
overall it was a welcome watch.... a break from the daily humdrum...scheduled to air for mental health awarness week, that was obviously a main thread throughout - highs and lows of all. i do love le tiss...remember seeing him in a bha shirt, i think it was fozzie's testmonial ( best moment was when jimmy case stood on reggie blinkers dreds and one came off.. he offered it back to him). dave seaman always comes across well. i wish the 'others' were given air time, micky gray, kev phillips etc.. if filmed in feb, were we social distancing then, wasnt there room on the coach for them all? the set up was weird, almost pretending no one else was playing... lovely memories of euro 96 came back to me... spent dutch match in a pub with other half and a dutch lorry driver.. then the germany semi, in a pub in arundel with my other half - joined at our table by a german couple who were staying there. jeez.. you couldnt make it up! least it is spring at jimmy's farm on tonight.... steve mcqueen, the escaping meerkat gives me great joy in a world of gloom.. kx

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
I'd find spending more than about 5 minutes with Ruddock absolutely exhausting

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Decent watch

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I imagine the German version will be a bit boring....a group of still lean and fit, but now middle-aged men, practice some football, go to a classy restaurant on one night and then win a game of football.

Jul 7, 2003
I imagine the German version will be a bit boring....a group of still lean and fit, but now middle-aged men, practice some football, go to a classy restaurant on one night and then lose a game of football.

Corrected for you

Jul 7, 2003
i wish the 'others' were given air time, micky gray, kev phillips etc.. if filmed in feb, were we social distancing then, wasnt there room on the coach for them all? the set up was weird, almost pretending no one else was playing...

I would assume that they chose who they focussed on to make good TV - in some shots you could see the second coach following behind. There were a few background players who were also involved last time around such as Steve Howey who definitely played last year as well as in the first game this time around.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex

Watching on catch-up so only saw that episode last night. I always thought Hendrie was a bit of a cock. Last night changed my mind.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
overall it was a welcome watch.... a break from the daily humdrum...scheduled to air for mental health awarness week, that was obviously a main thread throughout - highs and lows of all. i do love le tiss...remember seeing him in a bha shirt, i think it was fozzie's testmonial ( best moment was when jimmy case stood on reggie blinkers dreds and one came off.. he offered it back to him). dave seaman always comes across well. i wish the 'others' were given air time, micky gray, kev phillips etc.. if filmed in feb, were we social distancing then, wasnt there room on the coach for them all? the set up was weird, almost pretending no one else was playing... lovely memories of euro 96 came back to me... spent dutch match in a pub with other half and a dutch lorry driver.. then the germany semi, in a pub in arundel with my other half - joined at our table by a german couple who were staying there. jeez.. you couldnt make it up! least it is spring at jimmy's farm on tonight.... steve mcqueen, the escaping meerkat gives me great joy in a world of gloom.. kx

I thought Le Tiss played in Jimmy's testimonial against Liverpool? The night that Robbie Fowler 'scored' away from home at The Grand Hotel, allegedly.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports