Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Harrys English Restaurant - Hove

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Now's not the time mate. Sorry.

Only commenting on the general situation mate, i've worked in the industry 15 years, so i can sympathise with peoples plite.

No offence intended like.

I'll shut up now!

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
we were in there saturday and friends were in there sunday too. Greedy brekfast and smoked salmon and scramble, superb. Cant believe its gone, How shit!!

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
we were in there saturday and friends were in there sunday too. Greedy brekfast and smoked salmon and scramble, superb. Cant believe its gone, How shit!!

Likewise. I cannot believe it. So sudden as well. I used to go there 2 or 3 times a month for breakfast, for 10 years.

Nothing else in Hove came close to their breakfast menu. Which begs the question, where do I go now?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Only commenting on the general situation mate, i've worked in the industry 15 years, so i can sympathise with peoples plite.

No offence intended like.

I'll shut up now!

Likewise mate. Apologies. I was a bit sensitive last night.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
sad to hear
Shared a table there a dozen years ago with Wardy, Chris Cattlin & their wives with old friend John 'Albion' Stephenson (RIP) & a couple others. Wonderful evening with lots of old stories & memories of the great times at the club during their era.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Maroccos breakfast is pretty good.

The times are not great. I turned up there once around 10am and they told me lunch, inc full English breakfast, was not served until 11am. Has this changed?

Stoichkov

The Miserable Bulgarian
Jul 26, 2004
Brighton
Maybe the owners decided they'd had enough and rather than sell the business, wanted to simply draw a line under Harry's

A crap analogy but a bit like a sportsman wanting to retire at the top (or near it) of their game so that there reputation doesn't get tarnished by their dwindeling latter years

A great shame its gone - a proper part of Brighton & Hove's food landscape.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
One thing you notice in cz is the many cheap, reasonable, restaurants that abound...usually with a couple of standard dishes daily....ie gulas or pork or duck and just hearty home style cooking ... that are so reasonable even Czech people use them, and they are not noted for lashing out much... never seems to happen in UK..... the restaurants in uk have to be either 'cool' or 'themed'... I know some cafes do meals, but ive never come away from a cafe thinking, wow, I really enjoyed that.. plus theres not that many of them these days...

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
Had my son's headwetting brunch at Harrys back in 2003. The pub crawl that followed was messy.

They used to do decent Kedgeree (sp).

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
The times are not great. I turned up there once around 10am and they told me lunch, inc full English breakfast, was not served until 11am. Has this changed?

That sounds bizarre. What would they do before 11? But I've never had a problem getting served for breakfast. I also had a pretty good breakfast at the sandwich bar just up the road close to the Seafield. Service was pretty slow but the food was good, especially the mushrooms.

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
Just found this thread. We've been in Harry's a couple of times since Christmas after 10 years away in Greece. Always liked Harry's if you fancied something English, rather than pasta, Indian or Chinese, etc. We were looking forward to making it one of our regular places again, so we're very disappointed and sad it's gone. Their web site is still up. Passed it on Saturday on the way to the match and the lease is up for sale, but not the business, it would appear. Shame.

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
Thats crap! one of my favourite places, service was always ropey but the 'Greedy Breakfast' was lovely. When you lose places with such character it just encourages mid-market mediocrity. Hopefully 'Harry' just decided to call it a day and is planning for an enjoyable retirement and wasn't forced into it. Thanks for all the calories

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
If it's just a full English breakfast you're after I had a good one at Grints in Cranbourne St. but I really don't want you lot packing the place out, they only have 4 tables inside...........

Shinbreath

Nov 1, 2008
Hove...
I used to frequent this place for the fantastic brekkies. Gutted it's shut now but I've now discovered the eggs benedict from Plateau opposite Brighton town hall.
Totally blew me away

If you thought Harrys was good. Plateau leaves Harry"s for dust I'm afraid to say.

Portions may not be as big as Harry's but I top up with an extra sausage. The food quality is bordering on fine dining with a nice relaxed atmosphere.

I defy anyone to not like the eggs benedict from Plateau !!!!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I used to frequent this place for the fantastic brekkies. Gutted it's shut now but I've now discovered the eggs benedict from Plateau opposite Brighton town hall.
Totally blew me away

If you thought Harrys was good. Plateau leaves Harry"s for dust I'm afraid to say.

Portions may not be as big as Harry's but I top up with an extra sausage. The food quality is bordering on fine dining with a nice relaxed atmosphere.

I defy anyone to not like the eggs benedict from Plateau !!!!

Thanks for the tip. It's a long way for me to go when I need a breakfast though.

I'm really struggling for a decent breakfast within walking distance of central Hove at the moment. If anyone can offer help please do.

Shinbreath

Nov 1, 2008
Hove...
Thanks for the tip. It's a long way for me to go when I need a breakfast though.

I'm really struggling for a decent breakfast within walking distance of central Hove at the moment. If anyone can offer help please do.

Ahhh. I understand your plight now. If you are based in central Hove it's gonna be a toughie to find somewhere on par with Harry's within walking distance.

How about Woodies diner along from Hove lagoon ? (Not quite central Hove but free parking !!) I must admit, I've only ever had burgers there but the brekkies do look good. I had a stack of pancakes with syrup and bacon which was nice.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here