Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Harper and Reyes, better than Ankergren and Calderon......

Biancazzurro

Aug 9, 2011
Hassocks
I thought Reyes was good in defence but lacked slightly in attack, he will improve as he settles into the team though. I'd play Calderon as his attacking threat is important and he links up well with the wingers. Although Painter had a better game he doesn't offer enough going forwards or in defence so I'd partner Reyes and Calderon. Harper was quality and so much easier to watch than Casper - I get nervous whenever Ankergren gets the ball!

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Seemed to take us 20-30 mins to realise Reyes was there to be passed to. He was in great positions so often early in the game, and wasn't getting passed to. I thought he looked really good in the first half, still pretty good in the second.

mreprice

Sep 12, 2010
Sydney, Australia
If Ankergren had conceded the West Ham goal he would have been ridiculed. Harper did not follow the basics. He was not even properly positioned when Nolan shot. The shot itself was nothing special and Harper showed weak hands and pawed the ball into the net. Sure he looks more confident, he has a degree and is a qualified referee but whether he is able to perform is another matter. I guess this is why he is only on a month's loan. We need to see what he is able to contribute.

Positioning was a disgrace. Really, really bad.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
Harper was out of position for the goal. It other than that I had way more confidence in him every time the ball went near him that I would do Casper. He's commanding and he can catch a ball.

Reyes to me look brilliant. Committed and skillful. To be honest I think he's very similar to Calderon. Why not try Reyes in Centre midfield in a defensive role next to Bridcutt. Calderon hadn't been playing that bad has he?

I thought Reyes looked superb, and commented at half time that I would bring Calde on and push Reyes into midfield for Dicker or Sparrow.
He seemed so confident on the ball and seemed out of position playing at right back, he oused class imho.

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
thought harpers effort with the goal was poor - reyes looked good - thought he could play left back so was surprised painter wasnt dropped - gus calderon fall out?

Richard Reynold's Haircut

grammatically poor
Oct 3, 2011
Peacehaven
Agreed. Tonight was the final nail in the coffin for anybody who thinks Ankergren is good enough. He's not, he makes me feel like something is going to go wrong every time he touches it. Harper, on the other hand, was totally in control of every single thing he did from the first minute. A real class act, and exactly the type of keeper we need.

and totally out of position for their goal

ForeverAGull

Jul 14, 2010
East Sussex
better than Kasper and PAINTER yes
THIS!!!
i think it would be brilliant if we had reyes at left back and calde back on at the right!
but i think we need to start with 2 wingers! we was 10x better when Willy B came on and not every ball was either going to noon or on its way to him! also barns needs to be doped again! hoskins has a much bigger impact on every game he plays in!

The replay from behind Nolan showed this. It was a rare, shocking mistake from LB and Harper was out of position.

If anything - and although I'd agree it was a poor mistake from LB - the pass from Dunk was also asking for trouble.
This passing game in the defense only requires one slip, one bad bounce, or one moment of indecision, and it's an open goal for any hopeful opportunist striker.
That's just what they are there waiting for.

Craig4004

Aug 30, 2011
Peacehaven
IMO Reyes should replace painter if Gus is gonna keep him in defence, but would be good to see him getting forward cos he's quick. If Gus plays him in with Bridcutt, replace Painter with Vincelot. Painter has no pace now and takes too much time picking out a pass, and giving it away.

Max Paper

Sunshiinnnnneeee
Nov 3, 2009
Testicles
I thought Reyes was quality! Perhaps didn't get forward quite enough but his touch and his flair were awesome. I felt 1000% more comfortable with Harper in goal, when he goes for a cross I actually feel he is going to catch it rather than not, which is sadly the case with Ankergren now... One other thing, now I like to have a few beers at the football so I might be missing something, but Liam Bridcutt is a f***ing brilliant player! He's all over the pitch, every game. How anyone can say he's not up to it is beyond me!

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
If Ankergren had conceded the West Ham goal he would have been ridiculed. Harper did not follow the basics. He was not even properly positioned when Nolan shot. The shot itself was nothing special and Harper showed weak hands and pawed the ball into the net. Sure he looks more confident, he has a degree and is a qualified referee but whether he is able to perform is another matter. I guess this is why he is only on a month's loan. We need to see what he is able to contribute.

Yes Ankergren would have been criticised for that goal, as is Harper. He was badly positioned but can't agree at all about weak hands. It was a very good shot that was moving away from him. He did well to get something on it but he started from a poor position - a foot to his right and it would have been a save. So criticism justified but not as much as you make out.

I thought everything else he did was good and did give more confidence that Ankergren has of late.

Randsta

Aug 8, 2011
Eastbourne
I'd like to see Reyes in Midfield; although only from WBA you can see the premiership class or the very least championship! he touch and vision was great and was good to see him get stuck in to the tackle :) Steve Harper looked very assured and you could tell the defense was a lot more comfortable with him in goal, may be that's what caused the goal - they were a bit too comfortable and slipped up!

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
I thought both players had good debut's, Yes Harper was a bit out of position for the goal but it was Bridcutt's fault for losing possession and Nolan took the shot on too quick for Harper to reposition. Other than that Harper dominated his area well and did'nt flap at anything, As for Reyes I dont recall anything getting by him all game and some of his tackling and passing was top draw. Would like to see Reyes in midfield alongside Bridcutt though as it would give us a bit more strength in there which is something we've been lacking all season.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

I think Harper is getting stick - justifiable as well for the goal. However, Casper has been badly positioned in a number of games this season, costing us goals (Leeds, Liverpool, Ipswich, Palace). Weak hands? See Casper versus Palace and Millwall.

Given that Harper actually commanded his box, I think its a nett gain!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here