Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] ‘Happy with the squad’.. are we now paying the price for not signing a Striker in the wind

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012
My point about Palace is that theirs is not a sustainable model, meaning that if they go down (and the fact I think they will at some point is irrelevant - maybe they will emulate Arsenal and never drop out of the top flight again, albeit I somehow doubt it) it will hit them very hard.

Where did I predict they will go down soon? I am certainly not 'clutching at straws' about Palace going down soon (couldn't care less about them actually), I was using them as an exemplar of how to do things a different way to Bloom's Albion. In my view theirs is a bad way, and I prefer the way Bloom operates to the way Disney operates. I'm sure our resident football finance expert would agree.

Edit calling [MENTION=31]El Presidente[/MENTION]

An interesting view of sustainability I must say.
Brighton have the 6th largest net spend in EUROPE since 2017/18, just behind PSG,Barcelona,AC Milan, and the Manchester clubs.
Brighton fans bang on about our massive bill ( £108 mill on last accounts) but yours has now reached £100 mill, so that can be put to bed.
CPFC have no debt, and have taken a concious effort in the last few windows to not spend big amounts.
If Brighton do fall through the trap door, will Bloom still keep throwing 100’s of millions at it, or will he say enough is enough?
Time will tell.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
Because after the last few games, this is my overriding feeling.

I’m genuinely concerned some at the club were a bit arrogant in assuming we’d stay up this season.

90% of us watching and certainly here on NSC were crying out for the club to sign a striker — yet all we repeatedly heard was how happy GP was with the squad.

Well I think the chances spurned and our overall lack of goals in 2020 tells its own story.
I haven't read all this thread, it may have already been said, but I believe Connolly is responsible for our precarious position.... if he hadn't scored those two goals in October, we would have been busting a gut in January to sign a striker.... so blame the genial diminutive chappy if you have to blame someone.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
An interesting view of sustainability I must say.
Brighton have the 6th largest net spend in EUROPE since 2017/18, just behind PSG,Barcelona,AC Milan, and the Manchester clubs.
Brighton fans bang on about our massive bill ( £108 mill on last accounts) but yours has now reached £100 mill, so that can be put to bed.
CPFC have no debt, and have taken a concious effort in the last few windows to not spend big amounts.
If Brighton do fall through the trap door, will Bloom still keep throwing 100’s of millions at it, or will he say enough is enough?
Time will tell.

069ac94b483e55038d8f1c4d2f08336a.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I haven't read all this thread, it may have already been said, but I believe Connolly is responsible for our precarious position.... if he hadn't scored those two goals in October, we would have been busting a gut in January to sign a striker.... so blame the genial diminutive chappy if you have to blame someone.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Blame Murray if anyone he’s stopped us progressing and doing the same again. Locadia must be the only record striker signing not to play, when he arrived he was cocky lean and looked just what we needed. Locadia scored some important goals last season Everton & Arsenal at home well we don’t have that option anymore.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
We're the new Middlesbrough

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
You could argue that a Wan Bissaka every now and again does make it a sustainable model. They sold Bissaka for £49m and only spent £7m in the summer. Season before they just spent £10m on Kouyate (good signing imho). Season before that 17/18 they spent -£41m. 16/17 -£46m, 15/16 -£21m, 14/15 -£25m, 13/14 -£1£30m, 12/13 +£13m.

Over 8 seasons their net spend on players is £118m. How is ours a sustainable model of a £190m outlay over 3 srasons and at severe risk of dropping out the league again more sustainable than an 8 year £118m outlay, and relative safety each season?

I know we're rivals but you know, what do you need El Pres for?

I think you're right. The mistake that a lot of clubs make (and that Palace have NOT made) is lashing out millions and paying huge wages for marquee signings; players whose best days, for one reason or another (age or injury) are long behind them. Remember Newcastle buying Michael Owen? Yes they've bought some duds but overall their strategy has patently worked. And their top players still have good resale value (more than ours I'd warrant), so if they go down they can sell them and use the proceeds to adjust to life in the Championship.

I'm not saying it's the right strategy for us, but there is method in their madness.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Is Welbeck really the best we could have done?

A guy who just went down with Watford, and hasn’t scored many in his career?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here