Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Happy St George's Day

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I didn't even know about EU day.

It is growing in popularity and I like to think I do my little bit to help awareness. I find it's a much preferable day to St George's....no one seems to squabble and the sun tends to shine.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I agree I have little in common with those on such low wages. The point I was making was that I have more in common with telecoms workers and the like around the world than I do with the toff over the road.

But comparatively speaking your wages are much, much higher than even the average telecoms worker worldwide. And what else do you have in common with David Cameron? A shared language, birthplace, national identity, culture, the same freedoms enshrined in law. I hate to be the bringer of bad news but even taking economics out of the equation you've still got far more in common with Cameron than even the average foreign telecom worker - let alone what could be described as a typical global prole.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Mythology says (or the Metro at least) that he survived being boiled in molten lead, swallowing poison, and being crushed between 2 spiked wheels.

Apparently it was either that, or join UKIP....

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Perhaps happypig and Badfish can consol each other with a pint and two straws whilst listening to Morrisey.

With your insightful and amusing repartee perhaps you could join us on our imaginary virtual night out as dreamed up by Bushy and yourself. You would have to bring your own straw though.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Happy St Georges Day although I believe that St Edmund is our true patron saint. None the less England's national day. As for EU day....no thanks. Abbott Ale tonight as I raise a glass to this green and pleasant land.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Mythology says (or the Metro at least) that he survived being boiled in molten lead, swallowing poison, and being crushed between 2 spiked wheels.

He sounds more like a saint you'd see in 'Tom and Jerry'. What got him in the end - not the old "step in a mousetrap, iron in the face" routine?

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Apparently it was either that, or join UKIP....

Being an immigrant, I can see why he chose the former.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
He sounds more like a saint you'd see in 'Tom and Jerry'. What got him in the end - not the old "step in a mousetrap, iron in the face" routine?

Wile E Coyote got him with an Acme anvil to the head.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

George, a military leader under Dacian, "king of the Persians," inaugurates his seven years of torture by boldly coming forward to confess his belief in Christ, as Dacian is preparing to persecute Christians in the area. At Dacian's order, George is stretched out on the rack and ripped to shreds with flesh hooks, harnessed to machines that draw him apart, and then beaten, after which salt is poured into his wounds, which are rubbed with a haircloth. He is then pressed into a box pierced with nails, impaled on sharp stakes, plunged into boiling water, and has his head crushed by a hammer. All to no avail.

God comforts George in prison and informs him that he will die three deaths before entering Paradise. Dacian, confounded, summons the magician Athanasius who shows his mettle by splitting an ox in half and having each half return to life whole. Undaunted, George gulps down two portions of the magician's poison, at which point the magician confesses Christ and is summarily executed by the Persian ruler and George is returned to prison. The next day he is lacerated on a wheel of swords, cut into ten pieces, and thrown into a well that is sealed with a stone. God appears with the archangel Michael to resurrect the saint, at which point the officer in charge, Anatholius, is converted with nearly 1,100 soldiers and one woman, all of whom are immediately executed.

Dacian then redoubles his efforts: George is tied to an iron bed, molten lead is poured into his mouth and eyes after which sixty nails are driven into his skull, he is hung upside down over a fire with a stone tied around his neck, and he is shut into the revolving belly of a metal ox which is filled with swords and nails. Yet again at the end of the day the saint goes back to prison. To die his second death, George is sawed in two, boiled to bits, and just before he is buried, God, good to his word, resuscitates him after five days.

In addition to his own resilience, George's miracles include changing thrones into trees, reviving oxen, healing a sick boy, and resurrecting and baptizing men, women, and children who have been dead for centuries.

Despite fastening a glowing iron helmet to the prisoner's head, tearing and burning his body some more, and executing George a third time, Dacian fails to move the saint to sacrifice to Apollo and tries verbal persuasion instead. When George appears to consent, the delighted king invites him to the palace for the night during which the saint surreptitiously converts Dacian's wife Alexandra, who is later executed as a result. George in the meantime goes to the temple of Apollo, whose statue promptly leaves the temple and confesses his fraudulence. The saint stamps his foot, and the ground swallows up the false god. Exasperated, Dacian pronounces George's death sentence yet again. Before his [3rd] execution, though, George prays and intercedes for those who remember his name and feast day. Having survived seven years of torture and three deaths, he is finally decapitated and gratefully ascends to Heaven.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Now he sounds more like David Blaine.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
I always feel making a fuss about patron saints is the sort of thing nations insecure about their national status go in for.

with that reasoning and the casual feeling about St Georges day in this country i would say England as a nation is strong and Ireland is a basket case.

happy St Georges day:)

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
I've got some bad news for you, matey. Economically, you've got more in common with David Cameron than you have with the working classes around the world - and that's a fact.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Well despite all the deep and meaningful debate about St George's history, I for one shall celebrate as it's mine & Shakespeare's birthday:O:cheers:

***Pedant alert***

Shakespeare's birth date is unknown. He was baptised on 26th April for sure, but no-one is sure when he was born. However, given the synchronicity of him dying on 23 April and today being St George's Day, people just decided that he was born on 23 April.

Oh - Happy Birthday!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here