Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
Until Hughton, the most successful Brighton manager bar Mullery. Without even a shoestring budget. There wasn’t a shoe. More a leaky welly someone fished out a pond. His skill at spotting overseas talents was remarkable. 1990/91 still my favourite season of all time until 2016/17.

YES!!!!!!

pure_white

Dec 8, 2021
He was like marmite. Anyone else recall the Goldstone left v right side (north stand) charging of Barry Lloyd fans versus the "Barry Who" fans. Did well coming from Worthing. Never happen these days certainly not in PL.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
73 years young.

Saw him in the week in Broadwater and he’s still looking good and firing on all cylinders.

Mine and Barry’s eventual friendship was a real life lesson for me, sometimes we only find out the full story of what went on years later. Case in point Dean Saunders, he got £60,000 when the board were prepared to let him walk away from the club for free.

As effectively CEO he kept the Albion afloat, even prepared to go into administration even though he’d have probably lost his job, and was one of the first people to cotton on what Archer was up to, but effectively had his hands tied with an NDA after his departure in Dec 1993.

Quite a divisive character - maybe stayed too long? My opinion of him was really swayed by reading Garry Nelson's book - he didn't treat him well at all.

Invicta

NSC Patron
Nov 1, 2013
Kent
He presented me with Crowborough League u14 League winners trophy, imagine he still remembers it well too!. Happy Birthday Barry.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Quite a divisive character - maybe stayed too long? My opinion of him was really swayed by reading Garry Nelson's book - he didn't treat him well at all.

He signed him?

kevo

Mar 8, 2008

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010

There are a certain things in all of our lives that in hindsight we would do differently, Baz is no exception.

Ironically whilst as fans we all loved the 90/91 season, it played out for Barry with him knowing whatever happened the club was in the crap.

One season in the top flight would have been purely cosmetic, the finances were dire, Barry was going have to sell players that summer regardless of the result at Wembley.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Really fond memories of those years, especially the play-off season. You went to the Goldstone not really knowing what you were going to get but I remember it being a cracking atmosphere and all a bit of a laugh somehow. Maybe we (I) take the games too seriously these days.

Glad to hear BL is doing well, I would like to think he's not been cut off completely by the club after years of good service.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports