Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Happy 75th birthday Barry Lloyd

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Despite being one of his detractors in my fanzine days, Barry and his Albion journey is hugely underestimated in the club's 123 year history, and I only truly appreciated this when I really got to know him.

Happy birthday Baz :thumbsup:

(Do we have any of the 34 people on here who bought his 'Visionary Dethroned' t shirt back in 1993?)

The other 166 went to Eastern Europe care of Link Romania.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
I think he had the club at heart and it wasn’t his fault Bellotti was his boss. He got us to the playoffs with both hands tied behind his back. Once the final was lost then he was on a hiding to nothing. He recognised that the community programme was important and my dealings with him re the junior seagulls supporters club football teams were helpful .
Happy birthday Baz.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Seemed a decent fella. Gave us one golden season. His tenure ran it's course.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I think the pressure got to him in the end, let's face it it wasn't an easy time to manage the Albion.

I met him a few times whilst l was on the committee at Horsham back in the day and he was in charge at Worhing, the pressure and the spotlight was off him then, and he seemed a really pleasant guy, and happy to talk about all things football.

Bish Bosh

Aug 10, 2005
Wish it was in the EU
Despite being one of his detractors in my fanzine days, Barry and his Albion journey is hugely underestimated in the club's 123 year history, and I only truly appreciated this when I really got to know him.

(Do we have any of the 34 people on here who bought his 'Visionary Dethroned' t shirt back in 1993?)

Only 34 - blimey! I cannot tell a lie...I was one of them

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Seemed a decent fella. Gave us one golden season. His tenure ran it's course.
All I remember was Lloyd out, Lloyd out, Lloyd out back in the early 90s. Did his best in difficult circumstances.....

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Nice chap, pulled a good pint down at Woodside...Happy Birthday Baz !

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea

You might recall my early submissions to GE under the psedonym Barry Mustgoe.
Subsequent events caused me to celebrate by using deed poll to alter my moinker to "Hazgon".
Once he returned, I changed it for the last time.

Happy Birthday Bazza

Poskettspurpose

Jun 18, 2021
I remember on the way to Millwall (Old Den) in the play off semi final leg 2 the team coach stopped with the fan coaches somewhere in London. We walked up to the coach singing and clapping and BL stuck his fingers up at us. I still have a soft spot for him though due to almost getting us promoted to the top flight with a great team (Micky Small, John Burn, Clive Walker etc) built on a literal shoestring budget..

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
My first season ticket at the Goldstone was in the early Barry Lloyd era, so it will always be special to me in that way, in particular the play-off semi was amazing, of course. Must have been a real challenge to be manager back then, or more to the point, it would have been hard to attract anyone else better.

Happy Birthday Lloydy!

Van Cleef

Jun 17, 2023
He managed to rustle up some bloody good signings, somehow, amongst all the frees and cast offs from the bargain bin.

(Dont remember the BL t shirt, but I did have a Lean Mean Tackling Machine one. They weren't the best quality TBH. Is it too late for a refund?).

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
My first ever match was Barry’s first ever win.
Bazza did a good job in very difficult times. Happy birthday!

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, and sadly a lot of us rejoiced when he left by ‘mutual consent’ just a few weeks after Bellotti arrived in the autumn of 1993.

How blind we were…

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here