"H'angus the Monkey" re-elected

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Not sure if you will have seen this amongst all the other political news, but the bloke who got elected whilst mascot for Hartlepool has just been re-elected for a 3rd term!

Hartlepool Mayor wins third term

Stuart Drummond said he had "the best job in the world"
Hartlepool has returned Stuart Drummond as elected mayor, making him the first in Britain to win a third term.

The independent candidate, who originally stood as a joke as Hartlepool FC mascot, H'angus the Monkey, won by 844 votes.

He beat off 12 rivals, many of them also independents, including a former athlete and a businessman, as well as members of the main political parties.

Turnout was 31.24% with 21,487 people casting their votes.

Mr Drummond, 35, won on the second count against his nearest rival Ian Cameron, the boss of a local taxi firm and an independent candidate.

'Sitting duck'

After being elected, Mr Drummond thanked the people of Hartlepool, but warned there would be big challenges ahead in the next four years.

He said: "The first time I was elected in 2002 a lot of people said it was a fluke; some people said it was a stroke of genius.

"It was a huge achievement to be returned in 2005 with a big majority. I was very, very proud of that.

"But I think to be returned for a third time - especially in these times when anybody who is holding a position in a political office is a sitting duck - I think getting returned tonight tops those two times put together."

He added: "Being the mayor is a massive, massive honour. It is not a job I take lightly.

"It is certainly not a job I am complacent about. It is the best job in the world."

stupid stupid northerners
What's REALLY interesting about this election is the performance of the three main parties. Labour came THIRD, the Tories only managed to come SEVENTH, and the Lib Dems came ELEVENTH.

First Preference votes:-

Stuart DRUMMOND - (Independent) - 5268
Ian CAMERON - (Independent) - 4280
Chris SIMMONS - (Labour) - 2921
Martyn AIKEN - (UKIP) - 1844
Tony MORRELL - (Independent) - 1457
Cheryl DUNN - (British National Party Protecting British Jobs) - 1352
David YOUNG - (Conservative) - 1092
Jim GILLESPIE - (Independent) - 986
Iris Ryder - (Independent - 594
Alison WILLETTS - (Independent) - 564
Lynne GILLAM - (Liberal Democrat) - 464
Barbara JACKSON - (Independent) - 461
Christine BLAKEY - (Independent) - 204

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
BNP got more votes than the Conservatives :ohmy:

I think that the glut of independent candidates probably split the vote of the main parties. People who wanted to "protest" vote against the big 3 just spread the votes about indies knowing that the chance of them winning was minimal, but still showing their displeasure. This left the door open for the winner, who must obviously be doing something right to get a third term. The first one was probably a bit of a joke that got out of hand, but I think the fact that he has now been re-elected twice would indicate that whatever it is he is doing, is popular.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
stupid stupid northerners

Thats what I thought at first, however it seems that this guy has managed to turn round large areas of the area, when many others have failed.

Perhaps Gully should stand for office!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports