Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Handcuffed to the goal posts

Cuffs

Jan 29, 2010
A lot older and a little wiser I lay in bed reading all your amusing comments. This all seems a world away from that fatefull day against hull when my close friends and I set about handcuffing ourselves to the goal posts. Only I eluded the police and managed to lock the clasp. These were the best of times and the worst of times... Did I mention we were very drunk.

Statto

Nov 11, 2005
Graceland Memphis
I remember that game. I was there. Didn't we win 3-0? wasnt it Gritts first game in charge aswell? I remember the handcuffers getting a round of applause when the protest ended.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Well done, them's were crazy days but had to be done.

if it was the Hull game then that was also the "whistle" protest. A totally deaffening 90 mins when just about everybody had a ref's whistle and blew throughout the game.

Cuffs

Jan 29, 2010
i spent the afternoon in a police cell so not sure of the result. i have a copy of the photo, i keep it hidden from my family. indeed it was grits first home game.

Seagull Stew

I remember that game was the first whistle protest. There was little over 3,000 there but it sounded like 30,000!
Weren't Hull also protesting about their chairman at the time too?

D'Angelo Saxon

SW19ULLS
Jul 30, 2004
SW19
Wow. I remember that day. Don't think its one that'll be forgotten in any hurry.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I remember it well. So well in fact, Cuffs, that I reckon I'd recognise you if I saw you walking down the street.

And I also think I even remember your name.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I'd arrived back from Australia that morning, having been away for 3 months or so for work, and the Albion had not won at home since the very day I flew away in early September.

Also, my soon to be father in law had been at the Goldstone early that morning with a tin of spray paint, putting 'Fish Out' by the away end for the Hull fans who also had 'board problems' at the time as well as the infamously mis-spelt "Gritt beleives Belotti Bullshit" outside the West Stand. He might have superglued all the locks that morning too - I can't recall now.

It was also the day I met our very own 'Insider' for the first time, at the post-match protest.

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
It was also the day I met our very own 'Insider' for the first time, at the post-match protest.

My first encounter was a somewhat less than sedate affair down at Swindon away when a p**sed mate of his, who I later went on to work with, took a swing at my dad for not standing up during the "stand up if you hate Palace" chant.

Think my dad simultaneously drew attention to him and insider for the attempted punch, the stewards got busy and tried to throw them both out, only for my old man to talk the police into letting them back in. A truly bizarre sequence of events for me as an 11 year old.

moshe's foreskin

Jan 22, 2010
A lot older and a little wiser I lay in bed reading all your amusing comments. This all seems a world away from that fatefull day against hull when my close friends and I set about handcuffing ourselves to the goal posts. Only I eluded the police and managed to lock the clasp. These were the best of times and the worst of times... Did I mention we were very drunk.
Dear Badger,
I remember match before that i think you tried to invade the pitch 5 minutes before the the final whistle tripped up headbutted the hallowed turf.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
i spent the afternoon in a police cell so not sure of the result. i have a copy of the photo, i keep it hidden from my family. indeed it was grits first home game.

unsung hero of the cause....

great memories.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
It was an amazing time. As you said, the best of times, the worst of times. The whistle protest was just superb, I loved that one.

Seagulls over Lewes

Jul 5, 2003
Rodmell
I was in the away end that day due to being banned from ground. Met some Hull fans in the Sussex Yeoman and they invited me in with them. Weird experiance watching the team you support in the away end at a home game and when the third went in I think the Hull supporters knew I was Brighton but did not mind. If I remember correctly they were protesting about there chairman at the time as well.

Cuffs

Jan 29, 2010
I also enjoyed the one when we all clambered over the turnstile/toilet/wall to reach the east terrace mid way through the 1st half. I remember scaling the roof of the toilets and then pulling willing acomplices up only for one of them to fall through the roof straight into the toilet.

I sit at work with teenage football fans who dont know they are born!

gaz99

Feb 27, 2009
cuffs did you move down to bristol or down that way for work or have i got the wrong person

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here