Hanbury Ball Rooms to close

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
its a bit grotty these days, but agreat venue. I have been to some wick'erd 'stick it on' there. Shame as another live music venue shuts down..

A popular music venue famed for its live gigs is to close.

The Grade II-listed Hanbury Ballroom in St George's Road, Brighton, will reopen in October as a private members' club after a five-week £100,000 refurbishment by new owners Amanda Blanch and Chris Edwards, of boutique hotel Blanch House.

Gig-goers and music promoters are devastated that the domed building, which hosts everything from jazz bands to country folk groups, will no longer be hosting weekly live gigs.

All post-August gigs have been cancelled although Ms Blanch said some artists may be invited to perform at monthly live events or could apply for membership.

Promoter Dave Morrison, 45, who runs Gilded Palace Of Sin and Be A Ham with business partner Shaun Whitehouse, said the venue was irreplaceable.

He said: "We have staged 80 per cent of our shows in there in the last five years - it is literally our second home.

"It is such an important place to us and we are devastated. We will be losing a community venue.

"I have no doubt they plan to make the place really pretty but that in itself would put me off going.

"The no-frills style is part of its magic."

Described as the jewel in Kemp Town's crown by current owners Zelgrain, the venue's most famous event is Stick It On, where clubbers have the chance to take control of the decks and play their choice of tunes for 15 minutes.

But bosses were forced to close the club because they say it was not making enough money.

Rob Hall, 35, the venue's manager, said all guaranteed bookings would be honoured and efforts would be made to reschedule others in Zelgrain pubs.

He said: "As a venue it is incredibly hard to break even, let alone stop it losing money. It is a very sad thing but in a way it is a positive thing because someone is going to spend the money on it which it desperately needs."

Ms Blanch and her husband Mr Edwards, former bar manager of London's Groucho Club, hope to complete the sale by mid-August.

The iconic building will be renamed the Hanbury Club and will be aimed at Brighton and Hove's creative community with the first of 1,500 to 2,000 members picked by a founding committee of ten celebrities and well-known locals.

Yearly membership is expected to cost about £250 but local artists, authors and musicians will pay £100.

Ms Blanch, 40, said: "The last thing I wanted to do was close another music venue.

"If I could buy it and keep it running like that I would but you have to be practical and realistic. It had been on the market for quite some time when we bought it."

Cabaret shows, film screenings, book club meetings and poker nights could be held at the club.

The upstairs bar, the Hanbury Arms, will be transformed into a quiet cigar bar with newspapers, books and old-fashioned leather armchairs.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Fair enough the venue but don't f*** with the boozer too.

Jesus Christ. This town becomes more elitist by the second.

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
ChapmansThe Saviour said:
Fair enough the venue but don't f*** with the boozer too.

Jesus Christ. This town becomes more elitist by the second.

"... the Hanbury Club and will be aimed at Brighton and Hove's creative
community with the first of 1,500 to 2,000 members picked by a founding
committee of ten celebrities and well-known locals."

That sounds like hell. Can you imagine?

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Unless they really do something special with it (and I'm struggling to think what) I'd give it five minutes and they'll be clamouring for "normal" people to go in there and drink their £8 cocktails.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
REDLAND said:
"... the Hanbury Club and will be aimed at Brighton and Hove's creative
community with the first of 1,500 to 2,000 members picked by a founding
committee of ten celebrities and well-known locals."

That sounds like hell. Can you imagine?

It's bullshit. 'well-known locals'? Give me a break.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
It's a ready identifier though, innit?

If someone's a member then you know they're a wanker. Saves a lot of time.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
REDLAND said:
The iconic building will be renamed the Hanbury Club and will be aimed at Brighton and Hove's creative community with the first of 1,500 to 2,000 members picked by a founding committee of ten celebrities and well-known locals.

Yearly membership is expected to cost about £250 but local artists, authors and musicians will pay £100.
I'd say that figure is hopelessly optimistic. Poncey, pretentious and elitist in the extreme. If I didn't know better, I'd say she was star-struck. I'll give it six months before the quality-threshold takes a terminal nosedive, and every Tom, Dick & Harry can get in there without forking out £250.

afters

Jul 9, 2003
as 10cc say, not in hove
the hanbury is brighton's best live music venue, and not only is this a terrible shame it's also a complete waste of £100,000 refitting this place out as a members' club. has exactly 0% chance of success...the ocean rooms was opened with the same idea....

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Dick Knights Mum said:
Is anyone a member of that Club my friend was telling me about - that sounds similar - for media types - isn't Julie Burchill a member. Any clues from anyone ?
Sounds like it might have been the Sussex Arts Club in Middle Street. Afters was a member for a while and managed to blag some other lowlife wastrels like myself in there often enough.

Bizarrely, they seem to be concentrating on being a fee-paying venue these days - they wanted £5-6 entry on a Thursday night after the recent quiz night, which is taking the piss now the licencing laws have been extended - we managed to drink until 2am without paying to get in anywhere. It's a nice bar though.

I'm absoutely gutted by this news. I heard about it first at the Midlake gig last friday. Discovering it is to become a private members club is just astonishing. It will be a precious vanity project and one I hope is doomed to failure.

The Hanbury is a vital piece in the cultural jigsaw that goes to make up Brighton's thriving music scene and to lose it is a bitter blow.

Far be it from me to argue with the bean-counters at Zel with regards to the economics, but I do wonder whether they had fully explored ways of making the venue pay and keeping it alive.

And the news isn't to good on other venues either, as the Freebutt is currently closed due to 'noise' issues, I hope they can recover as quickly as the Albert and Hope did from their brushes with officialdom.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Row Z Creased Shirt said:

Far be it from me to argue with the bean-counters at Zel with regards to the economics, but I do wonder whether they had fully explored ways of making the venue pay and keeping it alive.

Putting a decent band on there once in a while wouldn't hurt. Unfortunately promoters seem to choose venues like the Engine Rooms, Pressure Point and so on instead of the Ballrooms. I wonder why? Last band I bothered seeing there was the Kooks a couple of years ago, since then nothing has grabbed my attention. Maybe promoters don't like dealing with whoever runs the place.

Oh yeah and they used to open some nights and not promote them properly and hence nobody would turn up.

Badly run in my opinion.

ChapmansThe Saviour said:
Putting a decent band on there once in a while wouldn't hurt. Unfortunately promoters seem to choose venues like the Engine Rooms, Pressure Point and so on instead of the Ballrooms. I wonder why? Last band I bothered seeing there was the Kooks a couple of years ago, since then nothing has grabbed my attention. Maybe promoters don't like dealing with whoever runs the place.

Oh yeah and they used to open some nights and not promote them properly and hence nobody would turn up.

Badly run in my opinion.

Plenty of the gigs I've been to there have been pretty full, and the place was sold out last friday for Midlake. I've also been to some poorly attended and promoted shows too, no different to any other venue really.

The promoters I know found the venue to be a pleasure to deal with. But this is all by the by.

I stand to be corrected but it appears to me that Zel did very little to to try and improve the economic situation at the Hanbury. Selling up seems to be the easy option rather than trying to innovate and turn its fortunes around.

I don't expect Zel to continue a loss making venue just for the sake of it, but they didn't seem to try very hard to do anything about it.

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
why would anyone want to gig at the engine rooms?

it's a shit hole:lolol:

but yea I agree, shame about the Hanbury Ballroom.

Elitist shit like this makes me wish I had the money to buy it myself and keep it how it is.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
bigc said:
why would anyone want to gig at the engine rooms?

it's a shit hole:lolol:

I've been to a few wicked gigs in there. It's alright if you don't mind getting a bit dirty. Nine Black Alps player there a while ago and it f***ing RAWKED.

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
Fair enough.

ever been to "bnone" upstairs?

a very bizarre bar populated by dodgy foreigners.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
REDLAND said:
its a bit grotty these days, but agreat venue. I have been to some wick'erd 'stick it on' there. Shame as another live music venue shuts down..

The Grade II-listed Hanbury Ballroom in St George's Road, Brighton, will reopen in October as a private members' club after a five-week £100,000 refurbishment by new owners Amanda Blanch and Chris Edwards, of boutique hotel Blanch House.

Well I think the 'bit grotty these days' is the key. Always seemed to me the Hanbury's hearts were never really in it, like they were just going through the motions of trying to be 'different'. Which is a tad tricky in Brighton.

Has to be said also that Blanch House is the most expensive meal for two I ever paid for in me life - and the cocktail bar is ACE especially if Primal Scream's promoters are paying :clap2:

Chris and Amanda are decent people tho. I support them in their bid to extract as much money as possible out of the pockets of INCOMERS. :clap2: :clap2:

Last edited:

simonsimon

Dec 31, 2004
The building is cursed:
"History

The Hanbury Arms pub was first opened in 1865. It was converted from a private house by its first landlord, a Mr Maidlow.

The pub incorporates a mausoleum built in 1892 by Sir Albert Sassoon who was originally called Abdullah. He was a descendant of Sheikh Sason ben Saleh, who was head of the Jewish community in Baghdad in the late eighteenth century.

The Sassoons' remains were moved to London in 1933 when Albert Sassoon's grandson sold the property. The mausoleum was used as an air-raid shelter during the war and then bought by the Hanbury Arms in 1953."

The building was a graveyard for Mega rich bastards, and when their decendants sold it they removed the remains and took them away to another family mausoleam in London.

Building should have been demolished decades ago.

:smokin: :smokin: :smokin:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports