Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Hamas/Gaza/Israel

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
As it should be. Put yourself in their shoes. Surrounded by enemies. The only way to survive is to always bring revenge x 10 on them. If they didn’t they would be walked all over.
Might be the only way to survive. Certainly not the way to end the conflict. In which case we can see today's events as nothing more than the continuation of a neverending conflict which both sides habitually bring on themselves and there's certainly no good-side or bad-side apparent.

So I'm not sure why we bother worrying about it so much over here, just let them get in with it just like at let so many other struggles for land and control carry on all over the world with barely a flicker of attention.

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
Dangerous times, with the prospect of other groups being drawn in. One thing is absolutely certain though, there will be an horrendous response by Israel and it won't be short.

Hope my old Kibbutz (Ruchama) that Mrs Shingle and I stayed at when we were young is ok, it's just 10k from Sderot.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
As it should be. Put yourself in their shoes. Surrounded by enemies. The only way to survive is to always bring revenge x 10 on them. If they didn’t they would be walked all over.
applies to the Palestinians, right?

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I doubt it myself. If we were talking about Hezbollah, then it'd be a different story.
Hamas are backed by Iran as well, they took control in a power struggle with the PLO. It was done deliberately so that they have fronts in the north, part of the east and part of south west

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
Dangerous times, with the prospect of other groups being drawn in. One thing is absolutely certain though, there will be an horrendous response by Israel and it won't be short.

Hope my old Kibbutz (Ruchama) that Mrs Shingle and I stayed at when we were young is ok, it's just 10k from Sderot.
Just saying on Sky that there has been a massacre at a Kibbutz, bit not your one.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Might be the only way to survive. Certainly not the way to end the conflict. In which case we can see today's events as nothing more than the continuation of a neverending conflict which both sides habitually bring on themselves and there's certainly no good-side or bad-side apparent.

So I'm not sure why we bother worrying about it so much over here, just let them get on with it just like at let so many other struggles for land and control carry on all over the world with barely a flicker of attention.
:wozza:

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Now I had always thought this was a fight between Israel and Palestine being backed by Various Arab states, the USA and various Western states, Russia and various Eastern European States, some Arab states supporting Western states (even if they fund terrorist acts against those western states), some Arab states backing Russia, nearly all the states trying to get something out of it and a background of a good few hundred years of ethnic history.

But this thread has finally set my mind at rest that it's just good people v evil people :facepalm:
your assessment was true until 1980s when a radicalised Iran came on the scene. Israel hated because they backed the Shah. The geo politics have moved so that some arab states are more friendly with Israel than they are with Syria, Iraq and Iran.... In simple terms Israel is nearer being on our side than Iran currently is. and that might influence perception.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
It's times like this I'm thankful Trump is no longer President of the USA.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
It’s a western world ideologically against a medieval one so yes you are right . There are as you rightly sat lots of other countries involved but all you need to do is read through the list of countries that actively support the Palestinian military cause - Iran , Syria , Russia etc a list of evil govts .

knekkebrød

May 20, 2018
Norway
Pardon my english, but this is all just a tragedy. Nothing good will come out of this.

How an operation like this is allowed to go undetected by israeli intelligence is beyond me. They claim to have detailed knowledge into the wherabouts of Hamas and what they(idf) claim is their(hamas) military infrastructure. Yet a lot of people has started a BIG operation undetected.

According to Haaretz IDF(with the same intelligence) has responded by blowing up two "high-rise buildings". High-rise buildings... we know what that is. They were homes . Homes of civilians. Just like that, IDF managed to (possibly) surpass the entire Hamas attack in one airstrike. It won't stop there

Palestine is occupied, Gaza is a victim of an illegal blockade. The palestinians do have the right to attack Israel. Just as much as the ukrainians have the right to attack Russia. But they do not have the right to target civilians. Just tragedy.

We all know what will happen in the following days, weeks and possibly months. Just as much as the palestinians have a right to fight their oppressors, they are too weak, they don't have the weapons, they don't have the training, they don't have the organization, and they don't have the support of the western world. The amount of terror the palestinians will have to endure as IDF seek revenge is going to be enormous.

It is up to us, citizens of european countries(allies of Israel) that have the tools to stop Israel from respond with a masacre, a new "cast lead".

In the end violence is not the way. Guns, rockets and bombs are not the right tools.

(I spent three months living in a small village in the west bank some years ago. I know what an occupation is when I experience one).

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
your assessment was true until 1980s when a radicalised Iran came on the scene. Israel hated because they backed the Shah. The geo politics have moved so that some arab states are more friendly with Israel than they are with Syria, Iraq and Iran.... In simple terms Israel is nearer being on our side than Iran currently is. and that might influence perception.

I don't believe Iran have become one of the major powers in world politics since the 1980s.

Iran certainly became more radicalised after 1980 and some got closer to the Russians (I remember it well and had mates at the time who got dragged back to Iran), but there are huge numbers of Iranians across lots of different political/ethnic groups. Saudi have always been close to the west despite funding Al Quaeda and everything they did. The minor powers in world politics will try and get their power wherever they can :shrug:

As a dodgy South American once said 'ees complicated' :wink:

Krafty

Apr 19, 2023
Pardon my english, but this is all just a tragedy. Nothing good will come out of this.

How an operation like this is allowed to go undetected by israeli intelligence is beyond me. They claim to have detailed knowledge into the wherabouts of Hamas and what they(idf) claim is their(hamas) military infrastructure. Yet a lot of people has started a BIG operation undetected.

According to Haaretz IDF(with the same intelligence) has responded by blowing up two "high-rise buildings". High-rise buildings... we know what that is. (1) They were homes . Homes of civilians. Just like that, IDF managed to (possibly) surpass the entire Hamas attack in one airstrike. It won't stop there

Palestine is occupied, Gaza is a victim of an illegal blockade. The palestinians do have the right to attack Israel. Just as much as the ukrainians have the right to attack Russia. (2) But they do not have the right to target civilians. Just tragedy.

We all know what will happen in the following days, weeks and possibly months. Just as much as the palestinians have a right to fight their oppressors, they are too weak, they don't have the weapons, they don't have the training, (3) they don't have the organization, and they don't have the support of the western world. The amount of terror the palestinians will have to endure as IDF seek revenge is going to be enormous.

It is up to us, citizens of european countries(allies of Israel) that have the tools to stop Israel from respond with a masacre, a new "cast lead".

(4) In the end violence is not the way. Guns, rockets and bombs are not the right tools.

(I spent three months living in a small village in the west bank some years ago. I know what an occupation is when I experience one).
(1) According to the BBC, at the top of the high-rise was the radio tower of the Hamas, however there were likely many civilians killed in the bombing.
(2) Thousands of people have been killed throughout the conflict from both sides, 150 have been killed in Israel by the Palestinian strikes today according to their emergency services.
(3) They have support from the Arab League, Organisation of Islamic Cooperation, Syria, Iran and are governed by Fatah (in the West Bank) and Hamas (in the Gaza Strip) - there is an organisation in Palestine, alike Israel.
(4) I do not condemn violence, in fact most wish the world was at peace but know that this will not be achieved soon, there are two sides of this conflict that needs to be addressed and I am trying to provide another view to this comment using the sources I've found - although, I must state that, these could be biased.

Last edited:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
And why not? They'll fight tooth and nail for the survival of their nation state - with or without US backing
By committing large scale war crimes. Terrific.

I think I’ll decline to pick a side In this. Murderous scum on both sides.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here