[News] Hamas/Gaza/Israel

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
This horrendous Hamas attack has certainly highlighted to me how badly the Palestinians are being treated

Yes, quite a few people seem to have made a similar journey, many out on UK streets waving Palestinian flags within a few days of the atrocity.

Personally, the horrendous Hamas attack highlighted to me the constant threat Israelis live under and what a loathsome organisation Hamas is.

Last edited:

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
Yes, quite a few people seem to have made a similar journey, many out on UK streets waving Palestinian flags within a few days of the atrocity.

Personally, the horrendous Hamas attack highlighted to me the constant threat Israelis live under and what a loathsome organisation Hamas is.
Well, exactly

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

But that's somewhat ignoring WHY Hamas came into being is it not ?

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería

16516.jpeg

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I think that's completely fair enough. I don't think anybody on here has argued otherwise (not that I have seen, anyway).

I'm in the same boat actually - the heinous attacks were utterly sickening, and I can't imagine what it must have been like to experience such events - or even to live, and continue to live, in the areas where they took place (and where possibly similar could happen again).

Equally, seeing the subsequent Israeli response, followed by a lot of reading here and elsewhere about the more general situation, have made me very much more aware of the plight of the general population of the Palestinian territories, and the attitudes of the Israeli governments towards them. Whilst the deprivations and hardships of those peoples lend themselves less to sensationalist ghoulish headlines, their suffering is just as real - and for decades.

As I have commented previously - neither side in this conflict are the 'goodies'. It a desperately sad situation, with no simple answers - and the actions of the decision-makers on both sides right now are actively recruiting the next generation of extremists. :down:

Last edited:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
There's quite a bit to unpack here.

Israel has slaughtered a couple of thousand children in the last couple of weeks, with their indiscriminate bombing. Were they also 'difficult to distinguish from Hamas soldiers'? When you are indiscriminately raining munitions down on a hemmed in population, from miles away, what people are wearing doesn't seem remotely relevant, does it?

Hamas are a murderous terrorist organisation. Of course the Israeli government and armed forces should be held to a higher f***ing standard. Good f***ing grief.
8,000 deaths in 25 days of air strikes in a densely-packed area of 3 million people? It may be many things, but it's certainly not indiscriminate

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I think that's completely fair enough. I don't think anybody on here has argued otherwise (not that I have seen, anyway).

I'm in the same boat actually - the heinous attacks were utterly sickening, and I can't imagine what it must have been like to experience such events - or even to live, and continue to live, in the areas where they took place (and where possibly similar could happen again).

Equally, seeing the subsequent Israeli response, followed by a lot of reading here and elsewhere about the more general situation, have made me very much more aware of the plight of the general population of the Palestinian territories, and the attitudes of the Israeli governments towards them. Whilst the deprivations and hardships of those peoples lend themselves less to sensationalist ghoulish headlines, their suffering is just as real - and for decades.

As I have commented previously - neither side in this conflict are the 'goodies'. It a desperately sad situation, with no simple answers - and the actions of the decision-makers on both sides right now are actively recruiting the next generation of extremists. :sad:
That's a very decent summary of my position too.

Over the last three weeks or so, I've learned that I was previously woefully uninformed on the whole situation. I certainly won't pretend to be highly knowledgable now, but I know more than I did. And, like you, I've been left stunned at the way the Israeli forces and settlers seem able to kill at will without fear of retribution. Living where we do, I can't imagine a scenario where people could head over to a nearby village, kill a few people, return home and that is the end of the story. No arrests, no investigation and no consequences for the killers.

But because I can feel empathy towards the plight of the many Palestinians who just wish to be able to live in peace without fear, that doesn't mean I can't feel exactly the same for the people of Israel and, more broadly, Jewish people worldwide, because I absolutely do. It also doesn't mean I support Hamas in any way. I have nothing but contempt for Hamas and the atrocities they are responsible for. The whole region would be better if they didn't exist, although I have no idea how that can be achieved.

Yet, both NSC and me directly has come under attack for being antisemitic even though nothing could be further from the truth. We've permanently banned those who have expressed antisemitism via posts on here.

It really does seem to be the case that those who have unwavering support for Israel don't seem capable of reading and understanding those who may question their government's actions. It absolutely does not mean the author of those questions is antisemitic and wishes any ills upon Israel's people nor the wider Jewish population.

Hamas are the government of Palestine. It's a sad truth that they do represent ordinary Palestinians, whether the ordinary Palestinians want them to or not.

There is no means of com[promise between the man who wants a baby dead, and a man who wants a baby to live. They cannot both have just part of what they want. Only one can be pleased. Obviously Israel does have the alternative of simply closing the border, letting Palestine fend for itself with support from whoever wishes to give it them, but I suspect that would be considered inhumane as well. One thing can be stated with near certainty - that no Palestinians will be allowed to cross the border from Gaza as long as Hamas are in charge.

(Even if Palestine's infrastructure was intact, they would still be struggling. It's pretty clear that the Israeli policy of supplying fuel and water to Gaza is going to stop, probably forever. They are going to have to make their own via desalination plants. They used to have an aquifer, but they didn't maintain it and it is contaminated by pollution and sea water.)

A tiny bright spark - after WW2, the German support for Hitler faded away very quickly as the Germans realised what an evil government had been representing them. Part of this was by showing every adult and near-adult German a film of the atrocities such as Belsen. Perhaps the Palestinians could be shown what has been done in their name and see if that helps. Though possibly the religious indoctrination is even more deep rooted than the Nazi indoctrination; so many of them may be too far gone down the "Jews are evil" line to ever get over it.
Agree.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
The memory of the holocaust plays a part but there are other factors. Firstly, having a key ally in the region is crucial for the US's strategic ambitions. Secondly, you have the Christian Zionists who believe we need the Jews in the Holy Land to beget the second coming. I appreciate that last point might seem a little outré but these fellows have had sway across the pond since before the founding fathers.
"...who believe we need the Jews in the Holy Land to beget the second coming. "

Well I never knew that, very interesting. Can't see a second coming sorting much out positively though.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
8,000 deaths in 25 days of air strikes in a densely-packed area of 3 million people? It may be many things, but it's certainly not indiscriminate

The majority of those 8000 deaths are women and children. Hospitals and health centres have been hit. Schools and markets. UNRWA buildings. Whole streets demolished. It's not exactly precision strikes.

In the most deadly months of the Irag war the civilian death toll didn't exceed 3300. The one-month count of Palestinians may well be triple that.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
"...who believe we need the Jews in the Holy Land to beget the second coming. "

Well I never knew that, very interesting. Can't see a second coming sorting much out positively though.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire

Thanks, I'll have a read during the coming 2 days of storm 👍.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

What do you think Israel were hoping to achieve when they funded the set up and development of Hamas ?

Last edited:

borat

Jul 16, 2003
The memory of the holocaust plays a part but there are other factors. Firstly, having a key ally in the region is crucial for the US's strategic ambitions. Secondly, you have the Christian Zionists who believe we need the Jews in the Holy Land to beget the second coming. I appreciate that last point might seem a little outré but these fellows have had sway across the pond since before the founding fathers.
There are powerful lobby groups in the States e.g. AIPAC who fund pro-Israeli candidates and seek to block dissenting voices from even running.

Another powerful lobby group is the right wing Christian United For Israel who have around 10 million members.

You can see how much is openly distributed to Congress on the link below. Joe Biden earning a tidy $4 million over the years.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
There are powerful lobby groups in the States e.g. AIPAC who fund pro-Israeli candidates and seek to block dissenting voices from even running.

Another powerful lobby group is the right wing Christian United For Israel who have around 10 million members.

You can see how much is openly distributed to Congress on the link below. Joe Biden earning a tidy $4 million over the years.

who'd a thunk it was all about money, religion pah

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports