Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Half Term (end of year) Report

_mark_

Aug 24, 2011
Just my opinions and that's why we all love football..........

Tomasz Kuszczak - Class, but what else would you expect from a full international with Premier League (PL) & Champions League (CL) experience.

Brez - Not enough games to comment but let's hope TK stays fit.

Casper - Not enough games to comment but let's hope TK stays fit.

Wayne Bridge - Total quality and without a doubt the best player in the team. Great in defence & great going forward. Rarely gives the ball away and in my opinion is too good for this league.

Inigo Calderon - A fine pro who we should be proud of, not enough games this season to really comment.

Gordon Greer (captain) - Depandable but not inspirational. A fine player when not under pressure but is often found out under the high ball (won about 3 headers all season). Should advance forward more often rather than play the square ball.

Adam El-Abd - Although a fans favourite he is without a doubt the least gifted footballer in the team. A bad center back and a terrible right back he is a liability at every corner and free kick. Adam is an accident waiting to happen. Lately teams let him have as much possession as he wants knowing more often that not it will result in us losing the ball. If I was in charge he would never set foot on the hallowed Amex turf unless we had injury problems.

Lewis Dunk - I'm a fan but this season he will be remembered for the "Selhurst" incident. Touted by some PL clubs this undoubtedly talented individual should be given the #5 shirt and a starting position for good.

Bruno - Great signing. Terrific with the ball both in defence and attacking down the right wing. Occasionally absent from this defensive duties after making a run into the opponents half but I can live with that.

Marcos Painter - Played 3 games when WB was injured and did OK. Reliable cover to have at the back but not someone you would want starting too often.

Dean Hammond - Back on a season long loan and has done OK. I was expecting a little more after he played in Southampton's promotion winning team last year.

Andrew Crofts - Disappointing. When he re-signed I was hoping he would dominate games in the middle of the park but that hasn't happened so far. Another OK performer who needs to raise his game in the future. A few goals from midfield would also be handy.

Liam Bridcutt - Mr Dependable rarely puts a foot wrong and will be playing PL football in the next few seasons I'm sure. Great at receiving the ball from the defence, breaking up play, starting attacks and generally being very very good. I wish he play higher up the pitch but then we would lose some of his defensive quality and you can't have it both ways. Also wins a ridiculous amount of headers for someone who is not the tallest midfielder.

Andrea Orlandi - Still not sure exactly how good (or bad) he is. Has shown signs of real class when running games for brief periods but this doesn't happen often enough. Missed a couple of sitters in front of goal and that's not what you would expect from a player with a big reputation who played an important role when Swansea gained promotion to the PL.

David Lopez - Not impressed. Don't really see (other than scoring 2 penalties) what he brings to the team. Will often watch half the match and not notice his presence on the pitch. He played 150+ games in Spain's top league and I'm sure Gus expected more.

Ryan Harley - Lots of fancy tricks when warming up at half time but that's about all he will be remembered for this season. Sent to Milton Keynes.

Gary Dicker - Plays the "Gus" way allegedly. Loves 2-3 yard and irrelevant passes that make his stats look good. He tends to play well against lesser teams and we cant afford that luxury. I'm not his biggest fan.

William Buckley - A great player who when on form is up there with the best in the league. Has a great footballing brain and is normally clinical in front of goal. One slight complaint is his tendency to have quiet periods after a strong start but I'll forgive him that because of his work rate. Another player who will be playing PL football at some point in the future.

Kazenga LuaLua - Most of his appearances this season are from the substitutes bench and this is where he tends to be more effective. Possesses a fierce shot and is capable of game changing moments. Inconsistency is Kaz's biggest problem right now but hopefully as he matures (both on & off the field) he can become a star of the future.

Vicente - How we would all love to see the Spanish maestro back at some point this season. At times last year he was unplayable. Fingers crossed.

Will Hoskins - Never gets a run in the team so it's tough to pass too much judgement. Has missed some great chances when he has been handed the opportunity so lets hope a goal at The Amex will get some confidence into someone who looks like he desperately needs it. Not good enough in my opinion.

Stephen Dobbie - Not really sure why Gus signed him and then handed out so few opportunities. Has a great touch in and around the box but I'm not sure he's the answer to our attacking problems. I wish he'd show just a little more enthusiasm as acting like Dimitar Berbatov doesn't mean you're as good as him.

Ashley Barnes - I think we all know Ash isn't the most technically gifted footballer in the team. It's hugely frustration watching him fail to control the ball or misjudge the weight of a pass but we've gotten used to it as Gus seems to like him. The most obvious reason for this affection is that he weighs in with his fair share of goals and in this team that's pretty important. I think he might be missed if he wasn't available. Wouldn't be in my first XI though.

Craig Mackail-Smith - Our record signing seems to be splitting opinion right now. Fantastic work rate but not much end product is my assessment. Misses too many good chances to be top class but will always get goals due to his industry. Defenders in this league seemed to have worked him out, making him play with his back to goal trying to link play. Would love to see him play in a 4-4-2 formation as I think we might then see his potential but that isn't going to happen so I won't hold my breath.

Torbjorn Agdestein - Not enough game time this year to comment.

Another mid table finish for us coming up which is a decent return given the squad. The Championship is a tough league and it might take us a few years to make the step up to the PL.

Would be great if we acquired a central defender, goal scoring midfielder & a new centre forward in the January sales but don't see that happening. If it did and JFC and Vicente made telling contributions we might just sneak into the last playoff place.

If we sell CMS, WB & LB we're in real trouble and the Gus bus might just start to lose momentum.

Happy New Year.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Nice one, Mark. And what about Gus?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here