Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hahnemann reveals Pardew shock

brighton rock

Jul 5, 2003
lancing
Hahnemann reveals Pardew shock

Pardew quits Reading
Reading goalkeeper Marcus Hahnemann has revealed his disappointment at the resignation of manager Alan Pardew.

The Royals boss handed in his notice following interest from West Ham, though Reading have refused to accept his resignation.

Hahnemann insisted that the players are concentrating only on Reading's next game - intriguingly against West Ham at Upton Park on Saturday.

"I was a little bit shocked at the news, but the writing was on the wall with the way things were going," Hahnemann told BBC Radio Berkshire.

"I guess West Ham offered him a package which Reading couldn't match.

"The West Ham game is going to be a big one for the fans and the players and we feel we are on a par with them.

"That's what Pards has led us to believe all season, that we are as good as anybody," said the American keeper.

I know that if a club came in and offered me two or three times the money I'm on then I would find it difficult not to go

Reading keeper Marcus Hahnemann

"Because we are doing so well right now, everyone is looking at it and saying that it's not really a step up to go to West Ham. They are a bigger club, but right now we are pushing to get into that Premiership."

But Hahnemann insists he bears no resentment towards Pardew following his decision to quit.

"I'm disappointed but I know he made a decision based on what is best for him and his family.

"As a player I love it at Reading, but I know that if a club came in and offered me two or three times the money I'm on then I would find it difficult not to go."

Hahnemann has backed assistant manager Kevin Dillon to take over on a permanent basis.

The former Newcastle midfielder has been placed in temporary charge for the trip to West Ham, with coach Brian McDermott and Academy boss Nicky Hammond assisting.

And Hahnemann said: "Hopefully we'll have some continuity and I'm sure Kevin Dillon will probably take over, unless Pards wants to take him along with him.

"I like Kevin. He and Brian McDermott do a lot of the coaching during the week and while they are not actually picking the players on a Saturday, they have a big impact on how we actually play the game."

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here