Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Had you heard of Roberto De Zerbi a week ago?

Had you heard of Roberto De Zerbi a week ago?

• Of course I had!

Votes: 13 4.8%
  • No, no I hadn't

Votes: 256 95.2%

• Total voters

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Lol not a chance ... I had heard of Potter, during his time in Sweden... I thought I’d be fun looking back at our recent permanent managers... in a little game of - had I heard of them:

Hughton, yes.
Hyppia, yes.
Garcia, can’t remember, but possibly not.
Poyet, yes.
Slade, yes.
Adams (the return), yes...

In short, during my 35ish years following the club this will be the second manager I’ve not heard of as a player and/or coach... given the league position we’re in ... I’d suggest that’s a bit worrying. Just a little.

Interesting, or perhaps not.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I am terrible for retaining names and career stats for anyone who isn't at Brighton and Hove Albion (depending on how long they are with us, and how remarkable their time was, I'm not that great at retaining that info after they leave). So it's possible I had heard mention of him, but I don't recall it if I had. Same is true for so many people who have come through the club.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Back in the day, before t'internet, those of us who lived at a distance from Brighton struggled to get much more information than the results on Sports Report on a Saturday night. The national newspaper coverage of lower league teams (like us back then) was pretty sketchy, except maybe at the end of a season if there was an exciting promotion race going on (as in 1972, for example).
Back in the day (again; sorry!) managers didn't feature much in sports reporting generally; a two or three inch (if we were lucky) snippett in the Sunday or Monday papers about Brighton's game on Saturday, 9 times out of 10 wouldn't even mention the manager. So I can remember lots of managers I'd never heard of before they came to us - George Curtis, Archie ManCauley, Freddie Goodwin, Pat Saward .............. Russell Slade ............. Oscar Garcia .................... through to Graham Potter. Many of the other names I only new as previous players - Bailey, Coppell, Poyet et al. I'd crtainly heard of Clough (but I wish we hadn't bothered).
So no, I haven't heard of this Roberto .......... Roberto something .............. If he comes here, I just hope he is very successful.

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
Had you heard of Roberto De Zerbi a week ago?

No but I had heard of Sassuolo does that count?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I still haven't heard of him. :shrug:

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Well, had you?

Screenshot 2022-09-17 at 21.34.12.png

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Voted "no".

I had noticed a team called Sassuolo who I'd never heard of, doing well in Serie A and did some reading on them to see if they were really a kind of miracle small club, so at some point on my googling it would have told me De Zerbi was the coach but did I remember him and go "ah, that guy!"? No, not immediately.

Was a nice little research project when he appeared on the short list. Plenty of you tubes out there about him and Sassuolo. So, based on a few highlights, two tactical videos, a look at their results under him and the fact he's available right now, I've decided get him in*.

*also I have a tenner on him at 4-1

At that rate you'll be going full Swansman over him in a few week's time.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
No, but I believe he's heard of me.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
At that rate you'll be going full Swansman over him in a few week's time.

:lolol:

Seriously, a quiet week for work anyway last week and with the Queen dying and therefore the telly becoming wall to wall mourning, and Potter and Bruno leaving and therefore NSC becoming wall to wall mourning, it was either research the candidates or sit in a corner rocking.

I'll be back to chucking a dart at something and going "that'll do" next week.

(Although I am the sort of saddo who checks European leagues occasionally and has been known to watch "Thursday nights are Europa nights").

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here