Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Had time to reflect on today's game

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
and come to the conclusion that Lewis Dunk deserved a straight red for the very bad tackle on Billy Sharp. Dunk showed no signs of going for the ball, just looked to be going straight in to put Billy out of the game, which he did do with seemingly disastrous consequences for the rest of our barely born new season.

Lots of hard but fair tackles went in from both sides but some, again from both sides, were borderline dangerous.

The referee was not fit to referee a Sunday morning amateur game let alone a Championship game.

Rovers left Brighton tonight with two seemingly serious injuries that will definitely affect the season's prospects for us.

Thanks for nothing Brighton and Hove Albion Football club's players. Arseholes. I truly hope your season ends in tatters and you go back down the pan.

The majority of pundits, fans and assorted harbingers of doom and gloom have us for relegation this season, I don't think we will go down but if we do I'll take much pleasure in seeing Brighton and Hove Albion's name on the papers going down with us.

Poyet played thuggishly when he was playing and it seems that he wants his squad to play that way too. I hope I'm wrong but it doesn't seem like it at the moment.

The best thing about today was seeing your nice bright shiny new stadium. It's nice and I hope you're very happy there.

What a load of utter bollocks. Have seen the highlights on the telly? You were desperately unlucky with both injuries yesterday. We, on the other hand, were fortunate to come away unscathed from some of the dirty, thuggish tackles going in on our boys by your players. It was open season on Lua Lua and Barnes at times yesterday. Disgraceful.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Planning permission. Pure and simple.

Absolute

You never were rivals. Look how many Saints threads there have been since June but if you no longer regard us as rivals - why are you here trying to engage Brighton fans in banter?

They always did make good DIVISIONAL/TITLE rivals who just happened to be local just to add a sprinkling of rivalry,that's all-Brighton were always going to be a league 1 battle hardened hard nosed promotion rival,to a team who to be fair had not experienced a neck and neck promotion fight in a long time-RIVALS? never.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
For what its worth. The ref had a shocker.

Two of the four challenges on Kaz were worthy of bookings only one player was booked (mainly because the second was by the same player). Wasn't a dive, but equally wasn't a penalty. The challenge on Ashley was shocking, off the ground (and therefore under today's interpretation not in control) so could've been red, but yellow was right. Dunk's challenge mistimed warranted a booking.

Thought the share of play was relatively even in the first half, Brighton just played too slowly. The second half was all Brighton and a deserved win.

I didn't think Donny were physicial and played quite nice football, when they were allowed the ball. Good game, great atmosphere.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Back to the game-we came good in the end rode a little luck,atmosphere has set the standard,and by all accounts everything went well as it could if not better-We are home and time to look forward-with real happiness and purpose.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
They always did make good DIVISIONAL/TITLE rivals who just happened to be local just to add a sprinkling of rivalry,that's all-Brighton were always going to be a league 1 battle hardened hard nosed promotion rival,to a team who to be fair had not experienced a neck and neck promotion fight in a long time-RIVALS? never.

It's taken Southampton a whole YEAR to get above us in the table :lolol:

Mar 29, 2010
Under your skin.
Oh the ikkle Donny fan doesn't like us.

Maria, my mighty heart is breaking.

post-5874-1188271874_thumb.jpg

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
and come to the conclusion that Lewis Dunk deserved a straight red for the very bad tackle on Billy Sharp. Dunk showed no signs of going for the ball, just looked to be going straight in to put Billy out of the game, which he did do with seemingly disastrous consequences for the rest of our barely born new season.

Lots of hard but fair tackles went in from both sides but some, again from both sides, were borderline dangerous.

The referee was not fit to referee a Sunday morning amateur game let alone a Championship game.

Rovers left Brighton tonight with two seemingly serious injuries that will definitely affect the season's prospects for us.

Thanks for nothing Brighton and Hove Albion Football club's players. Arseholes. I truly hope your season ends in tatters and you go back down the pan.

The majority of pundits, fans and assorted harbingers of doom and gloom have us for relegation this season, I don't think we will go down but if we do I'll take much pleasure in seeing Brighton and Hove Albion's name on the papers going down with us.

Poyet played thuggishly when he was playing and it seems that he wants his squad to play that way too. I hope I'm wrong but it doesn't seem like it at the moment.

The best thing about today was seeing your nice bright shiny new stadium. It's nice and I hope you're very happy there.

your gush leaves me with two honest questions for you.......1, have you ever actually played a game of competative football. 2 ,did you get home with your hand -bag...??? lua lua gets spanked up i the air all the time , dunk is not a nasty player.....end of .... good luck for the rest of the season.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales

I can understand your sentiments, nobody likes to see players injured, however much of what you have said also applies to your players/managers treatment of Lualua.

For what its worth, I thought Doncaster were by some way the better team in the first half, quite a wake up call for some of our players to the quality of this division.

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
For what its worth. The ref had a shocker.

Two of the four challenges on Kaz were worthy of bookings only one player was booked (mainly because the second was by the same player). Wasn't a dive, but equally wasn't a penalty. The challenge on Ashley was shocking, off the ground (and therefore under today's interpretation not in control) so could've been red, but yellow was right. Dunk's challenge mistimed warranted a booking.

Thought the share of play was relatively even in the first half, Brighton just played too slowly. The second half was all Brighton and a deserved win.

I didn't think Donny were physicial and played quite nice football, when they were allowed the ball. Good game, great atmosphere.

At last, someone commenting on the same game that I watched!

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
And to Slinky, yes I am bitter and every right to be so. LuaLua is no choirboy and puts himself about, I suspect that's the reason why he's at your club. He knows all the tricks of a Premiership player and tried a few on today - especially that outrageous dive for a penalty.

Not how the experts on the Football League saw it though. You guys had a bad day - dished out as much as you got (and I would argue started it). Hate to see a player taken off on a stretcher but get some perspective for God's sake.

X Isle

Mar 6, 2011
Worthing
What a load of utter bollocks. Have seen the highlights on the telly? You were desperately unlucky with both injuries yesterday. We, on the other hand, were fortunate to come away unscathed from some of the dirty, thuggish tackles going in on our boys by your players. It was open season on Lua Lua and Barnes at times yesterday. Disgraceful.

If I can inject a neutral perspective here please. I did give this advice on your promotion, you'd do well to heed it. You might not like it but it's a solid gold fact about your new life in the CCC, we went through the same thing when we came up and the CCC hasn't changed a bit.

The CCC is more skilful, you get punished for your mistakes more, you rue your missed chances more, the difference between winning and losing is a finer line. However the greatest difference is the 'physicality' and 'gamesmanship' of the opposition. In the first couple of months we were gobsmacked at how dirty and cheaty the opposition were and how much bigger, faster and stronger they were than us coming out of league 1.

I have watched the highlights of your game yesterday now and I fear Poyet hasn't recognised that problem. You've made some excellent signings but you've not signed any 'man mountains' and you've not signed any 'dirty cheating wotsits'. We managed without any for a short while on the bubble of our promotion but ultimately you have to fight fire with fire. It wasn't until we signed big players, it wasn't until we signed dirty players that we could hold our own.

I was delighted with your win yesterday, it was an Argyle fan that gave you the idea to spark your resistence and as an Argyle fan going through the same sort of mill now who's followed your 14 year journey closely it was a fairytale. So i'm not coming at this with hostility but genuine goodwill and a desire to see you push on.

Poyet will spend the entire season in the stands though if he kicks out at every injustice - because players push, pull, kick, dive, spit, snarl, cheat against you. He needs to change the physicality and naivety I can see in your set-up to really push on.

You say "dirty, thuggish tackles going in on our boys by your players" an without knowing it and certainly without meaning it in the same way you're spot on. It WAS boys v players and they will be dirty and thuggish but that's exactly how the CCC is to newcomers. I can tell you now that if you get that worked up about yesterdays game you will be apaplectic before long. Donnie have always tried to play good football, Sean O'Driscoll doesn't send out particularly dirty or cheaty teams........FAR FAR worse is to come out there.........and they won't all be crippled by injuries and down to 10 men in the dying minutes either.

Albion need to learn how to get kicked and stay on their feet or learn how to make a more convincing appeal to the referee. It sucks, I know, it's not how the game should be played. But unless you want to roll over and get steamrollered every week you're going to have to learn. I know you won, i'm delighted you won but it calls to mind the win we had early on against Sunderland. It was pure adrenilin that got us through, pure occasion, but the dirtyness of their centrebacks, the size of their forwards and the manner of their physicality was shocking. Worse did come, adrenilin and occasion did wear off and while we bumbled through to survive, big changes followed and our team beefed up and wised up.

You WILL learn, trust me. Principles of good football WILL be harder to cling to.

That aside, really chuffed for the club to be back in it's own ground, I really like the fact you've gone back to the old simple badge, the one familiar to me from my years in the North Stand. Now, good luck for the season ahead but if you don't mind, can the rest of the football league have football focus and the football league show back now please? :p.

Last edited:

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Not how the experts on the Football League saw it though.

What experts?
I only saw Manish and Claridge.

If I can inject a neutral perspective here please. I did give this advice on your promotion, you'd do well to heed it. You might not like it but it's a solid gold fact about your new life in the CCC, we went through the same thing when we came up and the CCC hasn't changed a bit.
It's changed more than you think, it's name for a start.

thoreveraviking

Jul 29, 2011
Republic of Yorkshire
Southampton had 25,000 in attendance and st marys can hold 31,000? Guess were not the ones with eyes bigger than our bellys dickhead? P.s Brighton sold every ticket they could in the home stands. Donny let us down!

Donny never let you down fella, your TO did and royally! Many of our mates just simply gave up on the idea with only 3/4 days left to make arrangements and that my friend is a FACT. I don't know what happened but there are a good few angry folk at this end with train tickets and coach deposits that have gone down the drain.
Because of the problems on the M25 it took between 7/8 hours to get to you then we got 'dicked about' in your coach park.
The coach park and the unnecessary hanging about trying to get parked (15 mins.) meant that many were thoroughly pissed off before they even got to the stadium.

Btw that coach park is a potential 'flash point' that your club needs to be aware of!!

Finally great new stadium, great master of ceremonies who did you proud and a very strange game. Fookin shattered today though but despite the problems an enjoyable day except the result. I'm sure that in the clear light of day, the bond will still exist between our 2 sets of supporters........at least I hope so. I will be watching out for your results.

mreprice

Sep 12, 2010
Sydney, Australia

The CCC is more skilful, you get punished for your mistakes more, you rue your missed chances more, the difference between winning and losing is a finer line. However the greatest difference is the 'physicality' and 'gamesmanship' of the opposition. In the first couple of months we were gobsmacked at how dirty and cheaty the opposition were and how much bigger, faster and stronger they were than us coming out of league 1.

I have watched the highlights of your game yesterday now and I fear Poyet hasn't recognised that problem. You've made some excellent signings but you've not signed any 'man mountains' and you've not signed any 'dirty cheating wotsits'. We managed without any for a short while on the bubble of our promotion but ultimately you have to fight fire with fire. It wasn't until we signed big players, it wasn't until we signed dirty players that we could hold our own.

I was delighted with your win yesterday, it was an Argyle fan that gave you the idea to spark your resistence and as an Argyle fan going through the same sort of mill now who's followed your 14 year journey closely it was a fairytale. So i'm not coming at this with hostility but genuine goodwill and a desire to see you push on.

Poyet will spend the entire season in the stands though if he kicks out at every injustice - because players push, pull, kick, dive, spit, snarl, cheat against you. He needs to change the physicality and naivety I can see in your set-up to really push on.

You say "dirty, thuggish tackles going in on our boys by your players" an without knowing it and certainly without meaning it in the same way you're spot on. It WAS boys v players and they will be dirty and thuggish but that's exactly how the CCC is to newcomers. I can tell you now that if you get that worked up about yesterdays game you will be apaplectic before long. Donnie have always tried to play good football, Sean O'Driscoll doesn't send out particularly dirty or cheaty teams........FAR FAR worse is to come out there.........and they won't all be crippled by injuries and down to 10 men in the dying minutes either.

Albion need to learn how to get kicked and stay on their feet or learn how to make a more convincing appeal to the referee. It sucks, I know, it's not how the game should be played. But unless you want to roll over and get steamrollered every week you're going to have to learn. I know you won, i'm delighted you won but it calls to mind the win we had early on against Sunderland. It was pure adrenilin that got us through, pure occasion, but the dirtyness of their centrebacks, the size of their forwards and the manner of their physicality was shocking. Worse did come, adrenilin and occasion did wear off and while we bumbled through to survive, big changes followed and our team beefed up and wised up.

You WILL learn, trust me. Principles of good football WILL be harder to cling to.

That aside, really chuffed for the club to be back in it's own ground, I really like the fact you've gone back to the old simple badge, the one familiar to me from my years in the North Stand. Now, good luck for the season ahead but if you don't mind, can the rest of the football league have football focus and the football league show back now please? :p.

Great post - thanks for taking the time to do it.

Lets face it, we were completely overrun in the first half by a team that was nearly relegated last season and missing seven first team regulars. This is going to be a very tough season if we can't make a couple of signings.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Btw that coach park is a potential 'flash point' that your club needs to be aware of!!

It will only be a "flash point" if arseholes want to make it one.
Try f***ing behaving.

Edgefield

Edgefield
Jul 20, 2008
London
Nonsense it was a booking no more. There was one appalling tackle in game and it came on Barnes from naylor and if he hadnt seen it coming that would have been a Sharp like injury and a sending off.

X Isle

Mar 6, 2011
Worthing
It's changed more than you think, it's name for a start.

Oh, so sorry, do forgive me if the asthetics of correct nomenclature were somewhat lacking.

We've been somewhat preoccupied you see. What with twin relegations, transfer embargos, administration, points deductions, the sale of all our players, the non-payment of our staff or remaining players for 8 months, the prospect of our ground being sold to a property developer (sound familiar?) and the prospect of being saddled with Peter Ridsdale as our (self styled) 'saviour' I failed to keep up with a name. So sorry.

While you eat at the ritz, could you please remember where YOU came from not so long ago and be a smidge less patronising and dismissive?. Because I didn't keep up with championship naming rights presumably the point I was making is null and void?. Well it isn't, it's spot on. You might wish to shoot the messanger but i'm trying to help you and you'd do well to read and digest and getused to the problems you are going to face.

A crash WILL come after the party. It might take a month, heck you might still be riding the bubble come Christmas but with the type of signings made and the naivity of your play and reaction to "the big bad northerners".......a hangover WILL kick in.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here