Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gus thinking ahead to next season.

Willy Dangle

Aug 31, 2011
I agree with you Goodfella. The progress and overall standard of the DS compared to everything that has ever preceeded it looks really promising and we are clearly building from the bottom and building the right way with talented footballers ready to come through and fill the gaps when needed. We may unearth the odd gem but what it does do is leave more cash for the few big buys who might make the difference between promotion or not. Even in the glory days of the late 70's and early 80's I didn't feel this positive that the club is developing the foundations for long term sustainable success. I'm not too worried that it doesn't come this year or next or even for a few years tocome - we have a platform that I'm certain will ensure we never slip back below our current level and gives us every prospect of continuing to move upwards. Happy days :D

On the same page. Some people set expectation too high too soon.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
I'm not the sort to go and find quotes, but [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] pretty much said he did in a thread a while back?

I think you need to in this case. As you are saying that sBozza said Poyet applied for the Southampton job eight months into his regin he, when Poyet clearly stated that he would not apply for another job while Brighton manager, I think you need to back that up, or risk getting kicked off here.

D

Deleted member 18477

gus will ALWAYS be looking into the future. it's how the big teams roll. its how fergie has produced champion after champion in the long run!

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
I think you need to in this case. As you are saying that sBozza said Poyet applied for the Southampton job eight months into his regin he, when Poyet clearly stated that he would not apply for another job while Brighton manager, I think you need to back that up, or risk getting kicked off here.

I can't remember the exact thread but I do agree with him that Bozza was suggesting it was true that Poyet was turned down by Southampton and that's why he's always held a grudge against them.

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
I agree with you Goodfella. The progress and overall standard of the DS compared to everything that has ever preceeded it looks really promising and we are clearly building from the bottom and building the right way with talented footballers ready to come through and fill the gaps when needed. We may unearth the odd gem but what it does do is leave more cash for the few big buys who might make the difference between promotion or not. Even in the glory days of the late 70's and early 80's I didn't feel this positive that the club is developing the foundations for long term sustainable success. I'm not too worried that it doesn't come this year or next or even for a few years tocome - we have a platform that I'm certain will ensure we never slip back below our current level and gives us every prospect of continuing to move upwards. Happy days :D

That is a good post and I agree, it seems that there is a much greater depth to the squad than I ever remember.

APACHE

LONGTIME DIEHARD
Feb 18, 2011
THE PROMISED LAND-SUSSEX
People seem to have forgotten where we were 2 yrs ago. Of course Gus is building for the future, we're still a club who have come from the bottom and are aiming for the stars, a step at a time. Jump too quickly and everything we need behind the sences won't be there and it could all fall apart.

fly high

Aug 25, 2011
in a house
That is a good post and I agree, it seems that there is a much greater depth to the squad than I ever remember.

This is what makes hopes for the future so bright. The DS learn the Gus way before they get into the 1st team. A lot of the great teams have been built that way, a strong base of home grown players, Liverpool of the past, Man. U. Only way smaller clubs can compete with the money bags. Doesn't always work, look at Middlesborough, had to either sell or really they weren't good enough.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
I can't remember the exact thread but I do agree with him that Bozza was suggesting it was true that Poyet was turned down by Southampton and that's why he's always held a grudge against them.

How exactly? If he is under contract with us, he cannot apply for another job without being in breach of that contract. The only way that would be possible is if the Albion had given Southampton permission, otherwise both Poyet and Southampton would be vunerable to legal action and action from the FA as well.

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
How exactly? If he is under contract with us, he cannot apply for another job without being in breach of that contract. The only way that would be possible is if the Albion had given Southampton permission, otherwise both Poyet and Southampton would be vunerable to legal action and action from the FA as well.

As I say, I can't remember the exact thread, so apologies if I am wrong. But there was a definite suggestion by some well respected people that Poyet had spoken to Southampton at some point

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
In fairness to hpps, the idea that Gus had SPOKEN to Saints at some point was mooted a while back, and Bozza DID make a comment that he HAD heard this. FWIR he was clear that he did not know this was a fact, and he absolutely did not claim that Gus had actually applied for the job.

JCL - the new kid in town

Aug 23, 2011
As I say, I can't remember the exact thread, so apologies if I am wrong. But there was a definite suggestion by some well respected people that Poyet had spoken to Southampton at some point

Because this place isn't full of conjecture and unsubstantiated rumours at all.......

Willy Dangle

Aug 31, 2011
Need to get this season sorted before thinking ahead, plenty of unfinished business here starting on the 31st

Another one missing the point. I believe and I think Gus believes this season is already sorted. You make a point of the 31st (Palace), to you it is the be all and end all but to Gus and those that think rationally it is an away game with 3 points there to be taken. Broaden your mind.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
In fairness to hpps, the idea that Gus had SPOKEN to Saints at some point was mooted a while back, and Bozza DID make a comment that he HAD heard this. FWIR he was clear that he did not know this was a fact, and he absolutely did not claim that Gus had actually applied for the job.

I did actually go and find the thread.

Gus said this morning Saints more important than Palace for him. - Page 2

I didn't read it particularly closely at the time. Continue to wish death upon me for it though guys :thumbsup:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I seem to remember reading that Gus applied for the Southampton job before joining us and was turned down not soon after joining us. I also think that he is man of principle and expects the same from his players so wouldnt apply for a job while under contract to us without being given permission first

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I think Gus is looking very closely at the development squad indeed and that is why the Wrexham game is big for some of the players involved.He wants quality throughout the club at all levels and I suspect he already knows which lads are going to be moved on this summer. Strangely things are clearer IMO for the first team squad.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here