Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Gus Poyet on Sky Sports News

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Gus and RDZ will never do bland.

You can't have outstanding charisma without breaking a few eggs along the way - and making a damn fine omelette in the process.
True. However I think fans place too much emphasis on this character trait. Charisma isn’t always necessary to create an amazing football style. Poyet managed us at the same level as Chris Hughton. The flair and charisma of CH’s team 2015-17 was on a different and much higher level to Poyet’s teams. No-one ever accused CH of being charismatic.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
True. However I think fans place too much emphasis on this character trait. Charisma isn’t always necessary to create an amazing football style. Poyet managed us at the same level as Chris Hughton. The flair and charisma of CH’s team 2015-17 was on a different and much higher level to Poyet’s teams. No-one ever accused CH of being charismatic.
Is being charismatic wrong? Why would anyone be accused of charisma?

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Love Gus, although it took me time to forgive him for his antics around the time of the infamous ‘live sacking’, I’d love to see him back in English football… although I have my doubts he’d get a top flight job… unless he stays with Greece and produces a miracle…

When he arrived as our coach, I literally couldn’t believe it… then came the game at Southampton and we didn’t really look back, well, until the Palace PO games… having recently re-watched the infamous post game interview - it’s nowhere near as bad as my emotional state led me to believe at the time… it’s a shame it all fell apart. Still, here we are I guess - all the better for our parting.

Who knows, Roberto goes and paves the way for a sensational Gusball comeback …. Surely not ? ? Lol

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Love Gus, although it took me time to forgive him for his antics around the time of the infamous ‘live sacking’, I’d love to see him back in English football… although I have my doubts he’d get a top flight job… unless he stays with Greece and produces a miracle…

When he arrived as our coach, I literally couldn’t believe it… then came the game at Southampton and we didn’t really look back, well, until the Palace PO games… having recently re-watched the infamous post game interview - it’s nowhere near as bad as my emotional state led me to believe at the time… it’s a shame it all fell apart. Still, here we are I guess - all the better for our parting.

Who knows, Roberto goes and paves the way for a sensational Gusball comeback …. Surely not ? ? Lol
Yep. And the thing with that infamous interview, is that he was quite clearly right! The way Bloom and Barber were running the club at that stage with David Burke and the dross we were buying from Europe at the time was never going to get us up. Poyet saw that and knew we needed to change the model and spend more if we wanted success soon, which we eventually did. We've now nailed that model and it's working wonders, but it took a long time to get there and a lot of lessons were learnt on the way. Something that the media never seem to understand with their "Brighton can do no wrong with their transfer strategy" narrative that we get now.

I'm very glad we did it the way we did, and how it has ended up now, but I also understand why at that point Gus wanted something different, because he could see what we needed for the quick success that he (and we!) wanted.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Yep. And the thing with that infamous interview, is that he was quite clearly right! The way Bloom and Barber were running the club at that stage with David Burke and the dross we were buying from Europe at the time was never going to get us up. Poyet saw that and knew we needed to change the model and spend more if we wanted success soon, which we eventually did. We've now nailed that model and it's working wonders, but it took a long time to get there and a lot of lessons were learnt on the way. Something that the media never seem to understand with their "Brighton can do no wrong with their transfer strategy" narrative that we get now.

I'm very glad we did it the way we did, and how it has ended up now, but I also understand why at that point Gus wanted something different, because he could see what we needed for the quick success that he (and we!) wanted.
True. Hyypia followed Oscar, who resigned after just one season, and then Chris Hughton accepted the job. David Burke was sacked immediately on Christmas Eve of all days.

Gus was great with the fans, and I thoroughly enjoyed three pre-season tours whilst he was in charge. Open training days in Portugal and Spain, talking to the fans, relaxed and happy.
On the way back from Walsall, the team coach stopped at the same services, Gus and Tanno spent ages talking to the fans there. An elongated celebration having won the division.

I know we're 'big time' now and some touts are taking advantage, but I feel for the kids who can't have their photos etc.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

Yeah, but Gus wasn’t paying the bills. If Tony didn’t want to spend more at that time that was up to him. If Gus didn’t like it he should have left with dignity earlier.

*not an anti Gus post.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Yeah, but Gus wasn’t paying the bills. If Tony didn’t want to spend more at that time that was up to him. If Gus didn’t like it he should have left with dignity earlier.

*not an anti Gus post.
Of course. But I can completely see why Gus thought the way he did. He should have had those conversations privately rather than in front of the Press, but that wasn't his way.

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
I've pretty much forgiven Gus. In retrospect, we played some great football under his reign considering the budget constraints he had at the time. He turned some average footballers into very good players.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here