Gus Poyet Interview- Post Match

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
Just seen the sky interview. Doesn't come across as bad as the quotes sem when written down- he's just being usual honest Gus. If he goes, I'll be sad, but not as sad as where we were when the goldstone was sold. And the reason why he would go would be because the club does not want to put itself in that position again.

Those quotes are from the interview he gave to our reporter.

The Brighton Buzz

Falmer here we come
Jan 31, 2008
We lost because Buckley and Lopez weren't at the races and we have a manager who seemed to learn nothing from the first game. Ulloa was isolated up front and didn't get a decent ball all evening. Orlandi, for all his skill has no pace and we would have done better starting with KLL. And, at the end of the day, we have a manager who cannot motivate a team to come from behind.

Spot on He bleated on about not having a target man. Plays him correctly when he got him and he scores goals. Suddenly, get in the play offs and lets play one up front better still drop ulloa into midfield and play no-one up front. When we beat palace at our place we played two wingers and gave him service. Why play the same at home as we did away and the same team. Holloway made changes during both games and it paid off. Gus did nothing and we lost. Only he thinks he is ready to manage in the prem and if he does and uses the same tactics with no plan B, don't expect him to last long. Don't get me wrong he has got us to where we are and we are all grateful, but I think he has hit the brick wall and we need someone who can change things when its needed. Also not doing himself any favours whilst pimping himself about he has taken his eye off the ball. From rumours inside the club he won't be here next season.:annoyed:

CP 0 3 BHA

Nov 28, 2003
Northants
I love having Gus as manager but he needs to be careful what he wishes for. Upping the ante on TB is not a smart move - if the quotes are correct I should think TB is unimpressed and in a game of poker there is only likely to be one winner.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
I reckon he'll be off as soon as a half-decent PL club comes calling now, but I think he'll just be trading one set of issues down here for another set elsewhere. Hey ho.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
You should be utterly ashamed of your stupidity.

THAT team isn't worthy of the stripes? Where have you been for the last 20 years? What do you expect?

You weren't missed while things were going well.

I do find it interesting that certain posters are crawling out of the woodwork after our loss tonight

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I think some people are being a bit dramatic. We all know what Poyet is like. From the text I have seen of the interview, it looks more like he is asking the board to show their intentions. Lets keep Bridcutt, try and keep Bridge and/or Upson. Keep Lopez. If we want to improve we need to be more competitive financially.

Lets see how it pans out but it will blow over. Only last week we were gushing over his speech at the players dinner

How things change eh...seems a few posters on here are positively revelling in the speculating on poyet departing

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I love having Gus as manager but he needs to be careful what he wishes for. Upping the ante on TB is not a smart move - if the quotes are correct I should think TB is unimpressed and in a game of poker there is only likely to be one winner.

Funny how the vast majority of posts about the manager start along the lines of 'I love Gus but...' :lol:

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
There aren't any Premier League jobs out there apart from Everton which Martinez will get, and he's unlikely to get a better Championship team than Brighton.
League One Wolves to come knocking again?
Surely he wouldn't be that stupid.

I can't see where he can go.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
There aren't any Premier League jobs out there apart from Everton which Martinez will get, and he's unlikely to get a better Championship team than Brighton.
League One Wolves to come knocking again?
Surely he wouldn't be that stupid.

I can't see where he can go.

Erm...news hot off the press Mancini has been sacked..so there is a vacancy there lol

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
Love Gus, have never doubted his judgement, and have been prepared to enjoy the ride while he learns his trade.

But tonight is NOT the night to start picking a fight with Tony Bloom, who has backed him to the hilt. Tonight is a night to look back on our best season for 30 years, to have a little humility in losing a game we should really have won, and to think about where we go from here.

I know some of this stuff gets lost in translation but I'm disappointed with Gus's apparent lack of dignity tonight. It comes across like it's Tony Bloom who lost the match. Sorry Gus, you need to control your ego a bit more and if you think you're too big for us now, all the best in your next appointment.

1 million per cent this. He lost his Albion Mojo this evening.
Time to move along in my opinion.
Gus, you changed the Albion landscape, but, time for a new beginning me thinks

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Just seen the sky interview. Doesn't come across as bad as the quotes sem when written down- he's just being usual honest Gus. If he goes, I'll be sad, but not as sad as where we were when the goldstone was sold. And the reason why he would go would be because the club does not want to put itself in that position again.

Yep I haven't seen the Sky interview yet, but the written quotes always get interpreted differently from the live interview. People have a knack of inventing their own tone to the written word.

Exiled in Exeter

Jul 16, 2003
W3D
Wasn’t he going to walk years back when there was some booing during the home 0-0 draw with Woking in the Cup?

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
Yep I haven't seen the Sky interview yet, but the written quotes always get interpreted differently from the live interview. People have a knack of inventing their own tone to the written word.

For the second time. THEY ARE TAKEN FROM SEAGULLS WORLD INTERVIEW.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
His ego could be his downfall. The only thing I hope is that whatever happens, happens soon and we can all move on.

Breesy1

Mar 14, 2013
London/Hove
Can't bring myself to watch any videos or read anything on it yet. But we always knew it was probably likely. For all Gus' pitfalls, which we can all highlight easily, he's done a decent job for us. For me, he got beaten by a manager with experience and our players didn't stand up and be counted when needed. With the exception of a few, we completely lacked any bite.

I'm gutted but I think I'm gutted cos it's palace. I said months ago that another year or even two in this great division can do us good. I just worry about who follows gus out the door.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
In the wake of an almighty disappointment, one that probably the most of us didn't predict after the hardy work carried out on Friday, there'll be a number of matters on his mind and i image it must be tough to edit down the thoughts attached to the ones that scream most loudly in his dismayed mind. Hopefully he'll settle after a little rest and quiet calculation and see what we are and what we can be rather than rush to the top at the first possible chance without putting the labour in. It has to be at the moment just little cries of distress from a man bludgeoned by the night just passed and the myriad of moments and instances that could have been so different.
No need to dig too deep though. It's been a fantabulous season beyond many of our wildest dreams, and i hope he remembers soonly how excellent it was so often.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports