Gus Poyet - Brian Viner Interview in today's Independent

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Good interview.Looks like we have five years to get to the prem or Gus is off. A very interesting interview.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
That is a brilliant piece and gives a good insight into the man.

I think his explanation about Evra affair exonarates him from allegations of racism or managerial naivity. certainly in my mind and actually has made me think differently about the whole issue.

But what I really enjoyed was his brief view on our young footballers and how 'we' praise unskilled technique, kicking the ball out, smashing it down the field etc and how we are suspicious of the difficult and skilled technique, of touch and pass etc.

Anyone who watches youth football must recognise this !!

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
What a surprise. A proper writer taking the time to allow Poyet to explain himself properly. Talksport interviews are always gash as they take advantage of a limited time frame and relatively poor command of the interviewee's non-mother tongue to create an argument that isn't there.

The only thing that was remotely contentious was that Poyet said the English should adapt to foreigners and their attitudes. He's wrong there IMO. But he's no racist, and by all accounts neither is Suarez.

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
What a surprise. A proper writer taking the time to allow Poyet to explain himself properly. Talksport interviews are always gash as they take advantage of a limited time frame and relatively poor command of the interviewee's non-mother tongue to create an argument that isn't there.

The only thing that was remotely contentious was that Poyet said the English should adapt to foreigners and their attitudes. He's wrong there IMO. But he's no racist, and by all accounts neither is Suarez.

1 trillion percent this. Unfortunately this won't get the same press and therefore there will be countless United supporting GOONS and faux outraged liberals who will still think he is the devil incarnate

Monsieur Le Plonk

Lethargy in motion
Apr 22, 2009
By a lake
"It was madness," he says. "An Italian talking to a Uruguayan in Spanish about English football, and playing, then translating, or not being picked, getting angry and upset, but still translating. A crazy time."

Love it.

Lush

Mods' Pet

He said the opposite surely?: "We need to adapt. Do we as foreigners need to adapt more to England than England to us? Yes, of course. That's common sense."

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I took the 'we need to adapt' as being more about us understanding certain things that are offensive to us aren't necessarily offensive to foreigners, and we should adapt by instead of automatically condemning someone, we need to change and realise they have come from different culture and we need to try to react with a bit more understanding and attempt to educate and include rather than just condemn and isolate.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
He said the opposite surely?: "We need to adapt. Do we as foreigners need to adapt more to England than England to us? Yes, of course. That's common sense."
Indeed. In the Independent interview, he said the precise opposite to his TalkSport radio interview!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Indeed. In the Independent interview, he said the precise opposite to his TalkSport radio interview!

As I understood the TalkSport interview, he said that Suarez had only been here a short time and didn't understand the English culture, whereas he, having been here 14 years, understood what was acceptable.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
As I understood the TalkSport interview, he said that Suarez had only been here a short time and didn't understand the English culture, whereas he, having been here 14 years, understood what was acceptable.
Absolutely. I can't remember exactly what happened, but he said exactly that - to which Keys asked him whether that meant English football should be the ones adapting or accommodating foreign players. He said yes, and the interviewer then asked "shouldn't it be the other way round?".

This is the problem with Talksport and their shit soundbite interviews. They were simply creating an argument that wasn't there.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
refreshingly good.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports