Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gus Poyet appreciation Thread

Reinelt12

Sick Note
Nov 8, 2006
Lichfield, United Kingdom
I won't say that Gus is great, but Mr Burns, to say "he might come good" is just ridiculous... he has taken us from the bottom of League One to a team that is hard to beat in the Championship and don't concede many goals (In fact less than anyone else in the whole football league). The team we are modelling ourselves on are Swansea, and that is EXACTLY what they did when they got promoted to the Championship from Lge 1...

2007/08 - Won League 1
2008/09 - 8th Championship
2009/10 - 7th Championship
2010/11 - 3rd Championship (Won Playoffs)
2011/12 - 11th Premier League

In that time, they had 3 managers all of whom left of their own wishes - Martinez (Wigan), Souza (Leicester) and Rodgers (Liverpool) - do you think their fans started to question if any of those managers were doing a good job? Were they getting impatient because they only got top half of the Championship after being promoted the previous year as Champions? (And then the following year they didnt get in the playoffs either?)

Oh and they spent the same sort of money as Poyet too...

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
I won't say that Gus is great, but Mr Burns, to say "he might come good" is just ridiculous... he has taken us from the bottom of League One to a team that is hard to beat in the Championship and don't concede many goals (In fact less than anyone else in the whole football league). The team we are modelling ourselves on are Swansea, and that is EXACTLY what they did when they got promoted to the Championship from Lge 1...

2007/08 - Won League 1
2008/09 - 8th Championship
2009/10 - 7th Championship
2010/11 - 3rd Championship (Won Playoffs)
2011/12 - 11th Premier League

In that time, they had 3 managers all of whom left of their own wishes - Martinez (Wigan), Souza (Leicester) and Rodgers (Liverpool) - do you think their fans started to question if any of those managers were doing a good job? Were they getting impatient because they only got top half of the Championship after being promoted the previous year as Champions? (And then the following year they didnt get in the playoffs either?)

Oh and they spent the same sort of money as Poyet too...

Well said mate. But complete tits on here won't be able to see that or apply any sort of logic to their crap posts

4-p

Sep 3, 2011
Shoreham
The players just need to gell better and believe in the Football Gus wants them to play, then they'll understand it and deliver. We've done it on and off, we've got better players now, it's only a matter of time, but they'll do it on purpose and it'll stick and we'll be gravy!
Thanks to Gus!

Reinelt12

Sick Note
Nov 8, 2006
Lichfield, United Kingdom
Well said mate. But complete tits on here won't be able to see that or apply any sort of logic to their crap posts

We are establishing ourselves as a Championship Club, something we have not been able to do for 20 years previously, these things take time... yes Saints/Norwich catapulted up 2 divisions at once, but this doesnt happen very often, and neither are looking particularly good at the moment.

Whereas teams who have spent longer in the Champ and then gone up, are now regarded as mainstays of the Premier League - such as West Brom and Stoke.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
The reaction to Vicente hitting the bar :bowdown:

reading.gif

As brilliant as that reaction is, it CAN'T be for the run and shot against Derby. Wrong end for Gus to be facing.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
As brilliant as that reaction is, it CAN'T be for the run and shot against Derby. Wrong end for Gus to be facing.

didn't he hit the bar against Reading too? Close range.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
We are establishing ourselves as a Championship Club, something we have not been able to do for 20 years previously, these things take time... yes Saints/Norwich catapulted up 2 divisions at once, but this doesnt happen very often, and neither are looking particularly good at the moment.

Whereas teams who have spent longer in the Champ and then gone up, are now regarded as mainstays of the Premier League - such as West Brom and Stoke.

Exactly this.

I love Gus.

OSRGull

Jan 20, 2011
N1A
We wouldn't have won league one without slade and knight.

Murray and Bennett :thumbsup:

Goring-by-Seagull

Jan 5, 2012

True dat. Anyone who was there could spot that a mile off! I remember it well, I was in the 2nd row of WSL, and watching the man himself flash past leaving several Derby players in knots and unleash that beast of a shot will burn forever in my memory.

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
In Gus I trust, corny but so true. IMHO, bar Mullery not only the most entertaining and quoteable mamnager we've had but also the one who'll go on to greatest thuings methinks. And let's not forget appreciating The Lizard for getting hom on board, I still think trhat was the best deal any Albion chairman has ever done.

donnygull

Aug 22, 2009
Doncaster,S. Yorks
Indeed, he is building something special, and if it takes 2 or 3 seasons to achieve Prem status is that such a bad thing ? My biggest fear is that he leaves before the job is done, cos there is no one else out there at the moment that I would want.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Indeed, he is building something special, and if it takes 2 or 3 seasons to achieve Prem status is that such a bad thing ? My biggest fear is that he leaves before the job is done, cos there is no one else out there at the moment that I would want.

If Gus went,I feel sure that Tony Bloom and the board would have little difficulty in attracting a high calibre successor, as the club must now be regarded as an up and coming outfit with plenty of ambition and the infrastructure, more or less in place, to make it all happen.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here