Gus after Ulloa?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Accident, subsequently edited. NSC doesn't seem to turn off the multi-quote function after a post.

Yes, I've noticed that problem. One for Bozza, I guess?

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Where is the quote in that article?

It was a reference to the time of the Mirror story to show it wasn't isolated.

You don't know what Gus has or has not said, so don't make out that you know what he hasn't said because he says a lot of things.

I don't need to hang off a direct quote but if a report says "Brighton striker Ulloa is a target for old boss Poyet" or "New manager Poyet is keen to raid his former club Brighton for Scotland defensive midfielder Liam Bridcutt and striker Leonardo Ulloa" I have got no reason to disbelieve it any more than you have to believe it.

There is no right or wrong here buddy, but if you are adamant that Poyet isn’t interested in Ulloa that's fine by me.

Personally I feel it's convenient for us to cash in some big money so I haven’t got a problem if he puts in a bid or not. It doesn’t mean that he would be off this window but I wouldn’t rule out a summer move if the price is right.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

You don't know what Gus has or has not said, so don't make out that you know what he hasn't said because he says a lot of things.

I don't need to hang off a direct quote but if a report says "Brighton striker Ulloa is a target for old boss Poyet" or "New manager Poyet is keen to raid his former club Brighton for Scotland defensive midfielder Liam Bridcutt and striker Leonardo Ulloa" I have got no reason to disbelieve it any more than you have to believe it.

There is no right or wrong here buddy, but if you are adamant that Poyet isn’t interested in Ulloa that's fine by me.

Personally I feel it's convenient for us to cash in some big money so I haven’t got a problem if he puts in a bid or not. It doesn’t mean that he would be off this window but I wouldn’t rule out a summer move if the price is right.

I've never said that Poyet isn't interested in Ulloa. He obviously rates him or he wouldn't have spent 18 months trying to get him playing for Brighton, flying over to watch him play.
What you shouldn't do is believe idle press speculation. The press use hypothetical situations to base an article on.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004

So you believe any headline you read until proven otherwise?

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I am only passing on what I saw last year, I think it came up in other stories, may have even been one in the Argus.

In the story written it said "New manager Poyet is keen to raid his former club Brighton for Scotland defensive midfielder Liam Bridcutt and striker Leonardo Ulloa - two of his most trusted stars."

Is it that unbelievable that he would like to sign Ulloa?

Symjym. I like what you say on this board. I'm currently trawling through this thread, and am nearly two hours behind the various debates that it's throwing up. But you're in a hole, and it'd be best to stop digging. All the other posters that are responding to this are asking you for a direct quotation on this issue, RATHER THAN journalistic speculation.
You finish this post by posing the question: 'Is it that unbelievable that he would like to sign Ulloa?'
The answer to that question is no, but that's something entirely different from whether Gus has explicitly said that he wants to sign Ulloa. It is also something entirely different from whether Gus will end up signing Ulloa (and he hasn't succeeded in the first three-quarters of this transfer window).

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
BUGGER I was expecting that to be a statement made today :down:

I don't need a statement to be made today because, as yet, there's nothing to base any fear on. This means that at present I don't think Ulloa will be sold to Sunderland, or anywhere else, in this transfer window. This is not to say that he won't.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I didn't read the whole thread, but for those who have immediately panicked ... don't you think it's just an easy route for any journalist to look at club A, club As manager, then look at his previous club, and take a stab in the dark at "transfer targets"?

Who needs quotes, or indeed an interview with anyone at Gus. I think we all pretty much wrote the story of Gus coming in for some or all of Liam, Buckley and Ulloa from the moment he went to a struggling Premiership side. This was always such an easy story to write, that it wrote itself. Doesn't mean it's even vaguely true.

Yes he chased Ulloa for 18 mths with us, so presumably he rates him. But maybe he rates him as a Championship striker, within the budget he had with us. That doesn't mean he thinks he's the best striker he can get with the funds that Sunderland are prepared to throw at Premiership survival.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

What are we going to do with this cash then? Surely only point cashing in if you can get a better striker for that money, which I doubt that we can.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Irrespective of what the media are saying I can see it could make sense for Gus to go after Ulloa rather than Buckley. Now Adam Johnson is in good form I feel Gus needs a target man like Ulloa to score goals and win them games. Fletcher is first choice but injury prone, Altidore isn't scoring and I think Borini is on loan and has stated his future lies elsewhere.

Plus Gus will already know that Buckley is talented but fragile and would be a big risk to pin their Prem survival on him, especially when we haven't seen the best out of him this season. Maybe Gus is happy with that and a cheeky offer might get him.

I don't want to see Ulloa go (nor Buckley and Bridcutt) but it would be hard to turn down decent offers for them. My only concern is whether there would then be enough time left in the transfer window for us to find proper quality replacements, otherwise it would write this season off.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I don't need a statement to be made today because, as yet, there's nothing to base any fear on. This means that at present I don't think Ulloa will be sold to Sunderland, or anywhere else, in this transfer window. This is not to say that he won't.

I have this image of you as JJ Cale type sitting in a rocking chair on the verandah of a ramshackle but quaint wooden house, picking a guitar and chilling out regardless of what is going on.

rockingchair460.jpg

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Symjym. I like what you say on this board. I'm currently trawling through this thread, and am nearly two hours behind the various debates that it's throwing up. But you're in a hole, and it'd be best to stop digging. All the other posters that are responding to this are asking you for a direct quotation on this issue, RATHER THAN journalistic speculation.
You finish this post by posing the question: 'Is it that unbelievable that he would like to sign Ulloa?'
The answer to that question is no, but that's something entirely different from whether Gus has explicitly said that he wants to sign Ulloa. It is also something entirely different from whether Gus will end up signing Ulloa (and he hasn't succeeded in the first three-quarters of this transfer window).

They are just arguing for the sake of it. My orignal post was remembering a Ulloa story from four months ago and I said "He did say he wanted him when he joined Sunderland"

Maybe if I had said "I remember a story written four months ago that the journalist implied that Gus wanted him" they wouldn't have felt the urge to jump on my back.

Either way the story is there for people to read, I've provided links, but if some want to hang off my wording for the rest of the day that is fine by me, but also childish.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
That report looks like pure fabrication. Nothing at all in to suggest any inside knowledge. In fact, quite the opposite. The suggestion that our board would be favourable towards Poyet because of the promotion from League One is laughable given the way things ended.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
bluntly put
I would like .......no love to win the lottery would'nt we all ..........but will it happen who knows certainly not me
do any of you know if I am going to win the lottery
the answer is no
do you know if Leo is going anywhere
the answer is no
story from a very bored no mark Journo

wonder if he knows if I am going to win anything ???????????

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports