Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gus after Ulloa?

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Nobody is saying that the club were wrong to sack him.

TLO - do you agree that the club were right to sack Gus?
Itszamora - how about you?
Glasfryn - your thoughts?

Genuinely interested to hear.

The Camel

Nov 1, 2010
Darlington, UK
A 12 page thread caused by a PR man from a bookmaker fishing for business with not one quote or grain of truth.

Looks like he's caught a few: hook, line and sinker!

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London

I have no information - Gus clearly felt it wasn't, the club obviously felt they were justified but have said nothing beyond "gross misconduct." They also exonerated Tanno, and I don't believe anything was ever held either way regarding Charlie Oatway.

Therefore, I can't possibly say it was right or wrong to sack him. It looks strange as clearly in footballing terms (despite what some hilarious revisionists on here seem to have convinced themselves of) he was highly successful and was involved in all aspects of the club, not purely the first team. I did not enjoy his comments immediately post-Palace, I think they were badly timed, but possibly had a ring of truth to them given our performance that season and looming FFP regulations. It really was a great chance to go up and we (as a club, including the players, not just Gus) didn't take it. However, those comments alone can't possibly justify "gross misconduct," so I must assume there was more. Unlike others, I don't really have a problem with his poogate email, if indeed it was genuine. He was rightly furious over the incident, and I thought he put that across in very well-measured terms.

What I will say is that I feel, regardless of the rights or wrongs of the decision, which we'll probably never know, it was handled terribly by the club and made us look like a laughing stock to the casual observer.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne

if you let me know exactly why they sacked him I will let you know
so far all I have heard is hearsay mostly from you

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
I have no information - Gus clearly felt it wasn't, the club obviously felt they were justified but have said nothing beyond "gross misconduct." They also exonerated Tanno, and I don't believe anything was ever held either way regarding Charlie Oatway.

Therefore, I can't possibly say it was right or wrong to sack him. It looks strange as clearly in footballing terms (despite what some hilarious revisionists on here seem to have convinced themselves of) he was highly successful and was involved in all aspects of the club, not purely the first team. I did not enjoy his comments immediately post-Palace, I think they were badly timed, but possibly had a ring of truth to them given our performance that season and looming FFP regulations. It really was a great chance to go up and we (as a club, including the players, not just Gus) didn't take it. However, those comments alone can't possibly justify "gross misconduct," so I must assume there was more. Unlike others, I don't really have a problem with his poogate email, if indeed it was genuine. He was rightly furious over the incident, and I thought he put that across in very well-measured terms.

What I will say is that I feel, regardless of the rights or wrongs of the decision, which we'll probably never know, it was handled terribly by the club and made us look like a laughing stock to the casual observer.

exactly this

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
You're passing on what you thought you saw - i.e. Gus saying he was going to raid Brighton for two player. In truth, there isn't a quote to confirm that he said that.

The story is perfectly believable. It doesn't follow that it's necessarily true though.

I am sorry if I have offended you but can you stop the bullshit please. I clearly didn't dream up what I saw, but it's up to the individual to decide the interpretation and whether Gus said it, or the reporter got the impression of this intention.

If I made it up you would be right to argue, but you and Thunderbolt are just arguing the toss for the sake of having a pop at my post which had no malice in it.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I am sorry if I have offended you but can you stop the bullshit please. I clearly didn't dream up what I saw, but it's up to the individual to decide the interpretation and whether Gus said it, or the reporter got the impression of this intention.

If I made it up you would be right to argue, but you and Thunderbolt are just arguing the toss for the sake of having a pop at my post which had no malice in it.

No, we are pointing out that Gus didn't say it or else the journalist would have quoted him. It's exactly the same as the article the OP has posted about Gus is after Ulloa. It's speculation, not evidence.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I have an idea why Gus was sacked, it may of course be very wide of the mark.

Telling players you won't be here next season when you are still the manager but then letting some of them ( our best players) know that he'll be coming back for them once he had a Premier League job would be a pretty good reason to call it gross misconduct.

Just conjecture of course but I do not believe TB was so upset about the play off semi final that he decided to think up a random reason to sack Gus.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
No, we are pointing out that Gus didn't say it or else the journalist would have quoted him. It's exactly the same as the article the OP has posted about Gus is after Ulloa. It's speculation, not evidence.

Jesus Christ:

The Argus

Ulloa plays down Poyet talk

.........the popular Albion striker has played down fears that his former boss Gus Poyet might be the man to profit from his return to fitness.

http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/10735649.Ulloa_plays_down_Poyet_talk/

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne

Telling players you won't be here next season when you are still the manager but then letting some of them ( our best players) know that he'll be coming back for them once he had a Premier League job would be a pretty good reason to call it gross misconduct.

Just conjecture of course but I do not believe TB was so upset about the play off semi final that he decided to think up a random reason to sack Gus.

so .................................you don't know then

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

Thank you. That seems a reasonable stance, given what info is in the public domain, although I disagree with some of what you say, e.g. the club seen as laughing stock. Maybe, by some, but then some saw Gus in a bad light too.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
so .................................you don't know then

Nope but not knowing doesn't mean that I'll continue to back Gus to the hilt until I do. I sift what I saw with my own eyes from Gus' demeanour during and after the play off semi final and from what I deduce from what happened afterwards to decide that getting rid of him was the only option. Hey, maybe Gus is the innocent party here and TB is an A1 control freak ******* but I don't think so. Not knowing exactly what happened is not enough for me to stay on the Gus Bus until I do, I'll leave you relaxing in the back seats though :shrug:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

Great to hear someone on here who doesn't think TB and the board just made up the grounds for a gross misconduct charge. Let's be honest, that would be a ridiculous and stupid thing to do, and Tony is no mug.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Nope but not knowing doesn't mean that I'll continue to back Gus to the hilt until I do. I sift what I saw with my own eyes from Gus' demeanour during and after the play off semi final and from what I deduce from what happened afterwards to decide that getting rid of him was the only option. Hey, maybe Gus is the innocent party here and TB is an A1 control freak ******* but I don't think so. Not knowing exactly what happened is not enough for me to stay on the Gus Bus until I do, I'll leave you relaxing in the back seats though :shrug:

I know nothing :shrug: but will always fight for some fairness in the fiasco that it was
I have said it before and will say it again
I don't TRUST any of them ..................the truth is there somewhere but I doubt we will ever find it

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here