Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gus after Ulloa?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
9th October 2013

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/new-sunderland-manager-gus-poyet-2354754#.UuEV7ftFArg

He made no secret of it and I thought this was commmon knowledge.

He said: "I've got no worries about the structure when everyone works for the same aim and the good of the club.

"I need Roberto, and I need Roberto to do well for me because the better Roberto does, the better players I get.

"Will he buy the players? I think it's a relationship. You have to explain to him exactly what you want and for him to [then] look for them. I cannot do this job.

"The big players I see every weekend, but to find others - well, someone [else] needs to do it. This is our recruitment system.

"We will sit down, discuss the qualities of the players, and then the club needs to make the decision on the financials. Then you come to a conclusion.

"I think that's fair and I'm happy with it. I've got no issues with it whatsoever."

He added: "To change now from one day to the next and try something totally new would be crazy. To stop losing games, we need to stop conceding goals and score a few. That's common sense.

"Right now, we're conceding too many - three, three, three, three, two. It's too many.

"If you concede that many goals per game in the Premier League, you're going to have little chance of winning games.

"It's something we need to address defensively in terms of organisation, decisions, picking the right team and putting the right players in the right positions.

"Then slowly, you can start building the way we want to play.

"It's up to me to make sure the players embrace this philosophy and way of training, living football, playing football and winning games."

That is his actual quotes. The rest is the journalist putting 2 + 2 together

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Absolutely.

You're a traitor if you don't.

Not a traitor, but you and your fellow Gus fans should try supporting the club rather than Gus (at least occasionally).

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Liking Gus Poyet as a manager is not mutually exclusive to showing faith in Tony & the board. People make mistakes and mistakes were made on both sides.

Fine. But the biggest one was made by Gus.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Not a traitor, but you and your fellow Gus fans should try supporting the club rather than Gus (at least occasionally).

Have you got any proof that we don't support the club? I don't support Gus or Sunderland but get fed up with history being rewritten (such as a post on this thread which stated that Slade left a high platform for Gus to build on!!)

I don't have to justify my support for the club to you or anyone else, and take exception when you challenge that to try and prove a point on an internet forum.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
its all about that blasted word again
TRUST
but then BW knows what happened and thinks its OK to damn our Ex-manager at every turn ............what he does not realise is we don't know what happened ..........so personally I will not be doing the damning bit until I know what happened , its called being fair.

Fair enough Glasfryn.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

Just who do you think you are that you can tell me how to support the club?

First you call me a traitor for questioning the club, then you arrogantly tell me to support the club, because I am sorting out the bullshit and hysteria from the facts regarding our previous manager.

I don't recall asking how my support for the Albion should be shown, nor is it any of your business.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
He said: "I've got no worries about the structure when everyone works for the same aim and the good of the club.

"I need Roberto, and I need Roberto to do well for me because the better Roberto does, the better players I get.

"Will he buy the players? I think it's a relationship. You have to explain to him exactly what you want and for him to [then] look for them. I cannot do this job.

"The big players I see every weekend, but to find others - well, someone [else] needs to do it. This is our recruitment system.

"We will sit down, discuss the qualities of the players, and then the club needs to make the decision on the financials. Then you come to a conclusion.

"I think that's fair and I'm happy with it. I've got no issues with it whatsoever."

He added: "To change now from one day to the next and try something totally new would be crazy. To stop losing games, we need to stop conceding goals and score a few. That's common sense.

"Right now, we're conceding too many - three, three, three, three, two. It's too many.

"If you concede that many goals per game in the Premier League, you're going to have little chance of winning games.

"It's something we need to address defensively in terms of organisation, decisions, picking the right team and putting the right players in the right positions.

"Then slowly, you can start building the way we want to play.

"It's up to me to make sure the players embrace this philosophy and way of training, living football, playing football and winning games."

That is his actual quotes. The rest is the journalist putting 2 + 2 together

You missed out;

New manager Poyet is keen to raid his former club Brighton for Scotland defensive midfielder Liam Bridcutt and striker Leonardo Ulloa - two of his most trusted stars.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
You missed out;

New manager Poyet is keen to raid his former club Brighton for Scotland defensive midfielder Liam Bridcutt and striker Leonardo Ulloa - two of his most trusted stars.

... which is the Mirror's comment, NOT Gus' comment.

So... where is the quote that is directly attributable to Gus that he made when he joined Sunderland about signing Bridcutt?

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Just who do you think you are that you can tell me how to support the club?

First you call me a traitor for questioning the club, then you arrogantly tell me to support the club, because I am sorting out the bullshit and hysteria from the facts regarding our previous manager.

I don't recall asking how my support for the Albion should be shown, nor is it any of your business.

Dear TLO - do calm down. You like dealing it out, but can't take it. Oh, and I didn't say traitor. In fact, I actually pointed out that was too strong. Please read more carefully.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
You missed out;

Not Poyet's quote but the journalist, which is what others have pointed out. It's a common trick in the newspaper industry.

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
You missed out;

But that's not Gus talking, that's the journalist saying something with no quotes to back it up.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Did you object to Greer, & Ankergren ?

You seem to think I have an objection to managers signing players from previous clubs ? This is not the case.

Three basic questions.
Does he rate the players - Yes to all three, I suspect.
Are they better than what he has and will they significantly improve the team ? - Debatable
Are they available at a price that fits his budget ? - Unlikely I think.

Two signings from previous clubs, one of which was a free agent, does not really sway things for me.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
That doesn't really work, because I'm not the one making ridiculous assertions that not believing that Gus Poyet is the devil incarnate means that I and others do not support Brighton & Hove Albion FC.

Again, I have not made that assertion. All I said was show a little more faith in the club. You are just twisting what I said. You're not the first.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here