Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gus after Ulloa?

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Well that pretty much goes without saying.

The point I am making is that Gus was prepared to hang on for 18 months before finally landing Ulloa, and for a very substantial chunk of his playing budget. That is an illustration of just how highly he rates him, and therefore makes it that bit more likely that he could well come in for him again now.

Its all still conjecture of course, and theres absolutely nothing in the article that started this thread to say its going to happen. It just wouldn't be very surprising if it did.

You make this football management lark sound very easy. The situation with Brighton last season, was that they were missing an obvious target man/hold up player. Ulloa fitted the bill and the budget. Whilst it is fair to say, Gus is not one to change his style of play, he has inherited a completely different set of players, in different circumstances and with a different budget. Yes he knows all about Ulloa and indeed most of the rest of our players, but if the answer to his current situation is three players from his former club, then he is less of a manager than I think he is.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
He did say he wanted him when he joined Sunderland so this wouldn't surprise me, and in truth and as long as we get good money the sooner we can completely cut these ties with Poyet the better.

Must be really pleasing for the NSC Poyet fan club.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Point me to the post where I made a comment about Gus commenting on Liam's transfer request.

You said:

"A poster said earlier that Gus has been shooting his mouth off to the press.

On the potential acquisition of Brighton players, he has said nothing publicly. In fact, he was quoted as saying 'I'm saying nothing.'" You are WRONG.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
You make this football management lark sound very easy. The situation with Brighton last season, was that they were missing an obvious target man/hold up player. Ulloa fitted the bill and the budget. Whilst it is fair to say, Gus is not one to change his style of play, he has inherited a completely different set of players, in different circumstances and with a different budget. Yes he knows all about Ulloa and indeed most of the rest of our players, but if the answer to his current situation is three players from his former club, then he is less of a manager than I think he is.

Did you object to Greer, & Ankergren ?

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Is Liam not capable of making his own mind up? I pointed out last night that 5 of our old players were tweeting their pleasure at seeing Sunderland do well. Poyet does instil loyalty to his players and staff. Both Charlie & Tanno chose to leave Brighton to stay with him, Poyet brought in several of his old players from Swindon & Leeds to us.

As pointed out, lots of Nsc posters have been wanting Oscar to bring in players from Barcelona and Tel Aviv. Would that make Oscar a selfish manager?

So you honestly believe that Gus had no communication with Liam on his transfer request? Naive.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
OK I'll bite. I still like Gus, and find myself supporting Sunderland in most games this season:

- the team's performance and selection at home Vs Palace - We didn't play that badly & the team selection was perfectly reasonable. Barnes hit the bar & had one off the line before Zaha scored. What about the other performances over the past 3.5 years? Are they forgotten?
- followed by a sacking due for gross misconduct - Of which we know very little about, so we can discount that.
- then refusing to walk away and claiming that he was unfairly dismissed - Well I certainly would have questioned it if £3m was at stake. What do you expect??
- then going onto national TV and claiming that he had not been informed that he had been sacked for gross misconduct, when he knew full well that he had been and so resulted in the club's name and reputation being bought into question - He knew it was coming, but he hadn't been told. He was also put on the spot by the BBC. Silly episode on both sides
- and then threatening legal action against the club which effectively gave him his break into football management - And he was sacked by a club he took from the relegation zone in League 1 to the play-offs in the Championship. I'm not proud of the way the club handled things
- of which all of the above meant that the club were not able to adequately prepare and build for the start of the new season - Oscar is head-coach & Gus was manager. Different jobs and so Oscar could have been hired long before when he actually was.
- AND then, as the allegations go, getting his new club to bid for our players and totally unsettling them so that they won't/can't play for the club they're contracted to - Allegations. No surprise either - of course he wanted players he could trust.

I remember Micky Adams leaving to become ASSISTANT manager at Leicester. That's a betrayal, but people seem to have got over that.

Gus was the best manager we've had for decades, and I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt

If you discount that, then you are a poor judge. The club had no choice and justifiably sacked Gus for gross misconduct. Show some faith in Tony and the board.

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
Tapping players up is football. It goes on an at every club. Every manager has probably done it at some time. Some we win. Some we lose. As long as we get proper recompense for any of the players who leave I have no issue.

I also can remember the good work Gus did from the moment he took us over (league 1 relegation fodder to league 1 champions) including the fact he got us to play-offs in the first place. Its not a love in, its an appreciation to the best manager we have ever had.

But the original purchase of Ryan Harley is another matter.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
You said:

"A poster said earlier that Gus has been shooting his mouth off to the press.

On the potential acquisition of Brighton players, he has said nothing publicly. In fact, he was quoted as saying 'I'm saying nothing.'" You are WRONG.

Wow. You sad little man, splitting hairs.

And I guess you KNOW - as you've stated it as a fact - that Gus is lying?

I know you have a pisspoor track record in this, but I don't suppose any evidence could be forthcoming, would it?

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Those are the'facts' as you see them but not necessarily the right 'facts'

I don't remember anyone moaning about the team selection at the time and Barnes so very nearly won it for us. << I did >>

He was already on tv when the sacking was posted on the club website. Tony Bloom went on record as saying that Poyet knew the sacking was pending but not finalised. Paul Barber has admitted the club didn't know that Poyet was live on tv that night. The timing was a big mistake by the club. << The timing was poor. Gus playing the timing up was worse. >>

Oscar was in place within a day or two when the players came back so had the whole preseason to work with them including the tour in Spain, so I cannot see why the sacking affected the club. << You must be in a tiny moinority who belives this! >>

As for unsettling our players, a lot of managers go back for players they've had at previous teams. Liam is his own man. Nobody is forcing his arm up his back to refuse to play. << I agree. But Gus took the p1ss with a £2M offer >>

See bold...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Tapping players up is football. It goes on an at every club. Every manager has probably done it at some time. Some we win. Some we lose. As long as we get proper recompense for any of the players who leave I have no issue.

I also can remember the good work Gus did from the moment he took us over (league 1 relegation fodder to league 1 champions) including the fact he got us to play-offs in the first place. Its not a love in, its an appreciation to the best manager we have ever had.

But the original purchase of Ryan Harley is another matter.

Best manager except for Mullers.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
With Sunderland in the League Cup Final there is bound to be more speculation on Gus signing one or more of his ex players. If they cough up £16M for the trio I can't see Tony turning it down but realistically it isn't going to happen.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Liking Gus Poyet as a manager is not mutually exclusive to showing faith in Tony & the board. People make mistakes and mistakes were made on both sides.

its all about that blasted word again
TRUST
but then BW knows what happened and thinks its OK to damn our Ex-manager at every turn ............what he does not realise is we don't know what happened ..........so personally I will not be doing the damning bit until I know what happened , its called being fair.

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
None of us (except B.W., of course, but he won't tell us anything that his exalted position allows him to know) knows anything about the circumstances surrounding Gus's dismissal, so of course it follows that we must blindly and unswervingly believe everything the club has said (not that they've told us why he was fired beyond "gross misconduct"). I can't remember a time when doing that could have had any negative repercussions, can anyone else?

Also, Gus somehow blew our promotion chances last season, deliberately if you believe some? Wow. It's not like he built a team from the bottom of League One to the top of the Championship, is it?

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Wow. You sad little man, splitting hairs.

And I guess you KNOW - as you've stated it as a fact - that Gus is lying?

I know you have a pisspoor track record in this, but I don't suppose any evidence could be forthcoming, would it?

Not splitting hairs tho' is it. Not for the first time, you've been proved WRONG. Live with it.

As I said to one of your Gus loving cronies, if you believe Gus wasn't lying WRT Liam's transfer request, then you are naive, or just can't see straight when it comes to Gus.

I also notice you resort to your 'sad little man' insult again. You are truly pathetic.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here