Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gully Girls.

abc

Jan 6, 2007
This. Cheerleading is, in my view, a slightly embarrassing American import, which is completely out of place before a football game in England and, it has to be said, paints a somewhat anachronistically sexist image in this day and age. When you add to this the fact that GG were/are, frankly, not very good at dancing, the case for keeping them seems rather weak. The charity thing is neither here nor there -- there are lots of other good ways of raising money for worthy causes.
Fanzone, however, I quite like.

I does seems as if some people can't handle the fact that the game has moved on and an increasing number of young children, women and families attend out all matches now. It is not just a day out for the blokes. Gullys girls, fan zone, Gully himself etc appeal to some as part of the overall entertainment experience. If it doesn't to you then fine but it doesn't make it wrong if others enjoy it.

Perhaps we should return to the 'good old days' of pre match entertainment being a punch up between fans and watching the terror of (the few that didn't avoid football for this very reason) the young kids and their families as they saw violence played out in front of them?

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
Is it only me, but I couldn't give a hoot about Gullys Girls, never really saw them anyway! Seems a lot of fuss about some below average dancers/cheer leaders IMHO
Not just you - I couldn't give a toss either. But remember we won on Saturday so there has to be SOMETHING to get wound up about, however trivial

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Marching band is the way forward. Contrary to what overweight 50 yr olds think 6 year old girls want, kids love a marching band, they'd love it, we'd love it and it would save us the embarrassment of having people in leotards do a faggoty little dance before we play FOOTBALL.

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
I does seems as if some people can't handle the fact that the game has moved on and an increasing number of young children, women and families attend out all matches now. It is not just a day out for the blokes. Gullys girls, fan zone, Gully himself etc appeal to some as part of the overall entertainment experience. If it doesn't to you then fine but it doesn't make it wrong if others enjoy it.

Perhaps we should return to the 'good old days' of pre match entertainment being a punch up between fans and watching the terror of (the few that didn't avoid football for this very reason) the young kids and their families as they saw violence played out in front of them?

You've possibly missed the point I was making. I absolutely agree that the game has moved on and that women, kids and families now attend, and that's a good thing. Part of "moving on" might just be to ditch the entertainment which seems targeted mainly at middle-aged men who like leching at at wobbly adolescent girls in short skirts dancing badly. None of the women or kids that I know who come to matches like the Gully's Girls thing, indeed some of them actively hate it. I don't see cheerleading as 'modern' in any way at all; it comes over as very dated and American.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
There was a bit of a craze for cheerleading about 4 years ago, Brighton hosting the world championships I believe. That fad is over and we are right to ditch 'em. The new craze seems to be this rollerderby thing but only bif fat lassies do that so I think we should stick trad and get the band warmed up.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
1. Pre-match / half-time, most of the middle-aged men in WSU are either chatting to mates, queuing, pissing or eating/drinking. Virtually none of them are watching Gully's Girls. I totally don't buy the "perving" argument - how can you perv at something 50 yards away?

2. The point of good cheerleading is in the quality of the dancing and the synchronicity of the moves. Gully's Girls had neither.

3. I accept that it's good to have someone to wave the flags, engage with the fans, assist with community stuff.

abc

Jan 6, 2007
You've possibly missed the point I was making. I absolutely agree that the game has moved on and that women, kids and families now attend, and that's a good thing. Part of "moving on" might just be to ditch the entertainment which seems targeted mainly at middle-aged men who like leching at at wobbly adolescent girls in short skirts dancing badly. None of the women or kids that I know who come to matches like the Gully's Girls thing, indeed some of them actively hate it. I don't see cheerleading as 'modern' in any way at all; it comes over as very dated and American.

Fair enough. My viewpoint is from my wife and kids who make a point of going out to watch them whilst I stay behind in the bar! I'm not sure if they are targeting middle aged men but if that is the case and the cheer leaders feel uncomfortable then fair enough. But no one has really offered up any evidence that this is the case though.

I think therefore we agree on the main point that pre match entertainment has its place for the children and families but maybe the format needs to be discussed further.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Gully was in the WSU concourse, waving at grown men and women. All a bit surreal.
It always strikes me as a little odd, that Gully rarely makes an appearance in the ESL.
Esp as we get so much other stuff, posters, jugglers, face paints, balloons, ball skills, comedy linesmen, but where's Gully.

Admittedly it would probably be something akin to The Beatles first tour of the US, but nevertheless come on Gully.

Southwick_Seagull

Oct 8, 2008
It always strikes me as a little odd, that Gully rarely makes an appearance in the ESL.
Esp as we get so much other stuff, posters, jugglers, face paints, balloons, ball skills, comedy linesmen, but where's Gully.

Admittedly it would probably be something akin to The Beatles first tour of the US, but nevertheless come on Gully.

He/It was in Dick's Bar the other week. A place where every single person is over 18. Very, very odd.

blue2

Apr 21, 2010
Knights in full armour flanked by archers who line up before the game and loose a round or two of arrows into the away end followed by a full charge of the heavyweight armoured axe wielding games makers......... Now that would be prematch entertainment

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
I think girls mud wrestling under the sprinklers would go down well.

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
I'd like to see a tame seagull flying the length of the pitch a few times between its two handlers at each end before each match.
Oh no....

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
If the fans, supporters or as we are now known, customers, are in their seats they cant spend money. Ideally the club want everyone in the concourse spending their ecash up until 30 seconds before kickoff.
As a DJ my job was to get my audience up and dancing. The massive gap and total silence in the 5 minutes before the teams come out is embarrassing. Get the music started, wind it up, fan zone, gullys girls, turn up the volume, the AMEX VT, turn it up, announce the team with VT, more chanting, HERE THEY COME, Sussex By The Sea, and the teams again.
Whilst I'm moaning, can someone turn up the volume in the East Upper as we cant hear anything anyway.

Brightonia

Dec 7, 2012
Sussex by the sea
Haha good luck getting a response from Paul himself! If and I do mean IF he actually reads it and not his PA he might file it...... Under 'unimportant', after all your just a fan!! Who are you to come up with such things! Found that with alot of people at the club, they hide behind their emails and computers.... Easier that way

Customer actually! ;)

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I'd like to see a tame seagull flying the length of the pitch a few times between its two handlers at each end before each match.
Oh no....

Especially if it's really old and struggling badly after one length. :thumbsup:

If only the Seagull had REALLY gone for it. Would have been amazing.

gully is my god

Apr 13, 2011
Hove
I does seems as if some people can't handle the fact that the game has moved on and an increasing number of young children, women and families attend out all matches now. It is not just a day out for the blokes.

And yet its only the perving blokes that really care.

Seriously though, you make it sound like women and children don't come for the actual football but need other things to keep our simple womanly brains entertained. We all come for the main event thank you very much, not just the blokes.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here