[Politics] Growth, Growth, Growth

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Robdinho

Jul 26, 2004
... reflects investment made by employers in updated plant and machinery as opposed to lazy workers.
Absolutely this. UK business seems to take the attitude that 'productivity improvement' can be achieved by reducing headcount and asking fewer people to do more, but missing out the crucial step of investing in the tools to actually allow this to be achieved

Robdinho

Jul 26, 2004
The reason, apparently, was explained back in 2012, by Liz Truss, among others:

“Once they enter the workplace, the British are among the worst idlers in the world. We work among the lowest hours, we retire early and our productivity is poor.
While with her other face bemoaning the lazy French no doubt

Pretty Plnk Fairy

NSC Patron
Jan 30, 2008
"Growth, growth, growth" is what Guppy says when he is visiting ladyboyz in Thailand and trying to get half a teacake to impres them

Regards

DF

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
"Growth, growth, growth" is what Guppy says when he is visiting ladyboyz in Thailand and trying to get half a teacake to impres them

Regards

DF

Has the real Fairy gone forever ?

golddene

Jul 28, 2012
Yep, and KS intends to do SFA about it.

And just what do you think he should do ?
He tried to warn the electorate on what leaving the EU would mean, he managed to make a second referendum a Labour policy on whether or not we should leave once the details on leaving were finally negotiated, what happened ? Labour suffered their worst election defeat for decades. The Liberals went to the country on a policy of reversing the result and they were decimated also.
He can point out how bad things have become and that he warned of the outcome but where would that get him ? He has reached the conclusion that our electorate know best and in my opinion things will reverse when the electorate realise that what we had and what we have lost on the back of idealistic claptrap spouted by the ‘winners’ is just that.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Well the last 12 years hasn't worked, I think we're getting to the point where someone else needs a go.

We've gone backwards

Agree - my point was in response to your comment that :

"One country has sanctions imposed on itself by the itself"

Yet KS spoke last week about not wanting, or even suggesting a second referendum - why is he so scared of saying Brexit is bad for the Country?

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
...a list of three rhetorical slogan will not help the tories now. It's a toxic brand with the majority of the public at the moment.....

That was probably the highlight of his speech.

The rest was luke-warmly applauded rhetoric and a probable U-turn regarding railway nationalisation.

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
That was probably the highlight of his speech.

The rest was luke-warmly applauded rhetoric and a probable U-turn regarding railway nationalisation.

'Lukewarm' is a lot better than 'poisonous' though (and I note you add your usual unsubstantiated speculation on the reason for it) - and that is what we are getting from the nasty party toxic tories..... just follow the spat between Nadine Dorries and Angela Richardson!

It would be amusing if we didn't know this lot are still in power for now.....

Last edited:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Regulations are like taxes, they are indeed a drain on business. Unfortunately though, they are both absolutely necessary. You cannot continue to cut tax because otherwise things stop working. You cannot continue to remove regulation, because otherwise you end up with the nation acting as a giant sweatshop. This, to me, is basic stuff.

absolutly agree, a balance has to be found. the point was we've heard about lower taxes and cutting regulation for years (at least a decade from the reference) but that hasnt happened.

as for Starmer speech sounds like might have an ambition but lacking in any substance. growth will be conjured if we really want it. Industry Strategy Council sounds good if it can do something and not be just a well meaning quango reporting every quarter.

Last edited:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
absolutly agree, a balance has to be found. the point was we've heard about lower taxes and cutting regulation for years (at least a decade from the reference) but that hasnt happened.
More accurately, the Tories always talk about lowering taxes but never actually do it. They might lower income tax because that suits the rich, but the overall tax burden usually rises. I can't say I've ever heard much about cutting regulation except in a London/finance sense, but obviously it has now been identified as a huge Brexit win, so this is where we're at. They'll end up deregulating to the detriment of everyone I suspect. Labour might even pander to it now that they are gutlessly following the Brexit mantra themselves.

as for Starmer speech sounds like might have an ambition but lacking in any substance. growth will be conjured if we really want it. Industry Strategy Council sounds good if it can do something and not be just a well meaning quango reporting every quarter.
I can't say I bother listening to Starmer anymore. Growth might be conjured but will be severely hampered because of Brexit. No getting around that.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Agree - my point was in response to your comment that :

"One country has sanctions imposed on itself by the itself"

Yet KS spoke last week about not wanting, or even suggesting a second referendum - why is he so scared of saying Brexit is bad for the Country?

I would think it's because he recognises that a significant number of people will need themselves and their families to suffer far worse economically over the next couple of years before they would be prepared to even entertain the thought that the Brexit sold to them by Farage, Johnson and co isn't the one they actually got.

The idea that it may have turned out to be anything other than the complete and utter success they thought it would be, and that there may be negative effects of Brexit whatsoever will take a little longer yet for some. (For confirmation see Chaos at Dover Thread)

The numbers are getting smaller, but it's a hard pill to swallow and it's taking some longer than others. It's just a shame that so many innocent people will have to suffer alongside them before that stage is reached :down:

Last edited:

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
And the trouble with this old trope is that you choose to write in pidgeon English, making it barely legible - but I digress.

Regulations are like taxes, they are indeed a drain on business. Unfortunately though, they are both absolutely necessary. You cannot continue to cut tax because otherwise things stop working. You cannot continue to remove regulation, because otherwise you end up with the nation acting as a giant sweatshop. This, to me, is basic stuff.

So far, we've heard a lot of bullshit about cutting red tape, and so far the biggest change this has made is that untreated shit now flows down our rivers. I'm looking forward -as we all are - to the deregulation of the farming industry so that we can import chlorinated chicken from the US and mistreated animal produce from Australia. And I'm pretty sure any deregulation of the labour market will end up similarly advantageous to us all.

Call me strange, but I just felt things were better when we had the protection of European-wide river, food and Labour regulation. And tax was lower. And food banks weren't necessary. Nobody was calling us lazy back then. Maybe the Tories should just introduce a day for clapping workers to make themselves feel better? It worked a treat for NHS workers.

I suspect the remaining residents from the Grenfell Tower might have a strong case for inclusion here. Pickles demonstrated admirably the outcome of cutting red tape and what was the gratitude he received for all his endeavour? Getting called to give evidence at a time wasting enquiry!

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
How do you like it?
How do you like it?

One for the oldies out there

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports