Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Grossly disproportionate

Sergei's Celebration

Jan 3, 2010
I've come back home.
So the Govt wants to change the law saying a house holder can tackle a intruder and protect their home with anything other than 'grossly disproportionate force'.

Now i would protect my home and family like the next man but i have no idea what grossly disproportionate means? Knife, frying pan on top of head, hit them with the rolling pin an extra few times to stop them moving? Who knows? ???

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
The only meaning I can find for disproportionate is, out of proportion. :shrug: So just use the frying pan you should be ok with that.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I'm with them on this one. Surely it is to remove any doubt that you are not using excessive force to disarm a burglar and/or ensure he remains unable to commit further crimes.

I.e. let any prospective burglar do the worrying about what might happen if he's caught, as opposed to the victim.

albion534

Mar 4, 2010
Brighton, United Kingdom
What if the burglar is a monster and it take more than 1 hit? Then the second hit over the head kills him?

Burglars are scum and deserve everything they get if they break into someone's house

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
But what is grossly disproportionate? As originally stated, what's the definition.

Is manslaughter grossly disproportionate or is that ok?

Maybe there's some size weight ratio between burglar and victim that they will apply? If armed then can you disarm and not worry about consequences if you kill the burglar.

Even more disturbing, is this more likely to result in burglars arming themselves if they perceive the potential threat to themselves increasing? Are you, as a result of legislation, now proportionately more likely to face an armed burglar.

As always, smacks of reactionary politics playing to the Mail and The Sun.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Will this just result in Burglars going in 'tooled up' because they know householders are more likely to defend their property?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here