Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Groß denied the opportunity of a hat-trick

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Very similar to Mwepu"s push at Everton and Lewis blasted tthe resulting pen over.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Surely they've changed the rules, seeing as neither the ref or three VAR officials deem smashing into a player with no attempt to play the ball a foul.

We should get Potter to instruct the players to spend the entire next game doing this and see what happens, lol.

They have supposedly raised the bar on how much contact is needed for a foul. We should be seeing more instances of those 'felt a touch, so went down' fouls not being given. I think we did over the weekend. Though given some of the fouls the ref gave today (I'm thinking particularly for Maguire falling over), the penalty claim seemed to be above the threshold the ref had establised in this mtch.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
They have supposedly raised the bar on how much contact is needed for a foul. We should be seeing more instances of those 'felt a touch, so went down' fouls not being given. I think we did over the weekend. Though given some of the fouls the ref gave today (I'm thinking particularly for Maguire falling over), the penalty claim seemed to be above the threshold the ref had establised in this mtch.

To give the ref some credit, he was behind and a way off and wouldn't have seen the intensity of the push . . . Welbeck was going no where and would have done extremely well to control himself and the ball and stay on the pitch.

All of that is irrelevant . . . Entitled Manure individuals ( most of them) were rattled and frustrated at being outplyed by better team players and it was a deliberate shove against every rule in the book.

VAR failed badly. . . I suspect Fergie had someone in the same room 'advising'

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
and on VAR today......

var.jpg

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria

I'm all for that.

Don't think Welbeck had much of a chance to stay on his feet though!

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
To give the ref some credit, he was behind and a way off and wouldn't have seen the intensity of the push . . . Welbeck was going no where and would have done extremely well to control himself and the ball and stay on the pitch.

All of that is irrelevant . . . Entitled Manure individuals ( most of them) were rattled and frustrated at being outplyed by better team players and it was a deliberate shove against every rule in the book.

VAR failed badly. . . I suspect Fergie had someone in the same room 'advising'

When the ref's only defence is that he can't keep up with play, you know he's out of his depth (or more likely knows exactly what he's doing)

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Was this a greater achievement than the Amex victory? The following reasons are convincing:

1. We’d never won at Old Trafford.
2. We had to beat the ref as well as their team.
3. We had to beat the linesmen as well as their team.
4. We had to beat VAR as well as their team.
5. If the penalty had been given, we might have gone on to score several more, that turned the match in their favour but we still held out.
6. We had Biss & Cucu starting at the Amex.
7. We had a voracious home crowd behind us at the Amex.

In my view, today was better.

1 - 6 are great points. However, we totally outsung United from start to finish today. Most of the game you just heard us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Stockley Park United 1 Brighton and Hove Albion 2

GloryDays

Jul 5, 2011
Leyton, E10.
Was this a greater achievement than the Amex victory? The following reasons are convincing:

1. We’d never won at Old Trafford.
2. We had to beat the ref as well as their team.
3. We had to beat the linesmen as well as their team.
4. We had to beat VAR as well as their team.
5. If the penalty had been given, we might have gone on to score several more, that turned the match in their favour but we still held out.
6. We had Biss & Cucu starting at the Amex.
7. We had a voracious home crowd behind us at the Amex.

In my view, today was better.

I agree. Also, the amex 4-0 was incredible, but this was a new season for United. A fresh start. Clean slate. Level playing field.

And again we schooled them.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
One viewing was sufficient …thankfully it didn’t alter the result…but the refs in my little black book
Well when you are out for dinner and a movie with him tell him he is a shit ref.

Sent from my M2010J19CG using Tapatalk

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
By one of the worst penalty decisions you’ll ever see against the Albion. Made even more horrific by VAR not intervening.

Something has to be done about this. Just get rid of VAR if you’re not going to use it for the clangers.

A penalty in every ground except for the opposition team at Old Trafford.

Yes, it should have been a penalty but as we don’t score penalties it wouldn’t really have been an opportunity for a hat trick.

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
All officials bad. Lino flagging when close offsides/onside for both teams (Sanchez save and Welbeck through). Goal kick given when ball clearly not over line when Welbz was hassling Maguire - no excuse for that one.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
The only thing I can think is that this is similar to Connolly's overturned pen (v guess who?) and a couple of Vardy's that were overturned. Yes, they were shoved, but they only went down because the attacking player stopped hard to invite contact. Welbeck knew Martinez was there and engineered contact (not my opinion - just a possible explanation).

To me, you'll struggle to see a more blatant penalty not given.

That said though, I've seen some suggest that this is the worst VAR decision yet. That's complete nonsense just off the top of my head we had a penalty given after the final whistle, which was FAR worse in my book.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
All officials bad. Lino flagging when close offsides/onside for both teams (Sanchez save and Welbeck through). Goal kick given when ball clearly not over line when Welbz was hassling Maguire - no excuse for that one.

Yep - funnily enough he allowed play to carry on until the save, for United, but went up immediately when Welbz was through on goal.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here