Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Grid girls scrapped from F1 races..

btnbelle

Apr 26, 2017
It really is not that simple though is it. This is not just about available roles for women, they can do any job they like if they can get that job. They won't be paid as well and will find it harder to get promoted though obviously.

If there were men appearing as eye candy at all women's sporting events, as well as equal pay for women, equal rights globally for women and equal chance of being promoted for women, then probably no one would bat an an eyelid about the fact that some women appear scantily clad at various sporting events for the titillation of men, but as that is not the case then it is probably for the best that we drop this pointless custom.

Again it is not these women who are setting the bad example, but the overall impression is that, especially for the young. You need to take your view away from the actual women standing on the track, and think more broadly about women in general.

I am happy for men to do these kind of roles too. I guess such roles only exist where there is a demand for them though.

The issues around gender and equality are separate to the roles women do. Of course pay needs to be equal but axing these girls won't change pay discrimination. Women can do any job they wish today. There is a percentage of the population who are looking to work in this kind of industry, maybe due to being paid well for low skilled work.

Women are mainly paid less because they are perceived to be care givers and take time out for having children. The only thing that can change this, is men taking time out to look after the family while women go back to their career. Employers won't know who to discriminate against when choosing staff then.

I am not sure how society suffers because they are there. If a young girl asks her parents why women do the job, can we just explain to them that it is a choice open to women.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Interesting; I have just looked on another club's fans forum and in one and a half hours there have been 5 comments on this topic and none of them are expressing the kind of attitudes expressed by the 'outraged' community here.
Only on NSC, over 200 comments. It just wouldn't happen anywhere else.

Said the man sat in his car complaining about the traffic.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
I am happy for men to do these kind of roles too. I guess such roles only exist where there is a demand for them though.

The issues around gender and equality are separate to the roles women do.

No, they are not.

Of course pay needs to be equal but axing these girls won't change pay discrimination. Women can do any job they wish today. There is a percentage of the population who are looking to work in this kind of industry, maybe due to being paid well for low skilled work.

Women are mainly paid less because they are perceived to be care givers and take time out for having children. The only thing that can change this, is men taking time out to look after the family while women go back to their career. Employers won't know who to discriminate against when choosing staff then.

I do not think you can separate this idea that women are perceived as care givers from using them in this capacity. It is perceiving women as being different from men. There is absolutely no reason why a man cannot be the primary care giver for children.

I am not sure how society suffers because they are there. If a young girl asks her parents why women do the job, can we just explain to them that it is a choice open to women.

You are still ignoring what this role signifies. Of course a young girl can choose to do any job she likes, hopefully she will aspire to be something more than a girl holding an umbrella or whatever it is they do in F1.

Last edited:

marcos3263

Oct 29, 2009
Fishersgate and Proud
but isnt this all part of life? why do very successful female artists who are exceptionally talented and wealthy still have to dress provocatively at the Grammys for example. Should the contestants on Strictly come dancing be made to wear more clothes? Why does Rachel Riley (a NSC favourite) and Suzy (my favourite) wear little dresses when they are exceptionally clever and smart presenters. etc etc. I suppose 8 out of 10 cats have a couple of dolly blokes wearing little as a form of ironic humour to balance it. The two model sisters recently did a vogue cover all naked and entwined. why? what were they selling even? it was naked for the sake of it, not a sexy or hot photo and not modelling clothes or products so pointless but still a front page and major story.

We like to look at pretty people, male or female and I don't look at a pit girl or similar and therefore think all women are bimbos or less intelligent.

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
You do understand roughly 50% of the worlds population is a female and the horrors they endure throughout the world everyday just because they are women.
If we were talking about any minority or ethnic race, you would be right behind them telling is how racist we all are.

You're so full of shit it's not funny.

You're right in some places women are being killed and maimed for dressing in unsatisfactory ways. Does that not put this into perspective? The people for this are so hellbent on the protecting women part that we're at 200+ posts arguing for them to be taken away while women around the world are being killed for nothing. Maybe you should direct your passion towards issues that really, really matter and who knows the difference you could make actually helping people in need?

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
but isnt this all part of life? why do very successful female artists who are exceptionally talented and wealthy still have to dress provocatively at the Grammys for example. Should the contestants on Strictly come dancing be made to wear more clothes? Why does Rachel Riley (a NSC favourite) and Suzy (my favourite) wear little dresses when they are exceptionally clever and smart presenters. etc etc. I suppose 8 out of 10 cats have a couple of dolly blokes wearing little as a form of ironic humour to balance it. The two model sisters recently did a vogue cover all naked and entwined. why? what were they selling even? it was naked for the sake of it, not a sexy or hot photo and not modelling clothes or products so pointless but still a front page and major story.

We like to look at pretty people, male or female and I don't look at a pit girl or similar and therefore think all women are bimbos or less intelligent.

I already asked this question, I asked for clarification on movies, music, modeling. Nobody replied because they haven't got a clue and don't want to talk themselves into a corner.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Number 1 feminist hate, Men enjoying themselves.
You want men in hotpants gyrating about? Fine by me its called The Chippendales etc.

Personally I think F1 is as boring as it gets but if other men want half naked floozeys prancing about to re-assure themselves that watching other men hurtling around a glorified merry-go round isn't in the slightest bit gay who am I to object?

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia

Because they can and want too!!

btnbelle

Apr 26, 2017
No, they are not.

[/QUOTE]

For me women can choose any role, if she works hard enough to achieve her goal. Her pay is the only issue. Taking women out of presentation roles won't make anyone pay any woman more. Some women have lost work now and HMRC are getting less tax.

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
F1 girls are not scantily clad are they (don't they usually wear smart clothes?) At what point do they become sex objects ? Whether it is right or wrong attractive people of either sex are used to sell a product. It may be diet coke, perfume, clothes, food or sport. Do I give a toss if they go? Nope. But at what point do we become hypocrites, maybe I should not go to any more Scarlet Johansson films - I find her attractive, I think therefore I must be a sexist pervert.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I already asked this question, I asked for clarification on movies, music, modeling. Nobody replied because they haven't got a clue and don't want to talk themselves into a corner.

May I? The practice of sexualising young pop stars by management, encouraging ultra skinny models or demanding young actresses slim down and sleep with directors before getting a role is a very bad thing and needs to be addressed.

btnbelle

Apr 26, 2017
F1 girls are not scantily clad are they (don't they usually wear smart clothes?) At what point do they become sex objects ? Whether it is right or wrong attractive people of either sex are used to sell a product. It may be diet coke, perfume, clothes, food or sport. Do I give a toss if they go? Nope. But at what point do we become hypocrites, maybe I should not go to any more Scarlet Johansson films - I find her attractive, I think therefore I must be a sexist pervert.

Your not sexist to me.... Hetrosexual adults fancy each other, things are going to far.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
1. I am saying you are an idiot.

2. I did psychology as part of my degree, so I do have a few clues about the effects of media and social conditioning on the development of personality.

3. My user name is "Father_And_Son".... I refer you to point 1.

Geez, what century are you living in? We're in the 21st. Century now, and gender identity is now a matter of personal choice, so no clue can be assumed from your user name. That would just be stereotyping, which is also not allowed in this century.

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
May I? The practice of sexualising young pop stars by management, encouraging ultra skinny models or demanding young actresses slim down and sleep with directors before getting a role is a very bad thing and needs to be addressed.

I mean sure go for it, you like to hand pick what you'll write about.

What about those same stars that sexualise themselves on their social media? What about male actors who are told to get buffer before being given a part in a movie? What about those women who intend to sleep their way to the top? I agree with you that all of your points should absolutely be addressed but then we must be fair and equal and address all the other stuff too, no?

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I mean sure go for it, you like to hand pick what you'll write about.

What about those same stars that sexualise themselves on their social media? What about male actors who are told to get buffer before being given a part in a movie? What about those women who intend to sleep their way to the top? I agree with you that all of your points should absolutely be addressed but then we must be fair and equal and address all the other stuff too, no?

Perhaps if these people hadn't been exposed to sexualisation in popular culture, sports and media from infancy they might not be so inclined to embrace it as young adults.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Charlotte Gash is the one who is the accountant, yes?

But yeah, they'll all be "unemployed"...

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
It's not stupid to want too look at hot women at sporting events. It's what nature and biological forces dictate of us.

Going against nature is just going to create a whole generation of effeminate internally confused men.

Hahaha! Genuine LOL.

At least you're honest though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here