Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Yes.

Very pricey and a bit is of a ‘treat’ at £10.50 but I really wanted to try it!

I’ll be buying them at Tesco’s in the future and making them at home!

That's a surprisingly good price for Brighton !

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Yes.

Very pricey and a bit is of a ‘treat’ at £10.50 but I really wanted to try it!

I’ll be buying them at Tesco’s in the future and making them at home!

I had the Impossible Burger in California this year.

Mine didn't "bleed" so I'm not sure if that meant it had been overcooked or not. In terms of texture and taste, I'm not sure it was much different to the Quorn quarter-pounders that are a staple of our Fun Food Friday nights.

They're going to be available in US shops this year, so they might make it over here at some point too >>> https://www.forbes.com/sites/christ...ake-grocery-store-debut-in-2019/#9ebd8cd98bae

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
The decision came after a petition by animal welfare group PETA was launched last year calling on Greggs to provide a vegan version of the product, of which 1.5 million are sold every week.
The petition was signed by more than 20,000 people.

The people have spoken: last year, more than 20,000 of them signed PETA’s petition asking for a vegan sausage roll – and Greggs listened. The most hotly anticipated launch of 2019 will mean that the skyrocketing number of vegans, vegetarians, and flexitarians around the UK will never be far from a quick and delicious plant-based snack.

So. How is this anything to do with ANIMAL WELFARE?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
The decision came after a petition by animal welfare group PETA was launched last year calling on Greggs to provide a vegan version of the product, of which 1.5 million are sold every week.
The petition was signed by more than 20,000 people.

The people have spoken: last year, more than 20,000 of them signed PETA’s petition asking for a vegan sausage roll – and Greggs listened. The most hotly anticipated launch of 2019 will mean that the skyrocketing number of vegans, vegetarians, and flexitarians around the UK will never be far from a quick and delicious plant-based snack.

So. How is this anything to do with ANIMAL WELFARE?

funny situation, animal welfare group demanding that they eat something at the widely derided* food outlet. must be able to enjoy cheap, fatty snacks dammit!

(*not myself, from the food fascists that want to dictate the diet of the population)

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
I had the Impossible Burger in California this year.

Mine didn't "bleed" so I'm not sure if that meant it had been overcooked or not. In terms of texture and taste, I'm not sure it was much different to the Quorn quarter-pounders that are a staple of our Fun Food Friday nights.

They're going to be available in US shops this year, so they might make it over here at some point too >>> https://www.forbes.com/sites/christ...ake-grocery-store-debut-in-2019/#9ebd8cd98bae

So it was closer to a normal soy / myco protein burger than a meat burger?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
So it was closer to a normal soy / myco protein burger than a meat burger?

I'm not sure.

I'd say it was quite meaty and chewy in the same way as the Quorn ones are. It's been so long since I ate meat, I'm not well placed to say how meat-like either are.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I'm not sure.

I'd say it was quite meaty and chewy in the same way as the Quorn ones are. It's been so long since I ate meat, I'm not well placed to say how meat-like either are.

My beyond burger was a little red in the middle which I thought was a nice touch!

Texture wise, it was actually quite close to a normal burger which I found very impressive.

The taste was not revolutionary but they somehow managed to get it juicy in a ‘meaty fat’ way that really amazed me.

The actual party was served with Gouda and roast pepper as well as a yummy burger sauce in a beetroot flavoured brioche.

Well worth giving a go on ‘Fun-Food-Friday-Nights’ I’d say!

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
If it tastes good and meaty, nothing had to die to make it and it’s better for the environment then why wouldn’t you? I’d give it a whirl.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
As in county, where the sun shines orange And the land is covered in orange trees.

As for vegan butter . . With vinegar? f*ck that!

Freeways and houses rather than trees. Do you sell real estate in the Mickey Mouse polluted urban sprawl that isn’t LA?

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
funny situation, animal welfare group demanding that they eat something at the widely derided* food outlet. must be able to enjoy cheap, fatty snacks dammit!

(*not myself, from the food fascists that want to dictate the diet of the population)

Yes, but Greggs are very PR savvy. Interesting company and I suggest have probably learnt from the Iceland / Green Peace thing.

I'm not sure they are that derided anymore to honest. They've realised to beat the supermarkets they have to be different.

Huge PR win for Greggs,

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

Yes, they've changed their business because obviously they used to be a bakers.

What got my interest was a few years ago when the google algorithms brought up a negative image of Greggs when searched, an altered logo with the scrap line "serving shit to scum for over 70 years".

Instead of freaking out, they launched a comedic interchange with Google via Twitter which has retrospectively been described as textbook PR.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here