Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Green Party

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Personally I think meat free Monday is a good idea. Meat every day for everyone is not sustainable and a little encouragement to not eat it is a good thing.

Oct 25, 2003
they didn't stand in a fair amount of seats to be fair. I imagine most of their (limited) resources go into maintaining Lucas' position in Pavilion (which worked)

I imagine a lot of their voters were voting for Labour this time around- particularly their big student vote

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Agreed. They actually got less votes overall than UKIP, which shows how relevant they are. The bottom line is they only do (even remotely) well in places where there is a high proportion of smug, comfortable middle class virtue-signallers. Being an anti-industry party they get absolutely stuffed in working class constituencies. Lucas is an aberration.
Erm this is total bollocks

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Bridcutt

Aug 10, 2011
Good for you. Don't expect others to though

If people genuinely care about animals/climate change then they will; too many people claim they love animals when they pay for animals to be slaughtered just so they can salivate their tastebuds

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate

Jan 30, 2008
I see they only got 500,000 votes. Caroline Lucas very high profile and untouchable in Brighton.. However over last ten years as a Party seem to have made no progress
LIVING IN A BUBBLE IN BRIGHTON, JUST A WASTE OF SPACE PARTY FOR PEOPLE OUT OF TOUCH WITH REALITY :wink:
regards
DR

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
I am not a Green voter but I do think our voting system is so rigged it's almost imposable for small parties to make headway the Tories had 44% of the vote and for that they get 318 MPs Labour got 41% which gave them 261 MPs so for 3% the Tories managed to get an extra 57 MPs while the Greens had 2% of the vote yet only manage to get the 1 MP UKIP

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
No, I don't think it did. It included wind, solar, biomass and hydro. Nuclear provided 23.2%. So around three quarters of electricity inc. nuclear.
I heard it when they announced it on the radio, and they said renewables and nuclear combined exceeded gas and coal for the first time. Then in the link you've provided it says:
"The National Grid control room added that this is the first time that renewable energy and nuclear power have together produced more power than gas and coal plants combined."

Yet like you say, the figures from that link suggest that just renewables exceeded 50%. It doesn't make sense.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Diddums.

Parts of Hove ARE Green areas. However, it was more important to elect a Labour MP for Hove.

Blimey. You reallt do have your finger on the pulse, don't you? Phelim MacCafferty (incredible you're having trouble reading such a simple name) stood as it was felt standing two candidates down in the city was taking a liberty with the members. He hardly canvassed, and wasn't upset about losing.

Poor little Ian, getting it wrong again.

It was council officers who introduced Meat Free Mondays, who jumped the gun on the plan. The Green Party wanted to introduce it, but not until they felt council workers were up for it.

Still, what's a little re-writing of history?

Oh dear .... you really are a Green boot licker aren't you Alan ! So our Irish little idiot Green was crushed because he decided not to put any effort in. How nice of him to go out of his way to stand for the 'members' sake. I'm sure the members would have rathered he stand with a view of trying to win the seat but at least the utter unpleasent idiot has followed the path of his loon Hawtree who lost equally heavily - or did Hawtree not put any effort in either ?

So you admit that Meat Free Monday was a Green policy but a council officer implemeted it early.

Really, your never ending defence of the Greens in such an arrogant, dismissive way ( and not just towards me ) just makes you look like a Green idiot. You really do come across as a Green sycophant.

BrianWade4

Aug 17, 2010
A nice bit of South London
Serious question as don't live in Brighton...
Has the city changed in any way due to having a Green MP?
Presumably all noticeable stuff - roads, parks, schools, new buildings, etc - for good or bad - is the responsibility of the Local Council?
In other words, does have a Green Party MP make any difference?

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
That included Nuclear energy right? Not sure the Greens think that's the best form of energy.

Unfortunately there isn't an effective way to store power generated by wind, solar and hydro so it's a power source that is still heavily dependent on weather conditions so an alternative is still needed to make up for times where green sources cannot meet the demand

Some countries can actually end up producing too much green energy during certain weather conditions and sell it off to neighbouring countries at negative cost ( https://www.cleanenergywire.org/factsheets/why-power-prices-turn-negative ) as a result of the problematic energy storage issues

Depending on which source you use, the figure shows it as over 50% was from renewable then nuclear power was on top of this figure, and others seem to imply that the over 50% for the first time included nuclear (which i suppose it technically true if it was over 50% green and then the 20% or so from nuclear on top and could be responsible for the differing reporting)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here