Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Greece bans fans for two months

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
https://apnews.com/article/greece-o...ers-security-d4258ff7e75ccec9ac39f2ec884b0605

Greece has banned all fans from the top division for two months in a crackdown on Violence.

Also HD CCTV to be installed at all grounds and invidual ticketing to be adopted with ID required at all games.

May also extend to European games
Says that PAOK and Panathanikos will have fans in the stadium for their UEFA games. Luckily for us as well, all the Greek teams are dropping into the conference league

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Pleased to see proper action taken.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Good.
I’m still waiting for the UEFA statement from 10 days ago. Had that been our fans we’d be out the competition.
No evidence of that. The English ban in the 80s was as a result of constant problems involving our fans. It was inevitable after Heysel- and probably not a cheap ban either given the performances of our clubs then.

There seems to be problems all over at present.

But UEFA aren't shy of handing out bans, fines, empty stadiums these days.

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
This Greece ban thingy, is due to it all kicking off between Olympiakos and Panathinaikos....at a volleyball match!

……organised by their football fans….
It's a thing in a lot of European and South American countries that the big football teams also have teams representing them in other sports (Basketball, Volleyball, Handball etc). Fans will often go and watch their 'team' in different sports, and I believe the football fans/ultras sometimes go to practice chants, and presumably to start fights with rivals.

Steve Lansdown has tried to do the same over here with Bristol City (football), Bears (Rugby) and Flyers (Basketball) all under the Bristol Sport group. Hasn't really taken off in the same way though.

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
It's a thing in a lot of European and South American countries that the big football teams also have teams representing them in other sports (Basketball, Volleyball, Handball etc). Fans will often go and watch their 'team' in different sports, and I believe the football fans/ultras sometimes go to practice chants, and presumably to start fights with rivals.

Steve Lansdown has tried to do the same over here with Bristol City (football), Bears (Rugby) and Flyers (Basketball) all under the Bristol Sport group. Hasn't really taken off in the same way though.
It's bad enough trying to get the masses interested in the other 'Albion' teams(wimmin' and yoof), without subjecting them to the wronguns of other sports!

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Granada against Athletic Bilbao was abandoned last night due to rioting.

Should Spanish football take a couple of months to punish fans? Of course not.

I just don't understand it. It's all Greek to me.
Are you going to man up and admit you got it badly wrong?

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea
It's bad enough trying to get the masses interested in the other 'Albion' teams(wimmin' and yoof), without subjecting them to the wronguns of other sports!

Sounds like a good idea tbh I can't stand Rugby so would give that a miss but would be up for getting back into watching 'Brighton Bears' and if we had an Ice hockey team would give that a go.

I think European teams have their football teams name in other sports don't they? Like Real Madrid is the name of their basketball team, therefore it sort of automatically draws in the football fans.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Sounds like a good idea tbh I can't stand Rugby so would give that a miss but would be up for getting back into watching 'Brighton Bears' and if we had an Ice hockey team would give that a go.

I think European teams have their football teams name in other sports don't they? Like Real Madrid is the name of their basketball team, therefore it sort of automatically draws in the football fans.
There's a book (which I unhelpfully can't remember the name of) about a Sunday cricket team playing on every continent.
Their tour includes a match against Roma. Although that's probably less weird than the match against the Malaysian national side.

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea
There's a book (which I unhelpfully can't remember the name of) about a Sunday cricket team playing on every continent.
Their tour includes a match against Roma. Although that's probably less weird than the match against the Malaysian national side.

Sounds like a good jolly! I'm not sure if I like the idea of all sports team having the same name or their own identity. I see the sense in it, regarding attracting fans.

It's just Brighton and Hove Albion (Rugby, Basketball, Cricket, Ice Hockey and American Football Team) doesn't quite have the same ring to it :lol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here