Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Great piece on Mr Bloom in The Telegraph today

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Sadly behind a paywall, but very interesting stuff and well worth a read.

Bloom.jpg

Bloom

worthingseagull

Sep 28, 2011

The army of maths prodigies who help Brighton conquer the transfer market​

It is 60 miles from Camden Lock to Brighton’s Amex Stadium in Falmer but arguably still the best starting point for clues behind one of British football’s most extraordinary success stories.

“It’s one in 10 or 20 million,” says Marc Sugarman, a childhood friend and Brighton director since 2009, in reference to the club’s rise under owner Tony Bloom from effectively homeless in League One to a sparkling new stadium and training ground and currently a place inside the Premier League’s top six and the fifth round of the FA Cup.

Sunday’s 2-1 win over Liverpool has only reinforced Brighton’s model club status and, while one inevitable consequence is a repeated outside interest in their best players and staff, perhaps the clearest lesson from the past 14 years is summed up by one of Bloom’s betting associates. “The real genius behind it all is the owner because, while individuals might sometimes come and go, the structure remains and that is what counts because it is always there in support of the next person,” said the source, pointing out that “everything Tony Bloom touches turns to gold”.

Mod note: Full article edited out. Please do NOT copy and paste whole articles from behind paywalls - NSC could be sued out of existence.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
Wouldn't read that insidious crap paper - worse than the Mail, Express, Sun and the rest. At least those are completely overt in their bigotry.
Whereas the Telegraph writes always just below the surface, using negatives, half truths and misinformation to spread the word.

Sorry, got out of the wrong side of the bed this morning.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Wouldn't read that insidious crap paper - worse than the Mail, Express, Sun and the rest. At least those are completely overt in their bigotry.
Whereas the Telegraph writes always just below the surface, using negatives, half truths and misinformation to spread the word.

Very open minded of you, makes the world go round I suppose.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Nah, the Telegraph is brilliant. A mine of great info every day, without pop up ads.

(I don’t read politics editorials on any paper, never had, so I’m able to swerve propaganda).

Last edited:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Some take outs:

- Barber/Bloom have identified 25 key roles within the entire club. They have an evolving list of names to replace any of them at any one time.
- Players only leave when the price and time is right for the club.
- The thoroughness and interviewing technique of Star Lizard job candidates is interesting, including random detailed questioning of how they rate entire other squads.
- It’s not all about mathematics. TB recognises the unpredictability of football in his modelling.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I like the reader comment that we should revisit this article after next season when Brighton have been relegated. I know that you can never predict anything with certainty but I would be absolutely staggered if we went down next year.

I wonder if it was the same person who commented in the Argus that Brighton would go bust after building the stadium as they had no chance of reaching the break-even attendance of 13,000

Originunknown

BINFEST'ING
Aug 30, 2011
SUSSEX

Stick to the sport, Telegraph has some brilliant sports writers.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Newcastle fans still oblivious to this and continue to wank themselves silly over the success of our transfer profits in the mistaken belief that all of our players have been personally discovered by Dan Ashworth during his 2.5 years with us.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
His office seems to be in the Ice Works building in Camden. I looked at an apartment in that building many years ago. Having Bloom as a neighbour would have been amusing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here