Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Great Guitar Riffs - Radio 2 Poll

Since1982

Sep 30, 2006
Burgess Hill
And Money by Pink Floyd isn't a guitar riff, its an iconic piece of bass playing. Agree the nonsense of M&A by Dr Feelgood - has to be something by Wilko.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Good point... an oversight on my part. Blackers, however, is the only credited writer of two entries is he not?!? Just saying. It's academic anyway, it's flawed and a quality street standard BBC radio friendly selection box of acceptable niceties. Slippers, pipe and toe tapping homeliness... lovely. I prefer epic, diabolic and waking up naked in a bush somewhere in the outskirts of Newcastle.

Top Ranting Sir! :bowdown:

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
I voted for two riffs that whole genres were based on:

It wasn't called heavy metal when they invented it

and hip hop's backing track:

Radio 2 left out a personal favourite:

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
Yeah some good choices in there but some significant omissions: no Deep Purple?! Really?! Black Night, Speed King, just about anything off Machine Head knocks lots of those choices into a cocked hat.
Entirely agree about Wilko-era Feelgoods: lots of choice there.
Would certainly have picked Whole Lotta Rosie for the AC/DC choice.
Looking forward to the BBC4 documentary mind :lolol: :guitar:

SouthCoastOwl

May 23, 2013
Vaux Sur Seine
I heartily endorse the inclusion of The Sprit Of Radio (Rush are almost always ignored in these polls) but where the hell is Carry On Wayward Son by Kansas and Crazy On You by Heart?

To omit these iconic riffs is inexcusable and everyone at Radio 2 should be deeply deeply ashamed.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Not often I agree with Kosh, but I'd vote for Burn as a Purple riff over SOTW. Possibly even Highway Star.

While we're at it, Wishing Well by Free has a far better riff than All Right Now.

Hard to choose from the original list, but I'd probably plump for 20th Century Boy. Although again you could argue that Children of the Revolution should be T.Rex's entry.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Not having looked at the list, it SHOULD just be full of Led Zeppelin, Rage Against The Machine, Muse (Plug-in Baby is an INCREDIBLE riff) and Death From Above 1979. Franz Ferdinand have done some NIFTY riftys as well.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Aussie accent: That's not a riff...THIS is a riff!

[yt]dbB-mICjkQM[/yt]

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
I heartily endorse the inclusion of The Sprit Of Radio (Rush are almost always ignored in these polls) but where the hell is Carry On Wayward Son by Kansas and Crazy On You by Heart?

To omit these iconic riffs is inexcusable and everyone at Radio 2 should be deeply deeply ashamed.

Please note I suggested Kansas but curiously I only came across that classic from listening a covers album by Yngwie Malmsteen. Which amazingly he didn't ruin by playing it too fast.

As people have stated there are a number of bands who could contribute multiple contenders. Metallica, Iron Maiden, AC/DC, deep Purple, Rainbow to name but a few.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Some really great calls on this thread.

Not a great fan of the Manic Street Preachers and came across Motorcycle Emptiness by accident. And a what a gloriously flowing riff it is helped by a really creamy Gibson tone. With regard to Wishing Well by Free I actually prefer the late great Gary Moore's version on the live 80's Japanese import album 'Rocking Every Night'.

Of riffs generally lauded but I personally hate the winner has to be Iron Man. Awful dirge!

And when it comes to twin riff age these are the masters :

Murray/ Smith - Iron Maiden
Hetfield/ Hammett - Metallica
Gorham/ Robertson or Moore - Thin Lizzy

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
And if you're talking twin guitar riffs, can I throw in an honorable mention for the mighty Wishbone Ash, who managed to combine some darn fine tunes with some monster axe work ...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here