Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Great Goldstone Memories

Sussex on Leith

Sep 11, 2003
Leith
Back to the thread...

Having always lived up north, I don't have as many games to choose from as some, but a couple of Pompey memories stand out:

1. One down with a couple of minutes to go, then Bremner and Nelson scored in front of me in the south stand to send us all loudly mental. Oh, and Martin Kuhl was sent off in between the two goals for shooting his big mouth off. Lovely.

2. FA Cup a few years later, when they were a division above us - Pompey only had one fit striker (Colin Clarke I believe) and Fozzie did for him in the first five minutes. Then Matthew Edwards knocked in a header, we had the clearest penalty in living memory turned down, then Pompey had the ball in the net in stoppage time. I vividly remember watching their fans running around the pitch giving V-signs to our supporters, blissfully unaware of the linesman stood behind them, flag calmly upraised. I didn't actually piss myself, but it was a close-run thing.

oatsy

Aug 14, 2003
when Leeds came down for a relegation party (bit hazy as to what the score was but i think they beat us 4 nil) were all brilliant. [/B][/QUOTE]

That was Stoke wasn't it? Absolute lunatics, they were all in fancy dress up at the Hove Park Tavern, then invaded the pitch after beating us 4-0, probably the most bizarre day I ever had at the Goldstone.

chips and gravy

Jan 5, 2004
worthing
I remember that Stoke game - it was a lovely sunny day and it was the time of the inflatables. I remember loads that day! They also spent most of the match singing Delilah! (Why do they sing that btw?)

My favourite memories were Bryan Wade's four goal salvo against Newcastle, a 3-3 draw against Liverpool in 1981 and the Millwall play-off game. Deano's last minute free kick was a bit special too although the crowd was so big I didn't get a great view of it.

When is the next part of the Brighton history video going to come out? I'd love to see some of these moments again!

eiregull

Jul 15, 2003
ireland
Eastleigh Seagull said:
One of the best moods we ever left the ground in was after the 7-0 against Charlton when, if memory serves, we had seven different scorers?

I remember that very well, me and my dad came through the old east terrace turnstile and my dad accidentally knocked this old guys glasses off , breaking them, the old guy clearly couldnt see a thing without them. And my dad felt very bad about this , me being a sarcastic teenager quipped ' dont worry dad well probabaly only win 7-0. That is my classic goldstone memory.

:lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

After the game my dad sent the old guy about 4 times what the glasses were worth he felt so bad.:lolol:

wolfie

Jul 19, 2003
Warwickshire
FamilyGuy said:
Early 80's (1983??). Watching The Albion beat Chelsea at the Goldstone, then leaving the ground and crossing the (normally crowded) road. My mates left me and turned left (they lived in Shoreham and I live in Crawley). The crowd parted and a very large, very Chelsea, Skinhead (scarves, shirt, boots - the lot) walked straight up to me...............I looked around for the nearest Copper - none to be found - I thought I was gonna get thumped.

He made a bee-line straight for me.........................held out his hand and shook my hand - "Bloody well played mate, well done, great game" (he said)..............

(Phew!)

:thumbsup: :ascarf:
We have never beaten Chelsea in my lifetime.

wolfie

Jul 19, 2003
Warwickshire
1959 Aston Villa 1-2 (First Game- didn't see a thing/ too small)
1964 Barrow 3-1 (Bobby Smith 2 goal debut)
1965 Darlington 3-1 (Championship Div 4)
1965 Wisbech Town 10-1 (Record)
1967 Chelsea 1-1 (Queued all night)
1972 Rochdale 1-1 (Promoted, 33,000)
1976 York 7-2 (First sighting of Peter Ward)
1976 Derby 1-1 (P.Ward now a legend)
1979 Arsenal 0-4 (Queued all night)
1979 Man City 4-1 (Gerry Ryan goal of the decade)
1982 Arsenal 2-1 (Crashed on way to Brighton)
1988 Northampton 3-0 (Totally drenched on East Terrace)
1988 Bristol Rovers (Promoted - severe sunburn)
1996 York (Abandoned 15 minutes)
1997 Hartlepool 5-0 (Fans United)
1997 Wigan 1-0 (Last visit to Goldstone)
2004 Parked outside Comet and spat

Donny Osmond

Jul 6, 2003
Early to mid 90's.
Kurt Nogan struck a beauty from 25 yards which hit the back stansion and came straight back out. I thought it had hit the post and didn't realise it had gone in til everyone else started to celebrate.:clap:

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
The middle aged ball boy heading the ball back into the crowd against Man City when they needed to win to maintain their promotion hopes.

Bellotti fleeing the West Stand against Darlington (?), never to reappear at the Goldstone again.

Promotion game against Bristol Rovers.

Beating Portsmouth in a midweek game in about 1992 and finishing their play off hopes, as well as getting at least one of their players sent off.

Fans United in the fog.

Codner's goal to finish off Millwall in the play off semi-final

Wendy's play-off clinching free kick against Ipswich and Digweed's penalty save in the same game.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
chips and gravy said:
I remember that Stoke game - it was a lovely sunny day and it was the time of the inflatables. I remember loads that day! They also spent most of the match singing Delilah! (Why do they sing that btw?)

Thats the bastards, Stoke. Well funny day.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Jimmy Case knocking out an opposition player with a free kick during his second spell with us. And the time both him and Ian Chapman managed to get players stretchered off in the same game!!

???

Deano's Right Foot

Jul 5, 2003
Barcombe
Early nineties were good days indeed. Newcastle 4-0 and in the North stand for West Ham when Byrne scuffed a shot from the edge of the box for Mklosko to somehow manage to let it squirm under his body. Ipswich and Millwall were fantastic, and I also remember a phase in which it was de rigeur to throw many Pepperamis up and down in the North Stand to the chant of "Salami, Salami" (a la "Blue Army").

...One game where our opponents hit the bar three times - the chant of "We love you crossbar, we do"...John Robinson running past the corner flag in the South West Corner and onto the concrete and not wanting to fall over (having studs on of course)it took him until reaching the gate out of the ground to pull up - thought he'd gone home! Liverpool replay - you just knew they'd score in extra time but we gave them a good run for their money. ...Striking partnership of Small and Byrne, the pile of Lloyds fag-ends in front of the dugout after the game...

Oh, the memories...

:clap:

Albion Rob

Against Huddersfield, 0-0 draw around 1995. They had a player with the biggest ears imaginable (pic was in the programme) and he got injured about 10 yards from the North Stand on the far side. He limped off and rather than face our mocking, he walked all the way down and past the South Stand. All you could hear was: "Bye bye, Big Ears, by bye, big ears..." to the tune of "Come on Brighton Come on..." Really loud and really funny.

Deano's Right Foot

Jul 5, 2003
Barcombe
Albion Rob said:
Against Huddersfield, 0-0 draw around 1995. They had a player with the biggest ears imaginable (pic was in the programme) and he got injured about 10 yards from the North Stand on the far side. He limped off and rather than face our mocking, he walked all the way down and past the South Stand. All you could hear was: "Bye bye, Big Ears, by bye, big ears..." to the tune of "Come on Brighton Come on..." Really loud and really funny.

That reminds me - the Wolfman who played for Leyton Orient - what a freak! Legs like tree trunks, hair halfway down his back, not very tall - he was a funny shape man!

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Kevin Francis was the guy who hit the crossbar 3 times in one game.

I remember that jug-eared Huddersfield player very well, we were gobsmacked when we saw his photo in the programme. Think he was called Simon something or other.

What about Danny Bailey, long haired git who played for Exeter amongst other clubs (perhaps he was the wolfman referred to by DRF above?)

Anyone remember Perry Digweed's eye watering injury against West Brom? :eek:

y2dave

Jul 23, 2003
Bracknell
Albion Rob said:

Was at that game and the players name was Simon Trevitt, he had the biggest lugholes I've seen. Got the programme at home.

I especially liked beating Cardiff 2-0 under Steve Gritt - great atmosphere, 4-4 v Orient, and a scrappy 1-0 victory over Exeter the game after fans utd.

The Exeter game was great as we were on a high after fans utd, the Goldstone atmosphere and support was back and the team responded.

Shegull

Jul 7, 2003
On a Bed of Roses
Always remember walking up from Hove Station among the sea of blue and white. As soon as you got to the Goldstone there was a tremendous atmosphere and everybody rushing to get through the turnstiles to get the best place they could on the terraces (before it became all seater). It didn't matter what game there always was a buzz and great atmosphere in the ground which I will never forget.

I particularly remember the game against Aston Villa in the 7'1 -'72 season when we won 3-1 with the "Irish Jig" goal from Willie Irvine. Think it came 3rd in Match of the Day Goal of the Season. Got promoted that year along with Aston Villa.

Happy Happy Memories :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Going to Withdean for the Plymouth match but have to wonder whether it could ever come close to my memories of the Goldstone.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here