Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Great Escape Poll

How do you feel about the Great Escape chant?

• Sounded awesome: we should sing it every game

Votes: 21 24.1%
  • Sounded awesome: we should turn to it again when things look bleak

Votes: 50 57.5%
  • Sounded awesome, but it was a one-off

Votes: 15 17.2%
  • Actually, I didn't like it much

Votes: 1 1.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Pre planned stuff has been proven to fail. No need to discuss this surely. The fans proved last week we dont need song sheets , words on screens or pre determined songs. If the situation arises we step up.

So to answer the Q, Yeah lets sing it again if the situation dictates. Just for shits and giggles at 0 - 0 or whatever is a bit pointless.

Keep it in the locker and bring it out when really required. Lets not have pockets of kids trying to get it going for the sake of it as that just makes it shit

Oct 2, 2008
Spot on. This was awesome at the Burnley game but it wont work if we use it all the time.
Pre planned stuff has been proven to fail. No need to discuss this surely. The fans proved last week we dont need song sheets , words on screens or pre determined songs. If the situation arises we step up.

So to answer the Q, Yeah lets sing it again if the situation dictates. Just for shits and giggles at 0 - 0 or whatever is a bit pointless.

Keep it in the locker and bring it out when really required. Lets not have pockets of kids trying to get it going for the sake of it as that just makes it shit

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Not a big fan of singing The Great Escape to be honest. It always gets on my nerves at England games when that band are always playing it. Last week was a bit unique and appropriate at the time but I wouldn't particularly want to hear it again.

I agree with the post above about singing more individual player songs. I used to like it years ago at Withdean when we would go through each player at the start of the match:
FDM, Paul Watson, Cullip, Butters, OGH, BZ, Nathan Jones, Leon Knight and even Chris Mcphee all had songs/chants as well as Mcghee's pints of whiskey!

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Went for second option myself. If we were to go into an early two goal lead it just would not work, and tbh the whole ground would not sing it. What would we be escaping from?

Obviously happy to sing it at every game, in a couple of seasons, when we may be struggling against relegation in the Prem.

kip

Aug 2, 2011
definitely save it for when we are up against it. Sounded good though - even my 4 year old was joining in - although he does sing 'sussex by the sea' better and louder than most.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Should only be sung when the situation dictates tbh. Otherwise it would be a bit like singing "We're going to Wemberley" during a league match!

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
I don't know about sing it at every game but it would sound better than half the rubbish we sing regularly.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Where is the

"sounded great,but we should turn to it again when things look bleak,but actually deep down i like it and think we should roll with it,for now until something better comes along,and we can at least sing it slowly,also i won't have to pretend i don't like it when i do,just because others may see my result on NSC" option?

New Carpet?

Aug 23, 2009
As good as it was against Burnley, it should only be saved for situations where it appears all and sundry are against us and/or when it's a back-to-the-wall job (such as the latter stages against Coventry for example).

c0lz

North East Stand.
Jan 26, 2010
Patcham/Brighton
Sounded awesome: we should turn to it again when things look bleak?

why would you want to wait till we losing before the whole crowd gets behind the team in the way we did against Burnley ,the supporters loved it the players loved it so why wait?

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
If the poll had an "Only in the face of adversity" option instead of "when things look bleak", I would participate. Bleak kind of means when we cant get it out of our own half or pass the ball.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here