Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gravitatational waves discovered

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Fully understand your concern, David - after all, some people would find themselves out of a job!

One question though: If the universe really was created by God.... where was he standing?
l

Firstly, I didn't bring God into it, and I am NOT a creationist.

Secondly, I personally am happy to work on the basis that there are some things we are not meant to know. I do not have the insatiable curiosity that some others have about such things. I just wonder at the extent of "it all".

And thirdly, I really did not understand the comments when the Higgs-Boson stuff was around that this would lead to us being able to identify how "it" all started and we wouldn't need God. Maybe God was there to push the button in the first place, which comes back to your question, where was he (or she) standing.

I think we should get Mulder and Scully on to it.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I will try

If the universe (as we know it) didn't exist and all there was was a giant amount of matter in a very small space moments before the big bang took place there would have been no universe for God to be in to be able to create that big bang, so therefore, what existed before the big bang took place (in the space that our universe now occupies and so on) and how was the source material created (where did the material for the big bang come from?)

Is it possible that there was ever a time when there was "nothing"..........

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
I will try

If the universe (as we know it) didn't exist and all there was was a giant amount of matter in a very small space moments before the big bang took place there would have been no universe for God to be in to be able to create that big bang, so therefore, what existed before the big bang took place (in the space that our universe now occupies and so on) and how was the source material created (where did the material for the big bang come from?)

So the assumption is that God only exists within the universe and not anywhere else?

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
on the known timescale it works - on the first day God created the heavens and the earth and so on and so forth. But the first day is 24 hours, which is a perfectly long enough time for God Himself to have been created in the first nano-seconds, i.e. the Big Bang was the creation of God and then He went off and did everything else.

on laws of physics and evolution God has a harder time existing, but I like the concept that God was belched out at the very beginning. Maybe all potential universes are God-containing embryos, and every now and again one is born.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Does NSC have the most intelligent posters in the country? What other club could host a forum with a thread like this? I'm guessing Brian Cox, Brian May and, of course, Stephen Hawking are already posting on this thread.

Mind you, BG could easily be Stephen Hawking. The clues are there - poor mobility, lots of power points needed at home while trapped in his poor damaged body listening to Adele CDs. Endlessly searching the universe for clues to black holes and left backs from other dimensions and leagues afar.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
How will this change the way we view the universe?

A simple question obviously for the clever people on NSC

Hopelessly clue less about what this means, or happily clueless even!

I'll still view the universe the same way, it's black with sparkly stuff.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Or you could be right or could be wrong.

Schroedinger's Dick head.

Walk through Toad Valley, may the road rise with you.

Sweeney Todd

Apr 24, 2008
Oxford/Lancing
Gravitational waves have been discovered. So that’s what keeps drawing me into the pub on a Friday night.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Further evidence of the waves http://Breakthrough for Scientists Comes in the Form of Another Gravitational Wave - TrendinTech https://apple.news/AoVUlVKfxTuCvJLL2R4cCNw

It's taken 100 years to start to prove some of Einstein's theories - incredible. Got me thinking about the other thread about voting age, Einstein was 26 when he had his annus mirabilis and published 4 ground breaking papers. For some he wouldn't have had enough experience to vote! He could transform our knowledge of the entire universe, but voting, what would he know!? :lolol:

Joking aside, these continue to be incredible discoveries.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Further evidence of the waves http://Breakthrough for Scientists Comes in the Form of Another Gravitational Wave - TrendinTech https://apple.news/AoVUlVKfxTuCvJLL2R4cCNw

It's taken 100 years to start to prove some of Einstein's theories - incredible. Got me thinking about the other thread about voting age, Einstein was 26 when he had his annus mirabilis and published 4 ground breaking papers. For some he wouldn't have had enough experience to vote! He could transform our knowledge of the entire universe, but voting, what would he know!? :lolol:

Link doesn't work for me...

I've done a few online courses about this sort of stuff over the last three years, and have now reached the point where the only way I can further expand my knowledge is to learn a LOT more maths; bloody complex maths at that. On the one hand, I want to learn more about the subject, on the other, I'm really not sure that I want, or am even intellectually capable at my age, to learn more maths when I'll only be able to talk about what I've learned with a small number of folk who speak that language.

Might start looking at history of art instead! Or possibly a return to philosophy.

Brilliant that the experimentalists are now really being able to start proving some of the theories though, as you say.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham

Einstein may have been a genius, but he couldn't get a web link to work !

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

I've done a few online courses about this sort of stuff over the last three years, and have now reached the point where the only way I can further expand my knowledge is to learn a LOT more maths; bloody complex maths at that. On the one hand, I want to learn more about the subject, on the other, I'm really not sure that I want, or am even intellectually capable at my age, to learn more maths when I'll only be able to talk about what I've learned with a small number of folk who speak that language.

Might start looking at history of art instead! Or possibly a return to philosophy.

Brilliant that the experimentalists are now really being able to start proving some of the theories though, as you say.

Einstein may have been a genius, but he couldn't get a web link to work !

:dunce:

http://trendintech.com/2017/06/12/breakthrough-for-scientists-comes-in-the-form-of-another-gravitational-wave/

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003

Which online courses if you don't mind me asking? I'm genuinely interested in fitting in stuff like this around work/real life.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Which online courses if you don't mind me asking? I'm genuinely interested in fitting in stuff like this around work/real life.

Not sure about this subject, but I have done online courses via Udemy, and I am just about to publish a course of my own - hoping to finish it in the next week or two. The courses I have done via this site have been very good, and there are thousands of them on all subjects, but as anyone can publish, you need to be aware of the reviews and rating that others have given it (even though the review system has flaws)

jabba

Jul 15, 2009
York
I only read it quickly, so, how fast is gravity ? How quickly are gravitational forces felt ?

This is a very salient question. They can only date the event that generated the waves if they make assumptions about the speed of wave propagation. Does the paradigm of nothing faster than the speed of light hold true for these waves?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here