Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Graham potter turns down Ajax ...

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I don't see why it's so hard for you to accept that de Zerbi took over a very good team, that was in a very good place, that Potter's good work had got them to.

As has been said before, it's not binary, one manager good, the other bad. Just get used to it.
We'll never know whether if it was A.N.Other manager who took over from Chris Hughton instead of Potter whether he'd have turned the ship around far quicker with the wealth of talent at his disposal. Personally I reckon Potter's input was fairly incidental to the turnaround

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
We'll never know whether if it was A.N.Other manager who took over from Chris Hughton instead of Potter whether he'd have turned the ship around far quicker with the wealth of talent at his disposal. Personally I reckon Potter's input was fairly incidental to the turnaround
Well no, we certainly never expected anything else from you! :lolol:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Or that if A.N.Other wouldn't have taken Potter's team and still finished 6th. Such is the world of hypotheticals.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
We'll all be watching his next appointment - assuming he even wants one - with great interest
You'll be watching with great interest because you're looking for your opinion to be confirmed. Most of us won't be showing great interest because what he did here is done, what he does next is really neither here nor there.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
You'll be watching with great interest because you're looking for your opinion to be confirmed. Most of us won't be showing great interest because what he did here is done, what he does next is really neither here nor there.
Really? Seems to generate a load of threads and endless dialogue. You might be a minority there. Nevermind, each to their own

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Really? Seems to generate a load of threads and endless dialogue. You might be a minority there. Nevermind, each to their own
Potter is part of our history, so quite happily post about his time here all day long. A great interest in where and what he does next - not so much.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
We finished 17th in the season before Potter arrived; during Potter's last full season, we finished 9th. That is quite an improvement, isn't it?

You could say that he developed the squad so that RDZ got to a Europa League place at his first attempt. Mind, during that 22/23 season, we had 13 points in our first 6 matches under Potter.
Quite a decent achievement CH keeping us in the PL for two seasons with 90% of a championship squad. Or rather would you have us done a Burnley giving it a go and getting smashed most weeks.
People are wetting themselves over Edward’s & Luton under CH we never dropped into the bottom three.

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
I think you just have people that take a dislike to someone, whether a player or manager, and no matter what happens, they can't get passed that.

It’s like trying to make someone change their minds on “their” political party/opinions or Brexit, complete and utter waste of time :smile:

I am of the opinion that RDZ would not have achieved what he did last season without the groundwork done by Potter, and no bugger will make me change my mind :lolol:

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I don't see why it's so hard for you to accept that de Zerbi took over a very good team, that was in a very good place, that Potter's good work had got them to.

As has been said before, it's not binary, one manager good, the other bad. Just get used to it.
It’s two contrastingly different styles, both pass out from the back and that’s where it ends. RDZ plays with wingers & prefers a four, Potter was down the middle and preferred a three.

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
What happens after Potter has been given time? Is this one of footballs biggest myths. After three seasons we didn’t achieve that much a mid table finish no cup runs of note despite having a pretty decent squad that RDZ got to a Europa league place at the first attempt.
What a load of bollocks, RDZ came into a team that had finally clicked. Finishing 9th after several seasons of relegation battles not to mention the turnaround when football started again after the shutdown was a major turning point. Sure RDZ shifted things up a gear, but to accuse Potter of not achieving much is bloody absurd.

Krafty

Apr 19, 2023
Quite a decent achievement CH keeping us in the PL for two seasons with 90% of a championship squad. Or rather would you have us done a Burnley giving it a go and getting smashed most weeks.
People are wetting themselves over Edward’s & Luton under CH we never dropped into the bottom three.
I don’t know why you have quoted me, as it doesn’t relate with what I have said. But, I agree that CH did an incredible job in getting Brighton to the top division and keeping us in the PL for two seasons.

Our rise in the PL has been down to all three managers. And I praise all of them highly for what they have done here, even if some dismiss it.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I don’t know why you have quoted me, as it doesn’t relate with what I have said. But, I agree that CH did an incredible job in getting Brighton to the top division and keeping us in the PL for two seasons.

Our rise in the PL has been down to all three managers. And I praise all of them highly for what they have done here, even if some dismiss it.
From Hughton to Potter to RDZ we've progressed. All served the club well. At the end of the day, we sacked Hughton who was keen to stay, Potter went when we were keen to keep him. What RDZ does remains to be seen.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
RDZ has taken 91 points from 61 games as Brighton manager and we have been the 8th best team points-wise in that time. The fairest way to compare RDZ to Potter is probably to look at Potter's final 61 games, as you can't really go back to Potters first seasons - as the squad obviously wasn't as good then. So...

In Potter's final 61 games we took 86 points, and were also 8th best team in the league during that time.

So the records are actually very similar, with RDZ being slightly better.

Where you could argue that De Zerbi edges it is that we've sold more of our star players whilst he's been here: Caicedo, Mac Allister, Sanchez, and Trossard all sold under De Zerbi. Additionally, Bissouma and Cucurella had only just been sold when he came in, so you could fairly argue that he was more affected by those sales than Potter was.

I think Potter was a good manager who actually didn't have that much luck. I've never seen so many one-sided draws and defeats as that penultimate full season we had with him, and I doubt I ever will. But I would also say that RDZ is a better manager. If RDZ was replaced with Potter, I very much suspect it would be more of the same, with the quality of recruitments determining how successful he was rather than his management skills.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I think Potter's turnaround was nothing short of remarkable. He completely changed the way we played, and whilst many point to the lack of goals for much of his spell there were very good signs that was improving.

So many clubs, cough Palace, have tried to transition their football under a new manager and failed miserably. It is not very easy. Potter laid a great foundation for RDZ to follow and it would be nonsense to not acknowledge that just because of the irritating way he left and nicked all the staff.

If we are talking hypertheticals, none of us know where we'd have finished under Potter had he stayed the whole of last season, but we were certainly looking very good before he left.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
It’s two contrastingly different styles, both pass out from the back and that’s where it ends. RDZ plays with wingers & prefers a four, Potter was down the middle and preferred a three.
Completely missing the point. The difference is that taking over a successful team, that is absolutely buzzing, in a brilliantly run and stable club, is an amazing start for any manager. Most new managers take over a team that's gone wrong, not one that the previous manager has already got flying!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here