Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Government offing £350 a month to host Ukrainian refugees.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
The important thing to remember is the government are still pushing ahead with their Nationality and Borders bill condemned by the UNHCR..

bomber130

bomber130
Jun 10, 2011
Ha Ha. I'd like to see this one away from your keyboard.

One thing about me is I do not hide behind a keyboard. If you have an issue with me PM me and I will give you my address.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
One thing about me is I do not hide behind a keyboard. If you have an issue with me PM me and I will give you my address.

I appreciate this post isn’t aimed at me, but you could give any address? No one would know if it was yours or not.

bomber130

bomber130
Jun 10, 2011
I appreciate this post isn’t aimed at me, but you could give any address? No one would know if it was yours or not.

They would if they decided to come knock on my door. My point was that I do not hide behind my keyboard. If someone was that interested in wishing to discuss face to face why would I not give my address.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Now the Queen won’t be living in Buckingham Palace why don’t we use the 800-odd rooms there?

I was wondering myself why the government hadn't already announced that Buck House would be turned over to house refugees. You could fit in a lot in the 775 rooms.

Once all the precious things have been packed away what reasons are there not to house refugees?

Time to set an example ma'am. Do the right thing.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
£350 a month to host an immigrant who had a been displaced by war. Unless they’re brown and they’ve been displaced; in part, by us, then fingers crossed they die in the sea on the way here.

What a country.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Ah, so only a request to the wealthy to be charitable?

There will be plenty of people claiming the two benefits I mentioned, along with other means tested benefits, who may have room to assist, but could get caught in government earnings related red-tape.

Failing that, I'm sure Jacob Rees-Mogg and some of his colleagues could throw their doors open to assist.

With 6 kids and Nanny all living in the house, JRM might have trouble fitting in more than a couple of dozen in his Mansion.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I was wondering myself why the government hadn't already announced that Buck House would be turned over to house refugees. You could fit in a lot in the 775 rooms.

Once all the precious things have been packed away what reasons are there not to house refugees?

Time to set an example ma'am. Do the right thing.

There are one of two of these laying around

[tweet]1503276264144224257[/tweet]

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Somebody got very twitchy about the squatters/protestors.

[tweet]1503358838480769029[/tweet]

Am I surprised? Nope. Thatcher started using the police force as a political tool and it has continued, to a greater or lesser degree, ever since.

So the "instutionally corrupt" Met police is now being used to protect a Russian oligarch's property. Shame on them.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Whilst I sympathise for the Ukrainians £350 a month to let them live rent free is a bit of an insult. I live alone which means my council tax would increase. Plus god knows how much my gas/electric/and water usage would also increase. Would any NSC people host for this amount. Discuss.

If I didn't have a 7 year old, I would.

It's not a Ukranian thing, I wouldn't trust anyone I don't know in the house with my little one (students, overseas or otherwise)

arfer guinness

Feb 15, 2007
Whilst I sympathise for the Ukrainians £350 a month to let them live rent free is a bit of an insult. I live alone which means my council tax would increase. Plus god knows how much my gas/electric/and water usage would also increase. Would any NSC people host for this amount. Discuss.

I can't believe the amount of abuse the OP has received for pointing out how it would affect someone in his situation. I hope the self righteous on here who criticise will indeed take someone in and, if they are in that that position, donate the £350 to another worthwhile cause.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I can't believe the amount of abuse the OP has received for pointing out how it would affect someone in his situation. I hope the self righteous on here who criticise will indeed take someone in and, if they are in that that position, donate the £350 to another worthwhile cause.

Saying he was "insulted" was a bit strong, I might have said it was a shame if I couldn't afford to do it, but not an insult.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

But most councils will let you keep single person discount if you take in a refugee (either for a period of time 3-6 months, or longer). And although gas / electric / water might increase slightly, I am not sure it is hugely beyond what is already being paid.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

My point was the thought of you calling the 6' 4"Big Nuts a c*** to his knife scarred face.
Personally I have no interest in knowing where you live.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Will be interesting to see how this hosting initiative plays out in the context of this relatively recent phenomenon era of 'shaming.'

Already on BBC Breakfast this morning the host (Charlie Stayt) asked Sajid Javid if he would be taking in refugees, which doesn't really progress the debate much. Of course, Sajid Javid didn't want to answer that question directly and simply said he had been discussing with his wife what they could do as a family. What he should have said is, "No, I won't be hosting any refugees. But since you ask, will you?"

I can imagine there will be lots of people suggesting others should put themselves forward for hosting refugees - whilst stating particular circumstances that prevent them from doing so themselves. For the record I shan't be hosting any refugees but at the same time I won't be looking around and suggesting other people do what I'm not prepared to do myself.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here