Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

GOSBTS will never be sung SLOWLY.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
When everyone joined in with the opera singer, they just looked confused when their speed clapping didn't match the PROPER tempo of our anthem.

Some things can't be changed.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Well we have 2 gigantic screens now-lets use them, Karaoke anyone?

Rich Suvner

Skint years RIP
Jul 17, 2003
Worthing
my suggestion is a re-recorded version for the PA

personally i think the fans currently sing it too quickly (towards the end), and bands play it too slowly for football fans to adopt

southwickseagull

Mar 4, 2004
southwick
Rubbish!!! I thought it went very well. A few weeks training, words on the big screen, the full version and the five minutes before kick off will be awesome.

The other confusing thing about SBTS is that the "GOSBTS" bit comes after TWO bits of preamble (which each have different tunes).

As written:-

Now is the time for marching
Now let your hearts be gay
Hark to the merry bugles
Sounding along our way
So let your voices ring, my boys,
And take the time from me
And I'll sing you a song, as we march along,
Of Sussex by the Sea.

For we're the men from Sussex
Sussex by the sea,
We plough and sow and reap and mow,
And useful men we are we:
And when you go from Sussex,
Whoever you may be,
You tell them all that we stand or fall
For Sussex by the sea.

Oh, Sussex, Sussex by the sea
Good old Sussex by the Sea
You may tell them all that we stand or fall
For Sussex by the sea.

Most people seem to want a premature ejaculation of the GOSBTS bit.

The Terminator

Aug 7, 2010
i thought the north sung it very well the first time we tried it after the singer , it was kept at a good pace

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Can we have a little white bouncing ball rather than the lyrics changing colour, so that people know where they are in the song?

Yes that could work-

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
My view is either sing it at the correct speed or dont bother at all because sung at a faster speed it sounds awful and as if we wished it to hurry up and finish.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
A few people where I was sat looked confused and couldn't seem to wait for it to go fast.. I worry that your right and we'll never hear it done slowly :(

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
My view is either sing it at the correct speed or dont bother at all because sung at ra faster speed it sounds awful and as if we wished it to hurry up and finish.

It can still be very good sung at the correct speed,it's just not easy to get a whole football crowd to sing it as it does not lend it's self to being shouted at....

Sussex By The Sea

i feel requires good old fashioned singing and not football shouted chanting.

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
everyone KNOWS the real words are
good ol sus bysea

:)

clarkey

Jan 3, 2006
i thought the north sung it very well the first time we tried it after the singer , it was kept at a good pace

Was quite funny that when everyone had finished, there was one guy absolutely belting it on his own at the 'correct' speed and he was still only about half way through!

It can still be very good sung at the correct speed,it's just not easy to get a whole football crowd to sing it as it does not lend it's self to being shouted at....

Sussex By The Sea

i feel requires good old fashioned singing and not football shouted chanting.
Just to prove that a bunch of beered-up blokes CAN sing it at the right speed (albeit with the wrong words) ...

[yt]wJDgJDQ90NE[/yt]

tonymgc

Banned
May 8, 2010
Drive by abusing

As long as the majority dictate the pace the melts who insist on singing it at techno speed will have to slow it down.
Same with new songs as long as the majority keep going with them they will catch on...

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Just to prove that a bunch of beered-up blokes CAN sing it at the right speed (albeit with the wrong words) ...

[yt]wJDgJDQ90NE[/yt]

Brilliant

Edit-discipline that's what it's all about & beer.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
¤DãŃn¥ §êãGüLL¤;4265159 said:
I tried singing it at the same pace as the band and finished about 2 months behind everyone else. We've completely butchered that song.

Perhaps somebody could lead an official "Sussex By The Sea" party..............strip it back to it's roots & push for a correct version to be sung at matches.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
When everyone joined in with the opera singer, they just looked confused when their speed clapping didn't match the PROPER tempo of our anthem.

Some things can't be changed.

I think they can if enough people want to make it happen. Spurs used to to sing "Oh when the Saints" at a much faster tempo, they've slowed it right down and when the whole stadium sing it is a magnificent sound.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here