Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

GOSBTS - can we now just BIN the "going up to win the cup" bit ?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Since the words have been displayed I think stand or fall is sung by the majority now. May change if we are in the play off final. for a one off game and is then more relevant

In 1978 I used to sing "going up to win the cup" and that's what I'll always sing (I also sing "Going down Old Shore'em Road to see Alan Mullery's aces" as well) as for you, you can sing "Blowing pups sue bin f**k up" for all I care, it's gonna affect my life in no way whatsoever, in the same way an opinion on here will have no influence on what is sung at the stadium.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
If we win the play off final we will go up, and win a cup all at the same time. :moo:

STAND OR FALL!!!

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I prefer "stand or fall" it says far more about us as fans, not giving up and securing the homeland in more ways than one and shows respect to the fallen from Sussex.

Going up to win the cup is lame, and frankly laughable during league games... I don't get it "are we playing in the cup" asked my six year old.... Eeeerrrr no it's what they have always sang.... My daughters reply "that's silly"

Yep.

Technohead

Aug 10, 2013
Burgess Hill
It's interesting that early on in the season, if you listened to radio Sussex, you'd distinctly hear "win the cup". On Monday, I thought it sounded more like "stand or fall".

Always stand or fall from me, but I Monday night I thought the opposite to yourself. On arriving home from the match I watched it on Sky and was disappointed to hear "win the cup" coming through loudest. None the less, still sounded impressive and brought a lump to the throat.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
I thought it was a trophy....

You could fill that with champers or cash you didn't want to pay tax on.

In my books thats a cup.

Derby-County-v-Queens-Park-Rangers-Sky-Bet-Championship-Playoff-Final.jpg

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
People are quite stubborn. I'm always singing 'stand or fall' and most of those around me have also switched to it, but it's noticeable a majority still sing 'win the cup'.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Hell yes. Stand or fall all the way. It is sung lustily in the WSU, in our section at least.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Stand or Fall.

You can still go up ( to London ) to win the Cup of course on FA Cup Final days.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
People are quite stubborn. I'm always singing 'stand or fall' and most of those around me have also switched to it, but it's noticeable a majority still sing 'win the cup'.

I'm from the 83 FA Cup fever era, and I used to sing; "And we're going up to win the Cup", but Stand or Fall today is far more sophisticated. Stand or Fall #Together

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
"And we're going up for to win the cup"
Strange thing is that, according to the NSC folk, it should be 'stand or fall' and yet this season alone I've been in the East Upper every game except North (only once) and amidst the hard core away fans at 6 grounds and ALL sing 'going up'.
In fact I don't think I've heard 'stand or fall'
After 40 years I am not going to change.

That's exactly my feeling. But I'd be prepared to change if change happens. Like Enrest, we need to learn to sing it slower, in time with the tune played. If WHU and Liverpool can learn to sing their anthems in time with the tune now played over the PA, surely we can match them?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here