Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gorgeous George's Autumn Statement

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
You haven't read the answer have you ? There wouldn't be any non social rentals, why should there be if the state housing stock provided for everyone ?

You clearly don't understand the market then. Even social housing companies make a profit. The one I'm currently working with made 6.5 billion last year. Social, council and private rentals are needed.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
You haven't read the answer have you ? There wouldn't be any non social rentals, why should there be if the state housing stock provided for everyone ?

maybe you go back, re-read and try again. you said "buy to letters should be taxed ", presumably on all buy to let. i accept there should probably be some rules around ex-social housing. though we live in a world that assumes property rights, and im sure you wouldnt like those just torn up (maybe you do).

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
The reality is that there is nothing wrong with renting, it's almost always the cheaper option (though people always do a simple comparison between rental and mortgage payments) and allows for great flexibility. What we should be doing is enforcing strict rent controls and stronger rights for tenants.

It really isn't. If you can get a mortgage there's hardly any difference between the monthly repayments and what a rental would cost you on the same property. The big kicker in this is the deposit which you need to get a mortgage, which most people don't have and can't afford to save because their rent is X amount of their monthly income.

You can dress it up however you like, but having rented for 5 years before being able to buy my house in 2011 I know which one I prefer - renting is sh*t and I feel very lucky that I don't have to do it anymore.

The only way out is more social housing. Rent controls and stronger rights won't work in the private market.

Here's Johnny!

All work and no play.....
Nov 27, 2008
Worthing
Can any of you tell me if I may benefit from the update to stamp duty or be one of the last to be hit by the previous set up:

I'm buying a property for £180k and have exchanged contracts but won't complete the sale until 16th Jan 2015.

Thanks for any help provided.

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
As I've said many times, the Tories have not increased their vote, and the SNP have categorically stated they will move to put Ed into power if parliament is hung. It's not Gorgeous George, it's Goodbye George.

Labour and the SNP.......now there's a cocktail I wouldn't fancy. The worst combination possible the snp lead by Sturgeon would relish the chance to'put one over them down in westminster. Believe me it really would be a nightmare.

Kevlar

Dec 20, 2013
congratulations where it is due
the coalition abandoned its reckless plans to cut the government sector deficit
(the private sector surplus) to 0 in 5 years
instead they have delivered the labour plan of halving it
although both parties plans to run government sector surpluses
(private sector deficits ) in the next parliament when the country (government +private sector)
deficit with the rest of the world is high and been rising in last 5 years
is pure madness .
I am sure pragmatism will once again rule the government will abandon this mad plan
to drive the uk private sector into deficit which will undoubtably kill off what is
already the longest recovery ever recorded in the uk

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Up to £937k will pay less, 98% of sales.
A 275k deal pays £3k not £8k as now but at £2.1m it's £20k more than now....£750m less return to gov

Estate agents are already saying that any potential savings on stamp duty will just be added to the asking price valuation. On the market today at £275k but tomorrow a price change to £280k.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
I can't see a thread on this yet, although I'm not surprised our left-wing fringe are keeping their heads down.

It was an absolute triumph from the chancellor who put the 'Great' back into 'Great Britain' after the last lot highlighted, bolded and underlined the 'bust' in 'boom & bust'.

It's very difficult to pick out an individual highlight when there were so many, but the complete overhaul of the ridiculous stamp duty bands is long overdue. What is your favourite?
Have you been on the cider again today?

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
They would say that, but I'm calling bullshit :thumbsup:

Valuation is just a starting point, supply and demand will always dictate the sale price.

Watch the prices creep up in areas where vendors are assured of getting full asking price (or more).

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I can't see a thread on this yet, although I'm not surprised our left-wing fringe are keeping their heads down.

It was an absolute triumph from the chancellor who put the 'Great' back into 'Great Britain' after the last lot highlighted, bolded and underlined the 'bust' in 'boom & bust'.

It's very difficult to pick out an individual highlight when there were so many, but the complete overhaul of the ridiculous stamp duty bands is long overdue. What is your favourite?

Thanks Bozza. You've earlier claimed that you're not a Tory, and haven't chosen to respond to a question as to whether you'd vote Tory, but this seems pretty compelling.
My favourite moment was Alastair Darling getting up and asking why 'Gorgeous George' based his entire election campaign claiming that reducing the deficit by half in the parliament would be disastrous -- that was Darling's policy -- and that he'd cut the entire deficit during this parliament. The smirk falling of his face was better still.
Now let's recap what went on:
-- the Coalition inherited a precarious yet growing economy, and plunged it back into recession; it's subsequently grown, but took a long while. Projected growth for the entire parliament is pitiful. There's no comparison between this government and New Labour's three parliaments, despite your diatribe.
-- the 'deficit reduction strategy' has failed, and there are growing numbers that recognise as much. Check this out, for instance, which features the FT's head honcho, Martin Wolf, who has spent the past few decades forging the neoliberal offensive, on the subject of 'deficit reduction' or deploying Osborne's metaphor which seeks to equate states with households: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04n304k
-- when all the taxation changes, and spending cuts are factored in, what's happened in this parliament is a massive transfer of wealth from the poorer to the richer -- scapegoating the most vulnerable sections of society in the process
-- Osborne's plan is to shrink the state in the next parliament to levels not seen since the 1930s; this will require further spending cuts of up to 60% in most government departments
-- the Tories particularly like to crow about the reductions in unemployment during this parliament. Go back half a century, and it was considered a disgrace if there were 0.25m unemployed; if we used the measures that were used back then, the unemployment count would be nearer 6m or 7m
-- meanwhile the Met Office reveal that this year will be the hottest on record in the UK, stretching back to the seventeenth century, and that seven of the warmest ten years have occurred recently, whereas Osborne was instrumental in getting Cameron to 'cut the green crap', and the latest IPCC report finds the evidence getting firmer on this issue, which is the most studied piece of science ever put together.

mwrpoole

Sep 10, 2010
Sevenoaks
G
Can any of you tell me if I may benefit from the update to stamp duty or be one of the last to be hit by the previous set up:

I'm buying a property for £180k and have exchanged contracts but won't complete the sale until 16th Jan 2015.

Thanks for any help provided.

You're better off, but as you've exchanged contracts before today you are able to choose the old or new rates, whichever best for you. I think you'd pay £1800 under the old rules & £1100 under the new.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
G

You're better off, but as you've exchanged contracts before today you are able to choose the old or new rates, whichever best for you. I think you'd pay £1800 under the old rules & £1100 under the new.

A free ST from George...merry Xmas

Here's Johnny!

All work and no play.....
Nov 27, 2008
Worthing
G

That is a very welcome bit of news! Thanks for confirming...imagine I'll be requesting the new rates (or getting my head examined!).

HOFNSKIN

Feb 12, 2012
The Irish Brigands last throw of the dice before the general election?

Will the historical activities @ ELM GUEST HOUSE over whelm the current spin?.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Thanks Bozza. You've earlier claimed that you're not a Tory, and haven't chosen to respond to a question as to whether you'd vote Tory, but this seems pretty compelling.

What question? I get so many notifications, most of them just pass me by.

Screen Shot 2014-12-03 at 22.00.48.png

You can believe what you want, I really don't care. You seem to be accusing me of being a liar, however, which I do care about. You also don't seem to be able to recognise when I start a debate in a way fashioned to garner responses.

TotallyFreaked

Jul 2, 2011

View attachment 60598

You can believe what you want, I really don't care. You seem to be accusing me of being a liar, however, which I do care about. You also don't seem to be able to recognise when I start a debate in a way fashioned to garner responses.

Nothing wrong with a bit of click bait. Just out of interest since the change in The Seagulls fortunes over the last few months are there a lot less visits to NSC?

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

View attachment 60598

I'm certainly not accusing you of being a liar, and entirely accept that you get no end of messages on here. I'm wondering how you've come to the view that I've accused you of being a liar. You've entered into a political debate, and I've responded from the fringe. For what it's worth, my feeling is that it's not what you've said that I'd rather flag up, but what you haven't, which was the point of the opening salvo of that rather long but accurate post.
You've certainly succeeded in starting a debate, but it's for others to ascertain whether you've done so in a neutral manner.

Politics matters. As does NSC, and thanks for what you've done with this.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here