Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Gordon Moore - RIP

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
The Intel co-founder and microchip pioneer has sadly died aged 94.

Mr Moore predicted the growth of computing power two decades before the PC revolution and 40 years before the launch of Apple and the iPhone.
In contrast to:-
n the early 1940s, IBM's president, Thomas J Watson, reputedly said: "I think there is a world market for about five computers." Watson's legendary misjudgment did not prove fatal to his company.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
n the early 1940s, IBM's president, Thomas J Watson, reputedly said: "I think there is a world market for about five computers." Watson's legendary misjudgment did not prove fatal to his company.

I think that was how many mainframes were in Sussex when I trained as a programmer many many years ago :wink:

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
The Intel co-founder and microchip pioneer has sadly died aged 94.

Mr Moore predicted the growth of computing power two decades before the PC revolution and 40 years before the launch of Apple and the iPhone.
In the ‘60s he also predicted autonomous vehicles and mobile phones…

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Wasn’t it IBM (I’ve Been Moved) who in the 70s or 80s put all their efforts in to mainframes and rubbished the concept of the Personal Computer.

Their European Research HQ is just up the road from us at Hursley.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Wasn’t it IBM (I’ve Been Moved) who in the 70s or 80s put all their efforts in to mainframes and rubbished the concept of the Personal Computer.

Their European Research HQ is just up the road from us at Hursley.
They developed the IBM PC under protest but gave Microsoft the rights to the ms-dos operating system that they bought from them for $50k., because they thought the value was all in the hardware. IBM lost about $300 million on PCs whereas MS made hundreds of billions.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here