Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gordon Greer

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
I actually think Upson is the best I've seen in 20/30 odd years watching the albion. His almost comical moment on Sunday aside obviously. For a player to come from a team like Stoke who play so differently and fit in so seamlessly shows real talent. He's been excellent and the only other player i've seen as good was the one time Taricco slotted in there and showed the same class. Do like Greer too though. He shows the same qualities but I just think he isn't quite as consistent.

Just to second the comments about Bridcutt too. He really does shield them magnificently at times.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
For those who have watched Greer including the full Withdean part (I assume everyone here?), he has brought calmness, organisation and passing ability to the centre back pairing. If he missing eg for those suspensions he got at Withdean, the CB pairing generally lost that .... Elphick being the polar opposite for example.

From a great vantage point in WSU, on watching his play quite often, he still gives all that.

I know many this season seem to rate him as a weak link. I think the pluses outweigh the negatives.

El Abd ... He's good too. At the moment, the CB department is nicely sorted.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think that the biggest factor in Greer over El Abd is Adams tendency to manhandle players and that has been spotted and well documented and as such he is now likely to concede a penalty

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
I agree that Greer had a towering game against Palace. His recent absence then spell on the bench seemed to give him a hunger and energy from him that I haven't seen for some time. Long may it continue, especially with Upson.

It is a very timely return for Greer because although El Abd will die for the cause and can't fault his effort but he constantly walks a disciplinary tightrope and it is surprising that some of the trigger happy Refs haven't taken against him. Plus AEA's distribution is average at best.

Having said that I'm another who feels that Greer struggled particularly before Xmas and some teams (Leicester away especially) come to mind who recognised that he is pivotal moving the ball out from the back and immediately focused on shutting down Greer hard and fast, as a result he looked slow and weak.

As an old timer for me there is no contest when compared to Lawrenson. He was easily a notch or two better than any Albion CB since. Lawro was sheer class, a graceful 'Rolls Royce' of a CB with pace, comfortable on the ball, often making opposition players look like mugs. Could do the hard man too and his trademark was the clean sliding tackle to emerge with the ball, often followed by a rapid move upfield. We were privileged to see Lawro in an Albion shirt. His talent was a huge confidence boost to the team and a joy to watch from the terraces. The only downside was Lawro's rather arrogant attitude towards the Albion in recent years, which was sad considering that he really made his name with us before the Liverpool years. Thankfully he seems to have mellowed a bit now we are more fashionable.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here